Page 94 of 111 FirstFirst ... 448487888990919293949596979899100101104 ... LastLast

Thread: Darwin Nunez

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I don't know - Playing for United? for Ten Hag.. probably not - most likely he wouldn't get a game due to a lack of necessity. He has been very good for us in games. He was a handicap yesterday however - not his fault - just another player not fully fit.

I can ask questions too though..

Do you think that Endo would play for Real Madrid? Do you ask yourself why he never did? You keep asking questions - but it's the easiest thing in the world. Do you think we win number 6 and number 19 with Ten Hag instead of Jurgen? It's easy to do. It means nothing really.

What I am saying and have repeatedly said is that even at our best under Jurgen we were never the best side in Europe. These are words echoed by the big man himself. YOU don't have to have the best players to beat the best or to win the top prizes. It sure as shit helps but there are other ways to win besides a team of world class individuals. This is where management - the kind Jurgen brings from top of the club to bottom of the club matters.

No need to get offended by that - or assume I am saying all our players are shyte.
    Nah I think that 11 of 2018-2020 were 1 of the best if not the best in Europe. But for a mistake from Karius, Adrian against Atleti we could gave gone back to back. Some of our players at the time were the best in their position. Even City couldn't live with us we were too hot to handle when we played them.

I agree overall with you. I actually got excited by this squad but when I started being level headed, the squad of Ox Origi, Shaqiri, Llalana had better footballing quality then this current group. I'd take a fit Ox performance of 2018/2019 in midfield than Szoboslai. I actually think this squad is very raw with limited players. We are not as good as we think even if we win the league. What this group has is tremendous belief to go and win a game from a losing position. But overall this title challenge I think is all on sheer Managerial/coaching/motivation from Klopp and his staff.

It's all opinions and he was talking to the media - so make of it what you will but - Klopp stated that we were never the best in Europe - he went further he followed it up with his belief that we were never the best even in our own league.

Player for player - I think he was right

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-champions-league-16929257

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    It's all opinions but Klopp stated that we were never the best in Europe - he went further he followed it up with his belief that we were never the best even in our own league.

Player for player - I think he was right

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-jurgen-klopp-champions-league-16929257
    As I said I am not quashing your view. I feel Klopp has punched above but on their day Allison, Trent, Robbo, Van Dijk, Fabinho, Mane, Salah people were saying they were the best in their position. Now there are maybe 2/3 that over their career and ability wise I rate higher.

But fair play as you said opinion. And I don't disagree with Klopp either because my view is he knows more about football than I. So much respect to you my brother.

Yes for me

Virgil - Mane - Salah - Bobby - Alisson

And Fabinho was huge - I know some don't want to accept it - but for at least 2 years he was probably the best DM on the planet. Again this is my opinion.

Some spine..with incredible shoulder blades..

Fabinho wasn’t even a midfielder we’re someone in the know to get me access to the VA room I could put together countless examples of him leaving his man to blindly charge to the ball & that man he left being released to thrn play in another

Endo or Mac I have seen Endo make a far less limited number of blind charges to thr ball not leaving a man but a space for the other part when a player has got beyond Mac or Endo on the off occasion both have bust a gut to get back at him not seen casually jogging into the picture 10 yards outside our area as the player they let go scores or assists

Top DMs have numerous clearly identifiable traits of how they play the game how they operate in common & Fab didn’t possess a single one of those traits

A few shouts that Núñez is shite / has regressed. Understandable shouts at that.

For me, it's a double-edged sword.

Yes, it's true that it is entirely fair to say that he cannot be relied upon to be our main source of goals at the moment. This may change as he progresses over the next couple of seasons, or alternatively this may simply be his level. Whichever it is, right now the fact we can't rely on his finishing in these big matches in terms of consistency.

And yet.

He isn't half important for us. Others may see this differently and accuse me of Núñez-tinted glasses, but even when his finishing is pants (one of those nights this evening) he is battling, making runs and most importantly, keeping a pacey dynamic to our play.

I think we look really one-paced and predictable when he isn't on (when he is subbed off it stands out) and the opposition will feel more comfortable at the back, often showing willingness to push the back line up which can help them to press or keep a compact mid-block.

I wouldn't be hauling him off in matches despite the poor finishing, due mainly to the lack of raw pace we have in other players and the consequent effects on opposition team shape and by extension our own possibilities.

Hopefully a few matches in the remainder of the season where he, Jota and Salah can be on the pitch simultaneously as that is arguably our best hope in terms of the blend.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    A few shouts that Núñez is shite / has regressed. Understandable shouts at that.

Yes, it's true that it is entirely fair to say that he cannot be relied upon to be our main source of goals at the moment. This may change as he progresses over the next couple of seasons, or alternatively this may simply be his level. Whichever it is, right now the fact we can't rely on his finishing in these big matches in terms of consistency.

And yet.

He isn't half important for us. Others may see this differently and accuse me of Núñez-tinted glasses, but even when his finishing is pants (one of those nights this evening) he is battling, making runs and most importantly, keeping a pacey dynamic to our play.

I think we look really one-paced and predictable when he isn't on (when he is subbed off it stands out) and the opposition will feel more comfortable at the back, often showing willingness to push the back line up which can help them to press or keep a compact mid-block.

I wouldn't be hauling him off in matches despite the poor finishing, due mainly to the lack of raw pace we have in other players and the consequent effects on opposition team shape and by extension our own possibilities.

Hopefully a few matches in the remainder of the season where he, Jota and Salah can be on the pitch simultaneously as that is arguably our best hope in terms of the blend.
    there's no dressing it up, he's f*cking wank. say it like it is, he's a dud, plain and simple

That effort last night in the first half was shocking for a number 9. And it's not the first time we've seen him with poor efforts.
    He's not a 9 for me, put him out on the wing and play Jota up the middle if he's to play.
    He's just not consistently good enough for a team pushing for top titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

And yet.

We need a goalscorer (Diaz/Nunez you can never fault their work rate) But goals win matches. We are already a team of hard workers, we also need quality in amongst that endeavour. Nunez wasn't the player we needed. He is a quicker Dirk Kuyt, a player who was signed as a striker but isn't going to score as much as a number 9 so you eventually phase him out wide.

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    there's no dressing it up, he's f*cking wank. say it like it is, he's a dud, plain and simple
    If he was a dud then our all-round play would look way better when he wasn't on the pitch and it doesn't.

By all means have a go at the inconsistency of his finishing. That was a horrible, horrible effort in the first half last night for example.