Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Midfield Conundrum

Very unlike Marca to claim Real are not favourites to sign a player.

“Real Madrid believe Liverpool have ‘complicated’ their attempt to sign Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham, according to reports in Spain.

The England international is expected to be one of the most in-demand players next summer with several clubs across Europe interested in his signature.
    Along with Madrid and Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea are also in contention to sign Bellingham at the end of the season.
    According to Marca, Madrid had made the 19-year-old their priority target for the summer window, however, the Spanish champions are now concerned by Liverpool’s approach.

The report claims that Madrid have already spoken to Bellingham’s representatives in the summer but were not given any assurances about the midfielder’s next move.
    However, Madrid have been made aware of a ‘closeness’ between Liverpool and Bellingham’s camp which has intensified over the past month.

ESPN are also reporting that many insiders have placed Liverpool as favourites to sign Bellingham at the end of the season due to their positive relationship with the player’s entourage.

Earlier this week, reports in Germany claimed that Dortmund are holding out for a €150 million (£128.9m) fee for Bellingham.”

Quote Originally Posted by darrenpotter View Post
    Both would be a serious statement
    What do we think Rice would go for?

A good £100m minimum.

How long left on his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    A good £100m minimum.

How long left on his contract?
    Contracted to 24/25 I think.

If we assume we did have the funds and were willing to spend, I'm not sure I'd want to attempt to pursue both. In any attempt to replace Milner/Ox/Keita's squad places (talking "spots" here more than quality) I'd rather buy one, acquire a free agent if possible for a second and promote from within for a third.

Use the "spare" money for filling a forward spot (assuming Firmino goes) or aiming to find a future long-term partner for Konate.

So many ways to address the developing squad situation - it will be interesting to see how we ultimately address it. Timing will be key - it would be absolutely wonderful to rejuvenate the squad without dropping outside of the Champion's League spots for a season or two.

Filling two genuine first choice midfield starters is an absolute matter of urgency. We have Núñez and Jota to play CF, what we need is a wide forward as next priority as we only have two at the club, Diaz and Salah.

RB and and partner for Konaté come after that.

Very unlike Marca to claim Real are not favourites to sign a player.

“Real Madrid believe Liverpool have ‘complicated’ their attempt to sign Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham, according to reports in Spain.

The England international is expected to be one of the most in-demand players next summer with several clubs across Europe interested in his signature.
    Along with Madrid and Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea are also in contention to sign Bellingham at the end of the season.
    According to Marca, Madrid had made the 19-year-old their priority target for the summer window, however, the Spanish champions are now concerned by Liverpool’s approach.

The report claims that Madrid have already spoken to Bellingham’s representatives in the summer but were not given any assurances about the midfielder’s next move.
    However, Madrid have been made aware of a ‘closeness’ between Liverpool and Bellingham’s camp which has intensified over the past month.

ESPN are also reporting that many insiders have placed Liverpool as favourites to sign Bellingham at the end of the season due to their positive relationship with the player’s entourage.

Earlier this week, reports in Germany claimed that Dortmund are holding out for a €150 million (£128.9m) fee for Bellingham.”
    As a player he seems like a great addition. 150 million euros seems pie in the sky. Think he'll need to push for a move if he wants to end up here.
    They sold Sancho and Halaand for 145 million euro, granted Halaands agent negotiated a buy out clause.

Filling two genuine first choice midfield starters is an absolute matter of urgency. We have Núñez and Jota to play CF, what we need is a wide forward as next priority as we only have two at the club, Diaz and Salah.

RB and and partner for Konaté come after that.
    I wasn't clear enough when I said "forward" my bad - I didn't necessarily mean "centre-forward" - just an attacking player and I'd agree that a wide forward would be best. If Firmino departs and we don't bring someone in then we would have -

Salah
    Jota
    Diaz
    Núñez

supplemented by Carvalho/Elliott depending on how you assess their squad roles. We'd need one more to add to that core group of 4, for me.

Appreciate the sentiment on urgent mids - not suggesting we don't get them (two) in - just speculating as to the distribution of any budget we might have.

Example - let's be generous and say "Liverpool will have £250m to spend for January+Summer" - I wouldn't want to blow £200m of that on the two mids. I'd rather buy one big-money mid and still have money for a free transfer (another mid) and address forward or centre-back. You still get two mids in, just not blowing the budget on both. Then you hopefully have funds again the following January/Summer to facilitate a 3rd midfield purchase if a promoted mid (Morton? Bajcetic?) hasn't really been working out - and if they're thriving the funds can go on a different position as needed.

Very subjective stance I know.

@CCTV
    Yep and then negotiated the rest of the fee to be paid to him and Haaland’s father.

Fairy snuff Sid, fairy snuff

Would love the guy to come here, he looks like a generational English midfield talent, but that isn’t the same as genuine world class, certainly he isn’t that just yet.. and he will cost far more than other WC mids of a similar age would…significantly more. That’s the issue for me.

If we were a petrodollar state owned club - he would make absolute sense. In the real world However EVEN in the one I want where FSG are prepared to take that risk more often, I think an outlay of 120/130 million for one midfielder is nuts.