Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Your 2022-2023 season's expectations and aspirations

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Yep it'll be exactly that or something similar I'd think.
    Problem is you just can't see where the next win is coming from.
    There are no goals… totally dried up. No CF - no false 9 - no left wing.

Salah is marked out entirely and he is suffering dreadful form too.

If there is any area where we are suffering most right now - it is the goals.

We would be losing and drawing in our best seasons with this strike rate.

Obviously, with Jota and Nunez and Diaz fit and well, we are a totally different animal in that regard. Elsewhere on the pitch, it’s hard to see any light at all..

It’s been said many times. It takes years to build a winning formula, but it only takes a few months to destroy it all.

I believe there were signs of the coming destruction in summer 2019. We then coasted home on sheer will, guts, mentality and a sense of injustice.. until Feb 2020 all but winning the title. COViD lockdown actually allowing us to regroup… Then we started to crash the following season.. the 7:2 a sign of things to come… . Last season was a combination of a drop in form from City - and the overlap in front men (Mané - Diaz - Bobby - Jota - Salah - Minamino - Origi) and some incredible will and mentality to fight on 4 fronts. But the team had 6 months of graft in them. The cost has manifest in every single one… add to that, the loss of Mané and injuries to key front men. And but for VAR - this season at mid way - we are in the bottom 6..

That’s how tough the top flight league is. That’s why you have to keep going every summer. You cannot stop. You cannot pay bills and relinquish that continued development and evolution.

You do that and within 18 months it bites you.
    Last edited by Steveo; 3rd February 2023 at 11:43 AM.

Bump - I really do hate to say I told you so, patterns my friends, patterns of play and automation and the break down of it

You all ridiculed and laughed at me for daring to suggest it, but I have persistently warned and vehemently complained about Jurgen 'throwing the baby out with the bath water' and altering things that caused down a breakdown of our automation and significant reduction in our effectiveness in other areas and that were it to continue we would eventually become a rudderless clueless rabble bereft of all automation and understanding or appreciation of one another and what to expect from our team mates at all

You laughed and laughed and took the piss and yet, here we are

Discuss
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    There are no goals… totally dried up. No CF - no false 9 - no left wing.
    Loss of runs in behind, no runs for Hendo, Virgil, Matip, Konate or crucially Trent to hit, too many players coming to feet coming short

Salah is marked out entirely and he is suffering dreadful form too.
    Even Danny Murphu and MOTD covered this, Elliott's continually inclusion has changed Mo's and Trent's positioning that supported by Hendo was the fulcrum of why we managed to play every available game last season after Elliott was injured

Almost complete loss of runs in behind from LFWD supported by runs from Robbo and astute positioning for LCM (used to be Gini who was brilliant at it) to win any second balls has left Trent with precious little to aim for with his wand of a right foot and taken switches which we needed more of and were a huge feature of our play in our Champions League and Premier League winning season almost entirely out of our game

If there is any area where we are suffering most right now - it is the goals.
    If you dispose of the methods and automation we used to create the majority of our goals whether directly or to create the space to release a player into to create, then you lose your ability to score goals

Football remains a very simple game

So you think our front line is at or close to what it was in 2018 - 2019 - 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    So you think our front line is at or close to what it was in 2018 - 2019 - 2020?
    Jurgen has ceased playing to our players strengths and pursued a tappy crappy fantasy at the expense of what works

Simple as, he is not having the team play in a way that plays to the strengths of the players we have

Could Nunez terrorise defences uased as Mane always was on the left, supported by RObbo and Thiago with Trent and Hendo able to connect his runs? Very possibly, but we'll never know if Jurgen doesn't use him that way

We do all know Mo is a shadow of the player he was last season used differently and no longer doing the things he was doing last season or supported to do so by Trent and Hendo as he was last season, Jurgen changed that, not Mo, not Hendo, and not Trent

No expectations
    Well hopefully 40 points.
    CL non humiliation.

And x2 or x3 new midfielders in the summer. Plus new centre back.

And no not just Tyler morton, van-den berg.

Out
    Oxlade
    Keita
    Milner
    Phillips
    Gomez
    Matip
    Thiago
    Adrian

In
    X3 midfielders
    X2 CB

Promotion for Tyler Morton , Conor Bradley, Bobby Clark , Ben Doak.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Jurgen has ceased playing to our players strengths and pursued a tappy crappy fantasy at the expense of what works

Simple as, he is not having the team play in a way that plays to the strengths of the players we have

Could Nunez terrorise defences uased as Mane always was on the left, supported by RObbo and Thiago with Trent and Hendo able to connect his runs? Very possibly, but we'll never know if Jurgen doesn't use him that way

We do all know Mo is a shadow of the player he was last season used differently and no longer doing the things he was doing last season or supported to do so by Trent and Hendo as he was last season, Jurgen changed that, not Mo, not Hendo, and not Trent
    I don't see this at all. Where is the tappy crappy? We don't play quality football through the middle and never have under Jurgen. We never had the players. We have tried to play the same way but have simply seen players age and run out of steam and opponents decrypt our methodology.

Klopp has barely changed anything. Look at last season, signs were there we were slowing down at the back end JUST as they did in the title season.

This is a problem of recruitment. A lack of desire to go for the Virgil - Alisson - Fabinho level - players capable of walking into our fist team or at least rival someone who is. Instead we bought 1 almost 30 year old - then had half a season outta him and let Gini go! Did we ad more after that NO...

Since then we have brought in NOBODY senior at all. Hendo and Fabinho have been used and abused! they are smashed. they can't run anymore. and I don't blame them.

19.. no team can just keep playing the same way either. That simply does not ever work. How do you remain the same without all the same players and those players NEVER age? impossible. Players get injured. They get old. They lose form.

They are human beings .. Club HAS to keep going when at the top. We didn't... this is the result. Amazing to me it has taken so long in all honesty. I think Klopp has managed so well without proper investment
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th February 2023 at 06:57 PM.

4 year cycles normally
    Klopp got nearly 6 years out of this lot.

Let's start by 2x new midfielders and a new centre back.
    That will make a huge difference

If we don't win the CL to finish outside of European football. 1 game a week will be the best scenario.so we can finish 8th or lower I'm okay with that.

We are not far behind, we are having a soul searching season, players are broken mentally, they almost touched immortality last season.

I feel we need an upgrade LB, Robertson hard worker but is shite cutting back, low crosses. Trent needs to be moved to midfield. So we need a RB.

Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho keep but sign 2 new starting midfielders. I keep those 3 but must be phased out. Within next 2 seasons. Since Klopp feels Elliot is a CM. Bajetic the future It means that will be the 7. Jones for the English quota or cash in.

Attack I will sell Salah, Firmino must go. The 4 attackers are enough. Jota, Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo. Elliot, Carvalho can supplement that

A 35m CB that can play either RB or LB, Akanji, Ake type of CB. Versatile. Sell Gomez. Release Matip. Sign a Marip/Klavan type free low cost, bring academy CB up.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    If we don't win the CL to finish outside of European football. 1 game a week will be the best scenario.so we can finish 8th or lower I'm okay with that.

We are not far behind, we are having a soul searching season, players are broken mentally, they almost touched immortality last season.

I feel we need an upgrade LB, Robertson hard worker but is shite cutting back, low crosses. Trent needs to be moved to midfield. So we need a RB.

Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho keep but sign 2 new starting midfielders. I keep those 3 but must be phased out. Within next 2 seasons. Since Klopp feels Elliot is a CM. Bajetic the future It means that will be the 7. Jones for the English quota or cash in.

Attack I will sell Salah, Firmino must go. The 4 attackers are enough. Jota, Diaz, Nunez and Gakpo. Elliot, Carvalho can supplement that

A 35m CB that can play either RB or LB, Akanji, Ake type of CB. Versatile. Sell Gomez. Release Matip. Sign a Marip/Klavan type free low cost, bring academy CB up.
    Go along with most of that.