Page 54 of 111 FirstFirst ... 44447484950515253545556575859606164104 ... LastLast

Thread: Darwin Nunez

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    You can't train it. I said weeks ago, he'll be exactly like Heskey. He'll be unstoppable for a game or two then look like non league for stretches.

The good thing though, is he keeps going.
    To be fair, you can absolutely train to improve certain things - quality/type of finish and also composure in front of goal. I think what you're hinting at is that he may never be "ice cold" in front of goal on a hyper-consistent level (do correct me if I'm wrong!) but with his chance creation and shot volume it shouldn't matter most of the time, particularly if he works on a couple of things.

Elite strikers have a few "muscle memory" finishes and I think Darwin would be helped by developing a couple. With Torres for example he did 3 things exceptionally well in front of goal -

- Square up a defender to then feint and drop the shoulder and burn past to facilitate a striking opportunity
    - Had a good instep strike with slight curl for the far post (Thierry Henry was unreal at this)
    - Excellent ability to wait for a keeper to descend in height towards his feet prior to a strike so that he could then lift the ball over the keeper

Núñez doesn't necessarily have to develop all of those, but he could definitely do with developing a couple of memorised strikes for different scenarios that become bread and butter for him to further his game - which is still very, very good by the way.

He just needs to stop booting the ball like his life depends on it. take the huge miss the other day.. It hit the post. thankfully Gravenberch was there to hit in the rebound. all he had to do was just place the ball with less pace..the trajectory of the ball wouldn't have been so wide then and would have easily gone in.
    Jota today was just as bad. why he went near post with that shot is beyond me. when across the keeper would have done the trick.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

The big man has come in for some stick since the game yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't knock his confidence as he's had a great start to the season.

He has been superb from the bench in particular. We need him to be a starter though. Great coming off the bench to brilliant effect - Shaqiri and at times Oxlade were a big part of our success a few years back when we couldn’t pick a lock, But Darwin has all too often struggled when he is in the first 11.

Not the best sign at his price.

We need him but I don’t see it. If he had just 20% of Daniel Sturridge’s technique he would be absolutely fooking lethal.. Unplayable, Deapite the superb goal to minutes ratio- as yet I haven’t seen more than 2%. It’s hit and hope all too often.

Hope that changes.

This is the level Darwin needs to aim for. In a Klopp team - this standard (if fit) inside left of Salah would see us challenging this season for certain. Hope Darwin can emulate.

some sublime goals

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    The big man has come in for some stick since the game yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't knock his confidence as he's had a great start to the season.
    It shouldn't. He regularly has misses and then shows himself for the next one - never hides.

Probably one of his very best qualities.

Only on the bench tonight, I'd of started him as he needs to put a couple of wrongs right and tonight could've been a great chance to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    To be fair, you can absolutely train to improve certain things - quality/type of finish and also composure in front of goal. I think what you're hinting at is that he may never be "ice cold" in front of goal on a hyper-consistent level (do correct me if I'm wrong!) but with his chance creation and shot volume it shouldn't matter most of the time, particularly if he works on a couple of things.

Elite strikers have a few "muscle memory" finishes and I think Darwin would be helped by developing a couple. With Torres for example he did 3 things exceptionally well in front of goal -

- Square up a defender to then feint and drop the shoulder and burn past to facilitate a striking opportunity
    - Had a good instep strike with slight curl for the far post (Thierry Henry was unreal at this)
    - Excellent ability to wait for a keeper to descend in height towards his feet prior to a strike so that he could then lift the ball over the keeper

Núñez doesn't necessarily have to develop all of those, but he could definitely do with developing a couple of memorised strikes for different scenarios that become bread and butter for him to further his game - which is still very, very good by the way.
    He's nae goin' tae develop they at his age. If he doesn't hae they skills noo, he'll ne'er hae thaim.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    He's nae goin' tae develop they at his age. If he doesn't hae they skills noo, he'll ne'er hae thaim.
    One day you may hit puberty. until then carry on acting like an immature moron
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

The lad has hit 9 assists now already in all comps - and all for Salah.

If he can develop even further we are laughing.