Thread: Liverpool transfers in/out and rumours 22/23 + Contracts

Aaaha… it’s the old “like” a new signing routine again ..

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has assured Thiago Alcantara of his future at Anfield after holding talks with the midfielder as the Reds boss prepares for disappointment in their pursuit of Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia. The Merseyside outfit could miss out on their top two midfield targets as Chelsea line up a combined £170million deal, and their failure to sign both players could enable Thiago to prolong his career in the Premier League.

“He’s now training, he came in and asked about his role and we spoke," Klopp told reporters at Friday's press conference.
    “[He’s a] super experienced player, he stepped up in that department. He has only been in team training for a week but very vocal, he is going to be very helpful for us."

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    The 5-year thing refers to payments.

Let's say Chelsea bought a £100m player and signed him on a 10-year contract. That's fine.

What they CAN'T do (and this is only a recent change) is pay £10m per year for those 10 years - at best they can pay £20m per year for the first 5 years of the contract - it has to be paid in 5 years.

Think that's the right way of it and should anyone want to correct that, please do.
    So it's a 5 year contract, Why keep him for the next 5 years if the contract has been paid up ?

Or should I say ,why should he stay if the contract has been paid up !!

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Think he means, the transfer fee has to be paid up in 5 years.
    But the players contract can be for more than 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Bear with me here as I am not quite following what you are saying, which is likely "my bad" as I'm extremely fatigued.

A lot of players have their fees paid in installments. With Van Dijk for example we didn't give Southampton £75m in one go - we gave them £25m a year for 3 years. We often pay the fees of players off like this as it gives flexibility for the individual window within which the player was bought and helps us meet FFP (while it was the system) and now the new Financial Regulations system - not that either seem to be particularly enforced but that's a whole other thing.

Anyway - Van Dijk's contract was for longer than the period that we were paying the fee for. So he stays. Why that is is not something I have ever given deep thought to or know the ins-and-outs of - if he signs a 5-year contract, he stays for 5 years, unless someone makes a bid that we accept.

Both Mac Allister (£35m, to Brighton) and Szoboszlai (£60m, to RB Leipzig) were paid for up-front, rather than their fees being spread out in chunks. I know you aren't suggesting they could leave tomorrow, as they have signed contracts. But you have also said "why should he stay if the contract has been paid up" - by any chance are you talking about wages rather than transfer fee? As I am not getting it what you mean.

And I cannot emphasise this enough - this is probably something I am missing that is dead obvious (akin to often missing the interpretation of the punchlines of jokes) so bear with me.

I thought it was about profit and loss for FFP.
    If you have a player on a 3 year contract his value is written off over 3 years, so say £20m a year, if he had a 6 year contract it’s half as much per year over twice as long, thus losing less per year and better for FFP

I’ll raise your fatigue and add half a bottle of red Sid.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    Aaaha… it’s the old “like” a new signing routine again ..

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has assured Thiago Alcantara of his future at Anfield after holding talks with the midfielder as the Reds boss prepares for disappointment in their pursuit of Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia. The Merseyside outfit could miss out on their top two midfield targets as Chelsea line up a combined £170million deal, and their failure to sign both players could enable Thiago to prolong his career in the Premier League.

“He’s now training, he came in and asked about his role and we spoke," Klopp told reporters at Friday's press conference.
    “[He’s a] super experienced player, he stepped up in that department. He has only been in team training for a week but very vocal, he is going to be very helpful for us."
    Tbf he’s a better player than both of them. Just can’t stay fit.

Would love to see him play 20 consecutive games, however….

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Think he means, the transfer fee has to be paid up in 5 years.
    But the players contract can be for more than 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I thought it was about profit and loss for FFP.
    If you have a player on a 3 year contract his value is written off over 3 years, so say £20m a year, if he had a 6 year contract it’s half as much per year over twice as long, thus losing less per year and better for FFP

I’ll raise your fatigue and add half a bottle of red Sid.
    It's about amortisation, where the transfer fee for a player can be spread over the length of the contract.

Previously, if Chelsea signed a fella for say 70 mill and he's on a 7 year contract.
    Then his amortised cost would be his years wages + (70/7)10 million.

Whereas now, that same situation would see the players wages for the year + (70/5) 14 million.

Iirc..
    Say we signed a 50 mill player over 5 years, and after 3 years they extended their contract to a new 5 year deal.
    We'd have paid off by the accounting practice- 30 mill of their 50 mill fee after the first 3 years.
    Then when they extend from 2 years left to 5 years left. You can spread the 20 million left to pay over the 5 years of the contract again.
    So extending after 3 years, to get a player with 5 years left on his deal, would cost the players wages + (20/5) 4 mill a year for those (new) last 5 years of contracts.

Henry is flying to London tonight. Something is up, going to a Stamford Bridge opener isn’t something he would normally do. Weird