Page 21 of 705 FirstFirst ... 111415161718192021222324252627283171121521 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Do you mean by nearly winning everything this season?

And let's be honest, even you admit that we didn't win the league due to corrupt authorities that help City.
    I've also been pretty consistent that best 11 v best 11, our 18-20 team would bum the current side, we could compete more easily in domestic cups, mostly with easy draws, with the better strength in depth, we did that, but failed to land either big trophy because our best 11 isn't as potent as it was in 18-20
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I’m over the moon with the Nunez signing. Let’s be honest, only a few weeks ago most of us laughed off the notion that we would even be in the hunt for him.

Let’s hope he’s as good as our last Uruguayan striker.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

I'm pretty excited, we need at least one top midfielder bringing in though

Nunez has a lot to offer, I think a lot of people are missing a trick thinking we should automatically change formation as it alters everyone's positions and runs, I think we can get the very most out of him straight off the bat by making sure we have our 3 up top and runs in behind, amongst many possible uses of him and tactical ploys involving him, he can be the player arriving in the box off the back of or across CB,s for our full backs crosses when our LFWDs or RFWDs run has made the opposition line drop or when they're parking the bus and he can also make diagonal runs to be released in behind opposition full backs when our LFWD or RFWD has made a run short taking them with them, we can't do either of those things with LFWD and RFWD deeper than him in a 4231

We can use our more advanced positions of LWFD and RFWD in a 433 to best utilise Nunez from the start, as he's comfortable in all areas of the pitch, we can also employ him at LFWD or RFWD in some games if we wish, sometimes old school mixing it up works, remember Rafa's long diagonals to Kuyt to find him in isolation or occasionally release him in behind and how he almost always won the header or got the ball down ahead of the full back? Well, that right there is another option for using him

Quote Originally Posted by southernboy View Post
    Let’s hope he’s as good as our last Uruguayan striker.
    Let's hope we remember to feed this one

This is very good, as one expects it to be from all our players, what I've always said about the nonsense 'trying to apply pressure' our beloved media try and do to players or teams, when you set your standards and expectations of your levels of performance and development high enough, individually and as a team, it renders their ramblings pretty futile, the greatest possible pressure should always come from within

"No, I don't feel any added pressure at all. I went to Benfica and they asked me the same question then. I don't think a player has to feel this type of pressure, a player has to feel his own pressure that he puts on himself. I don't feel pressured by anything or anybody, I think the only pressure on a player comes from within to ensure things go well"

I just dont see us having a proper 10 to play 4-2-3-1.

4-2-4 definitely.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Ok, average positions data doesn't paint a true picture of the game, when you look at it, you always try and say our most advanced midfielder is playing as a No10 in a 4231, Jurgen explains it and has explained it numerous times as a No6 and 2 No8's his system is devised on a No6 and 2 No8's sometimes 2 No8 controllers, sometimes a LCM or RCM controller, with a more advanced LCM or RCM No8 you have continually insisted the more attacking No8 is a No10, it isn't and never has been, in some games, the more advanced No8 is also a controller, positioned that way to press a certain player or area to help win possession there and create in conjunction with others from there.

You will and have continually insisted on labelling the player most advanced as a No10 in a 4231 when that isn't the case and Jurgen himself says 'the 2 No8's'

Also Hendo was often further forward than Gini, it's not the case that Gini mostly played higher when both played as No8's

Thiago has been deeper because he has been constantly trying to hog the ball and dictate the play which hasn't been a good thing as he has made us more predictable and reduced opportunities for players like Virgil, hendo and Trent to make the play and open teams up with their usually more creative direct passing when it's on, which in turn has led to a drop off in our ability to be devastatingly direct and on the counter with it - Everytime it goes to Fab, Thiago drops to get the ball and often off Alisson too, it doesn't work

Guardiola has almost always had 2 more attacking midfielders as his No8's, players he has used in his front 3 or as a free roaming genuine 10 in a lopsided 433, what he did in the last 2 seasons was have all 4 of those players develop aspects of their game to do what our more solid and better defensively and pressing No8's did also

You lose the runs in behind from our side at its best in 4231, Diaz and Salah are too far away from goal and aren't in the positions to in which they are most effective far too often, Diaz and Salah making their runs in behind making defenders drop, opening the space up for their full backs to make well timed runs into to be found in space, to cross for Nunez making runs across or off the back of the 2 Cbs from a little deeper than them will be a key element in getting the best from Nunez and breaking down PTB teams, but won't work in your 4231
    Lopsided: Our 433 can be lopsided, so can city, so can city's 4231 with their left or right wingers more advanced than the other. But you seem incapable of accepting Klopp could also use a lopsided 4231.
    Make no mistake Salah will be furthest forward on our right side, or second to Nunez at worst.
    Diaz is far more willing and experienced playing deeper on the left side. His best goals and assist stats, coming from a deeper position at Porto.

No, I've said the shape of Hendo most advanced which was common enough this last season was a weakness.
    Placing Hendo in a more advanced role than Thiago, who is a weaker defender and less safe.
    Our midfield 3 can be rather flat.
    A 1-2, a 2-1, a staggered/lopsided 1 1 1.

Same with our front 3, traditionally Salah furthest forward.
    Then Bobby with Mane deepest in a slanted 433, or Bobby deepest in a false 9 role and Mane second most advanced.
    In all instances players especially Mane was capable of making runs in behind and effect play.

Klopp used a narrow 3 operating as 3 tens in his Dortmund days. The fullbacks provided width in attack.
    The idea Klopp can't play Klopp football in the system that established his style of play seems a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    I just dont see us having a proper 10 to play 4-2-3-1.

4-2-4 definitely.
    Bobby's played 10 and CF/False9 here, prior to LFC he played 10 most often.

Diaz imo would suit the role as he has many of the attributes you'd want from a 10 in the modern game.
    This would also allow for Jota to play on the left where he's been rather effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I've also been pretty consistent that best 11 v best 11, our 18-20 team would bum the current side, we could compete more easily in domestic cups, mostly with easy draws, with the better strength in depth, we did that, but failed to land either big trophy because our best 11 isn't as potent as it was in 18-20
    We've competed on every level in every competition.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

I don't think we have such a rigid formation