Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend games

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Tongue-in-cheek as I said. I'm sure you know what I mean - if sides genuinely try their best against us and genuinely "lie down" then a midfielder won't make a difference.

On a more serious note - I and seemingly 95% or more of LFC fans would love a quality mid to come in.
    Nice one Sid.. I get the point.

Beyond the LFC forum persecution complex - one facet being the perception that teams try harder v us than City…(cam aaaan ) ..well... Isn’t that belief itself rooted in the fact that City find it easier to beat these teams than we do?

If we can agree on that - could it possibly be that they have better players? Or at least that other teams believe this to be so - and don’t fancy their chances against them as much against us?

What else are people basing this crazed assumption on? A dislike for red? A love of sky blue? I penchant for gulf sheiks?

I could be wildly wrong but I think it’s pretty clear. We have to play at 110% to stay close to City. It’s exhausting and hugely fatiguing to our squad City play at about 80/90% to claim a title. They got done by Real in the CL with a smash and grab - as did Chelsea and PSG - but all 3 sides deserved more against them over 2 legs than we did in our single game. Real certainly didn’t try harder against City than us - they just knocked them out and beat us in the final.

We are a very hard working team - probably our biggest weapon.

Last season was the first in eons where we weren’t out of all domestic cups before or soon after Christmas. It takes its toll. Let’s hope this season isn’t the proof of that.

Our cause doesn't help that City have a fantastic squad, manager and a shit load of money. But we take every game as it comes and it's all about the 3 points.

Tongue-in-cheek as I said. I'm sure you know what I mean - if sides genuinely try their best against us and genuinely "lie down" then a midfielder won't make a difference.

On a more serious note - I and seemingly 95% or more of LFC fans would love a quality mid to come in.
    Yes, I'm aware you are desperate to reframe the lack of additions in midfield as a stunning success.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Yes, I'm aware you are desperate to reframe the lack of additions in midfield as a stunning success.
    Considering that I would love a midfielder to come in, you couldn't be more wrong - but sure, peddle that narrative if it makes you feel good.

I regularly present reasons we may not have added a midfielder - if you are conflating this with the business I would ideally love the club to do then that sounds like a you problem, not a me problem.

Considering that I would love a midfielder to come in, you couldn't be more wrong - but sure, peddle that narrative if it makes you feel good.

I regularly present reasons we may not have added a midfielder - if you are conflating this with the business I would ideally love the club to do then that sounds like a you problem, not a me problem.
    "but the fact that we generally don't freeze players out is probably one of the factors that makes lads want to come to us in the first place"

The above is part of your we have 9 midfielders already script. That's been on the go all summer.

Neville is a complete joker lets be honest.

He is sulking because his team arent cleaning up like the old days still he is half City supporter now so its not that bad for him.

We need a billion for stadium and £500-600m for training ground....not asking for much are you Nev ?! 😂

Basically wants someone to slap 2 billion down, the bloke is a disgusting piece of s**t, ppl struggling to pay bills and put food on the table and he demands that money for a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Nice one Sid.. I get the point.

Beyond the LFC forum persecution complex - one facet being the perception that teams try harder v us than City…(cam aaaan ) ..well... Isn’t that belief itself rooted in the fact that City find it easier to beat these teams than we do?

If we can agree on that - could it possibly be that they have better players? Or at least that other teams believe this to be so - and don’t fancy their chances against them as much against us?

What else are people basing this crazed assumption on? A dislike for red? A love of sky blue? I penchant for gulf sheiks?
    I think they have different players. The idea of "better" is subjective but I do think they have imprinted a particular style of play/philosophy over a number of years and have, via their finances, plus have been able to find more ready-made round pegs for round holes than we have. The number of full-backs that Pep has acquired for example is evidence to the pursuit of that dominance and whilst I always want to improve, I wouldn't want to do it "their" way ie aiming to out-spend everyone - I'd personally see little reward in it.

They do excel over us in a few areas - the relentlessly long spells of possession, propensity for an early goal, robotic memorisation of movement patterns to ensure that cut-back goals and back-post tap-ins are always on and seemingly having lads with an exquisite first touch in every area of the pitch to help their monopoly on possession.

I do genuinely believe that although the individual players of opposing sides might not put more effort in against us than Man City, the fans of rival clubs sure do hate us more than most. Perhaps there is something to the idea that the extra fire/animosity/decibels created in crowds that find excuses to sing "feed the Scousers" or "always the victims" or "he slipped in his f**king arse" to pad out their singing may transfer as a "big atmosphere" onto the lads on the pitch and give the players an extra 1% that stacks up over a season. I could be well off the mark on that of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    "but the fact that we generally don't freeze players out is probably one of the factors that makes lads want to come to us in the first place"

The above is part of your we have 9 midfielders already script. That's been on the go all summer.
    That's an observation about Klopp not kicking lads out of the club, touching on the fact that we have a good dressing room atmosphere that makes us appealing to join for a player. That's simply true - that does not however mean I am "desperate to reframe the lack of additions in midfield as a stunning success" - I'd love someone to come in and bolster us, but for varying reasons the club seemingly aren't willing to do so.

I'd also say we have 8 mids really, not 9 -

Henderson
    Thiago
    Fabinho
    Milner
    Keita
    Elliott
    Jones
    Ox

We could in theory use Bajcetic or Morton as a ninth mid and we may indeed see Carvalho's long-term position as a no. 8 rather than a forward, but I wouldn't consider these eminently desirable options for the "right now" versus, let's say, the injury-prone Ox departing and someone like Bellingham coming in.

If that happened this Summer (hypothetical I know that would make Jones our 8th-choice midfielder and although he isn't as far along with his progression as I'd personally ideally like, having him as 8th-choice would be a good sign.

"You're only as strong as your weakest link" they say - but I don't want to see us buy squad players unless they're really cheap - seems a waste of resources. I'd much rather buy a top player when we can, who can take a spot and force others down the pecking order, strengthening overall.

I think they have different players. The idea of "better" is subjective but I do think they have imprinted a particular style of play/philosophy over a number of years and have, via their finances, plus have been able to find more ready-made round pegs for round holes than we have. The number of full-backs that Pep has acquired for example is evidence to the pursuit of that dominance and whilst I always want to improve, I wouldn't want to do it "their" way ie aiming to out-spend everyone - I'd personally see little reward in it.

They do excel over us in a few areas - the relentlessly long spells of possession, propensity for an early goal, robotic memorisation of movement patterns to ensure that cut-back goals and back-post tap-ins are always on and seemingly having lads with an exquisite first touch in every area of the pitch to help their monopoly on possession.

I do genuinely believe that although the individual players of opposing sides might not put more effort in against us than Man City, the fans of rival clubs sure do hate us more than most. Perhaps there is something to the idea that the extra fire/animosity/decibels created in crowds that find excuses to sing "feed the Scousers" or "always the victims" or "he slipped in his f**king arse" to pad out their singing may transfer as a "big atmosphere" onto the lads on the pitch and give the players an extra 1% that stacks up over a season. I could be well off the mark on that of course.
    We are loathed more because of our legacy as the most successful club in the land. United face similar. It’s what Real face in Spain all the time. The teams that have won the most over the longest period of time pick up the most amount of dislike from other fans.

As for which squad is better. Well Pep isn’t winning much with our squad, but Klopp would take a clean sweep with his. Imo

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    We are loathed more because of our legacy as the most successful club in the land. United face similar. It’s what Real face in Spain all the time. The teams that have won the most over the longest period of time pick up the most amount of dislike from other fans.
    We are indeed - so I do think some of that acoustic energy and raucous noise is bound to work it's way to players to SOME degree at least, perhaps translating into what we perceive has excellent effort levels against us from opposition sides. We've seen Everton supporters practically frothing at the mouth in games for example and that definitely translates - we'll see a crunching tackle moments later.

Hard to know if that has any truth to it mind, or is simply one of those perceived things that all fans feel happens to their club - how often have we felt a goalie had the "game of their life" against us for example?

None of this is said to excuse dropped points - just curious observation/speculation.