Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Naby Kieta

Naby Kieta

What is the point in keeping him ? Maybe some feel different but anytime like last night we need something from the midfield, he doesn't even get on the pitch. Am I missing something ?

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    What is the point in keeping him ? Maybe some feel different but anytime like last night we need something from the midfield, he doesn't even get on the pitch. Am I missing something ?
    He needs to go. You are spot in regarding him. He won't ever be fit enough for long periods and when he is fit, he isn't starting. He is on high wages and taking a spot in the squad for a midfielder that could play everyweek. Let him and ox go. Waste of money and squad places.

I like Keita.

He's injury-prone and has the occasional nightmare of a performance. The inconsistency of performance doesn't annoy me half as much as the injury rate does.

For me, when fit and playing well, he offers quite a bit. This article from March of 2022 highlights some of the stuff he does relatively well.

https://www.si.com/soccer/liverpool/opinions/opinion-naby-ke%C3%AFta-is-one-of-the-best-all-round-midfielders-in-the-premier-league-heres-why-stats-drop-lfc

The key thing with injury-prone lads is not to have too many of them. If Ox (very injury-prone) departed and was replaced by someone very robust, then Naby's injury record becomes slightly less of an inconvenience. The same can be said for all of our other injury-prone lads.

If Milner and Ox go at the end of the season and two robust lads come in, then Naby's injury record becomes much less of a problem, so hopefully we identify targets accordingly. As lads come to the end of their contracts, have robust lads lined up to replace.

We rotated him and Thiago quite cleverly last season. Hopefully he can get a game against Man United on Monday coming and show his better qualities.

You like everyone and never had a bad word to say about them insidious..
    Keita takes 2 weeks off for a cold.. I know he was on the bench last night. But seems he can't be trusted.
    when he smirked at the wayward shot in the champions league final. I could have slapped him..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Hey sid, he has some moments but they are few and far between. He can't get a consistent run without getting injured. If he signed a new contract on reduced wages of say 70 to 80k then OK. But can't see that happening. I wouldnt be offering him a new contract on his current wage let alone a pay rise. He just isn't dependable enough.

I really thought he would be a terrific asset. I kept hoping but now I think his time is up. Minute for minute and definitely £ for £ Tyler Morton has shown more.

Nobody wants him, that's the problem or if they do the club are not taking a big hit on him.
    Hes been a failure of a signing, there's no getting away from it.
    We are saddled with him and Ox until their deals run out.

If there was ever a case study on why "buying and loaning back" is a bad idea. He picked up that serious injury during his loan spell, never been the same.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    You like everyone and never had a bad word to say about them insidious..
    It's true that I will find more positives than many when it comes to our players, but I do have limitations and caveats.

With Keita, I'm quite happy for him to extend BUT I would only want him to do so if I thought a robust midfielder (or two) was joining, as it dilutes the aggregate minutes missed by players.

- Still plenty of years ahead of him
    - Bit different to our other midfield options
    - Capable of finding a through-ball (which I'd like to see with Núñez on the pitch)
    - Wins the ball back in the final third more than most, giving us chances to attack the opposition close to the box.

To contrast, with Oxlade-Chamberlain - whilst I really like his personality as a human being, I actively want this to be the final year of his contract and would be a little bewildered if he extended. I wish him the very best, but foresee no future for him here, whereas I still think Keita can contribute as a bench/rotation player for some time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Hey sid, he has some moments but they are few and far between. He can't get a consistent run without getting injured. If he signed a new contract on reduced wages of say 70 to 80k then OK. But can't see that happening. I wouldnt be offering him a new contract on his current wage let alone a pay rise. He just isn't dependable enough.
    Understand and respect your view.

Besides the points I've already made, I'd add that I would be reluctant to change too much, too quickly (if Ox and Milner left AND Keita left, we potentially find 3 spots, leading to a "transition" season) and that in the current market, finding 3 top midfielders could require a pretty incredible outlay.

Our sports science team will know more, but they may feel that they have gotten closer to "cracking" how best to utilise him in terms of minimising injury - he actually appeared 23 times in the League for us last season (compared to 10 in 20/21) and appeared 40 times in all comps - so he was available rather a lot.

I'd be keen to see how he does this season, particularly with the 5 subs rule. If he was closer to the 23 League appearances again (rather than the 10) and was largely performing well, I'd hang on a little longer. I'd like to see him get a chance with some of the likes of Diaz, Núñez, Elliott on the pitch - see if he strikes up any sort of chemistry with them - before considering a swing of the Axe just yet.

A "triangle" of him, Diaz and Robertson on the left to mirror and compliment the other side's Henderson/Salah/Trent or Elliot/Salah/Trent triumvirate could be a fun watch. May as well see if it bears fruit before getting rid.