Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast

Thread: The Midfield Conundrum

Ok gloves are off, I was trying to be positive… it’s not a conundrum it’s a complete rebuild.

One third are past their best, one third aren’t good enough and one third are injury prone wage stealers.

Who, from our midfield, are good enough/fit enough/not injury prone, to be first choice?

Henderson (32?)
    Fabinho (29?)
    Thiago ( 31? injured)
    James Milner (36?)
    Keita (bye bye imho)
    Elliott
    Jones (injured?)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain (injury prone)

we have (had at the start of the United match) four fit midfielders.

Ok well there’s… er… well I’d choose to keep and start ..er..

I’ll get back to you.

I will say, Henderson and Thiago have in the past been very much good enough, just neither good or fit enough consistently anymore

Maybe Fabinho, with two very good midfielders either side of him. None of the above unfortunately

Should be 2 of Fab, Hendo and Thiago starting when all are fit. Double pivot roles.
    Milner, then Jones covering. That's 5 on paper for 2 berths.

Then you've a front 4 of sorts to pick with the rest of the more attacking options.

The question was who is good enough and fit enough.

So Jones fails both of those tests straight away. Thiago is not robust enough for the Prem and Hendo is past it.

and the system doesn't help the players who are in the 11. we bomb forward all the time, theres no reason we can't sit and keep possession and don't allow spaces in between the midfield and back line. Just play on the counter. I know that's not always easy because the opposition drop off as well. forces you to go forward. But just being patient can help now and then.
    You can't play an open midfield with Milner and Elliot. Elliot always plays off the right ..so hes not really in a 3 in midfield. That position is taken up by Firmino who drops deep.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

We don't have a title winning midfield

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    The question was who is good enough and fit enough.

So Jones fails both of those tests straight away. Thiago is not robust enough for the Prem and Hendo is past it.
    Think it's a little harsh. But fair enough. I'd accept Jones's exclusion. Thiago does miss games, Hendo misses a few.

Still think it's best only starting 2 on the regular, opinions on depth whats good enough to be first team aside.

We need a new addition, it's paramount for this season. That midfield is not good enough either in depth or quality.
    I think one will be brought in if Keita is shifted. I'm not buying the "he's ill" line.

But Keita is another one, neither fit enough or good enough