Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to be banned

Heading to be banned

Just read on the BBC sport website that the FA is going to "trial" no heading for under 12s football.
    I could understand if the game was still using the heavy leather footballs that were in use in the 50s and 60s, but FFS I can't see the point with the light balls currently in use.
    The authorities are going to ruin the game if they continue down this road.
    Are the wokes going to ban contact in football and rugby?
    Will try to post a link if I access my PC later.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Serious question: you got kids?
    Those who tell the truth must die. Those who tell the truth will live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangetimes View Post
    Serious question: you got kids?
    Yes, 28 year old boy.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Ultimately it will be banned on h&s issues. Love a good header but the scientific and medical evidence is growing. Not good for you!

I read an article that said statistically footballers are 3 times as likely as the general population to get dementia. Not sure how far back it goes - different decades, changes in balls etc - but something does seem to be going on

Although the link with football and motor neurone disease seems to be linked to pesticide chemicals on the pitch rather than anything to do with playing the actual sport itself.

Rugby's link with dementia seems to be more recent and more related to training methods than actual playing.

I'd love medical science to explain why heading gives you dementia and boxing gives you Parkinson's but hey.

(Interestingly Parkinson's has a something like 90% correlation with unresolved leg injuries)

3 times as likely doesn't seem that much.

I'd love to hear some of the other variables. Decibel level of a crowd cheering as a goal is scored, rushes of adrenaline from exposure to personal chanting from thousands - and what effects THOSE might have on cognition - whether there is an element of "burnout" due to increased sensory exposure and so on.

That's not to say that I think the link with heading is nonsense or anything - I'm just naturally curious about variables.

Personally I think the authorities, FA, UEFA, FIFA, have between them made the game so safe I can't believe there can be any injuries or long-term conditions caused by playing football. The game has become almost a non-contact sport for a start.

They should be introducing and focusing on more heading of the ball starting with the U5's

Nothing wrong with heading a football, there are loads and loads and loads of things people do that have the same or similar effect to heading a football, fairground and theme park ride rides, headbanging to tunes, diving into water etc etc etc
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

If heading the ball is stopped. Then i don't know how boxing gets a free pass. It should be banned full stop
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    They should be introducing and focusing on more heading of the ball starting with the U5's

Nothing wrong with heading a football, there are loads and loads and loads of things people do that have the same or similar effect to heading a football, fairground and theme park ride rides, headbanging to tunes, diving into water etc etc etc
    The difference is that it is in the workplace