Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heading to be banned

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    3 times as likely doesn't seem that much.

I'd love to hear some of the other variables. Decibel level of a crowd cheering as a goal is scored, rushes of adrenaline from exposure to personal chanting from thousands - and what effects THOSE might have on cognition - whether there is an element of "burnout" due to increased sensory exposure and so on.

That's not to say that I think the link with heading is nonsense or anything - I'm just naturally curious about variables.
    I'd say 3 times as likely is significant enough to warrant investigation but I agree we should look at all the variables, which is why I mentioned others for example the danger of the chemicals they spray on the pitch. I'm not sure playing while injected with painkillers is good for one's long term health either...

It is lazy to assume that heading the ball causes dementia, just as it is lazy to assume that boxing causes Parkinson's (and conveniently ignore those that don't get it). Everyone will cite Muhammad Ali but they don't come up with any other names. Ali was the greatest so what about all the opponents he gave beatings to? Far more interesting that unresolved leg injuries may be involved. Did Ali have one? He lost his famous shuffle after being repeatedly kicked in the leg by the Japanese wrestler Antonio Inoki and nearly had it amputated.

So yeah, plenty of variables, heading may be one but there must be others in combination, including those less measurable ones you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    They should be introducing and focusing on more heading of the ball starting with the U5's

Nothing wrong with heading a football, there are loads and loads and loads of things people do that have the same or similar effect to heading a football, fairground and theme park ride rides, headbanging to tunes, diving into water etc etc etc
    Its not the worst idea for u12s not to concentrate on heading or banning it. Id disagree on it not having an impact though as the modern footballs are indeed very light.....but only when dry once they take on water they tend to retain it way more than the old footballs. Having the heading removed makes them have to focus on passing so thats a great positive. Plenty of time from 12 up to learn how to head the ball.

I would understand if it was still the 70s and heading a ball was like thumping your head against a brick wall...

The balls are so light today.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    The difference is that it is in the workplace
    There's no running permitted in a workplace under health and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    If heading the ball is stopped. Then i don't know how boxing gets a free pass. It should be banned full stop
    Yep and all forms of martial arts and motor racing, deep sea diving because of the pressure it puts on the head etc etc etc I do wish woke bastards would just fuck the fucking fuck off and when they get there, fuck off a little bit further
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Yep and all forms of martial arts and motor racing, deep sea diving because of the pressure it puts on the head etc etc etc I do wish woke bastards would just fuck the fucking fuck off and when they get there, fuck off a little bit further
    Private pursuits are different.
    No health insurance or massively expensive and with caveats.
    In the workplace if a health risk is involved then the onus on the employer is to remove or reduce the risk. Agreed? Yes/No?
    People are making a case for this.
    Evidence appears to be growing. Employers could face a huge bill - even retrospectively.
    Perhaps if Liv Truss gets in and rips up all human rights then it won't matter in UK.
    Your friend Liz?

You're not a woke person, then?
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

What exactly is a woke person? I would like to hear from people on this forum rather than a Wikipedia definition!

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    What exactly is a woke person? I would like to hear from people on this forum rather than a Wikipedia definition!
    I think it's basically a new word for 'politically correct'?

used to mean "aware" of what is really going on but got twisted