Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Jurgen's at the wheel

Analysis aside we can tear into each other on here, we aren't prevy to the day to day sessions etc.
    But u can tell a team are lacking in belief individually and as a collective, our collective spirit is our best strength.
    Trent having no competition is a problem now, mo carries all our attacking burden and it shows.
    Diaz seems devoid of game intelligence.
    Sadio best trait was to inject real pace into an attack at exactly the right time.
    Diaz hasn't got thst yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Matip, Konate, Thaigo, Jota and Nunez in that squad tonight and things would've been different.

100% spot on...BUT some of the older guard are on the slide no doubt...Not easy to replace/upgrade sadly...

Quote Originally Posted by Martyboy View Post
    100% spot on...BUT some of the older guard are on the slide no doubt...Not easy to replace/upgrade sadly...
    It's genuinely rarely as bad as it seems. Lads being low on confidence or in bad form makes it all seem worse. Throw an injury crisis in, it compounds things. No need for 7/8/9 transfers or anything though.

Look at the midfield. Milner and Keita are 4th/5th choice, Ox honestly about 8th pick. Let them leave at the end of contracts. When Ox leaves, give his spot to Morton.

Henderson still can contribute, but give him that Milner-esque role. Get one lad in who can go into the starting XI (let's say, Bellingham) and one who is able to rotate for a starting position, ie 4th/5th pick (let's say, Laimer) for the starting front three. Ensure the lads coming in are 26-or-younger.

With those 2 incoming transfers alone (those names given are only examples, doesn't have to be them*) you drastically improve the picture. Hypothetically -

Thiago
    Fabinho
    Bellingham (much younger than Henderson)
    Laimer
    Henderson (good bit younger than Milner)
    Elliott
    Jones
    Morton (much younger than Ox)

Much of our quality in the centre isn't always available - not will it ever be - but we can definitely improve on the tally of accumulated minutes missed and improve on the average age of the midfield.

Fresh energy and enthusiasm will have an impact on other players that is infectious, so effort levels likely go up as well.

With the more attacking lads I think most would be reasonably happy with Núñez or Jota being flanked by Diaz and Salah. We'll say it's Núñez starting with Jota as cover. Then it's Firmino and Carvalho. If average squad age is a concern (and let's face it, Firmino rarely scores now) then Carvalho can get more minutes via Firmino's departure and Gordon could get promoted to that 6th spot, leaving us (hypothetically) with -

Núñez
    Diaz
    Salah
    Jota
    Carvalho
    Gordon

- meaning only Salah was in the over-30 bracket. We could of course use the transfer market at some stage too if we feel there aren't enough goals there, but in this example I prioritised the midfield.

The above example featured -

- letting 4 lads go at end of contract (Ox, Milner, Keita, Firmino)
    - buying 2 midfielders
    - promoting Gordon and Morton

You'd be left with a younger squad that could collectively miss less games through injury and it would be a good platform upon which to build further in future windows.

Just an example - don't think we need to rip everything we have built up. Perhaps a season (maybe even two) of no title and/or no Champion's League win as we transition a bit, but certainly not (in my opinion) one that bombs out of the Champion's League spots.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I think it's disrespectful to Klopp the way you think your bedroom analysis, with limited insight into the real dynamics of the club, puts you in a position to criticize one of our best managers of all time.

Do you get anywhere near an amateur club as a coach? Do you have any role in real football beyond your laptop?
    All we can do is comment on what we see.

For me it shouldn't surprise people that united targeted our right side.
    We have Elliot playing most advanced, a young rwf playing rcm.
    Trent looking like he needs the bench to sort his head out.
    And Gomez our 4th choice centreback.

The game before manu we did this with Philips our 5th choice Centre back.
    In both these games to the left of our 6 were Milner, VVD & Robbo. That's not a well balanced side defensively on paper.

Elliot playing rcm encapsulates a strategic error as I see it, and his selection at rcm exemplifies the change in our shape with Hendo playing similarly to Elliot.
    Bombing on positional with little end product.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Absolutely not, we improve when Carvalho came on, he made a massive difference, Fab who was one of 3 players who let Rashford breeze past him, planted a tame lame free header straight into De Gea's hands and didn't release a single one of our players ahead of him with a meaningful pass?

In any scenario in which we are chasing a goal or two Fab should not be on the pitch, bringing him on was headless chicken stuff as he proved defensively and with the ball and a gilt edged chance to equalise after coming on
    You don't half talk bollox.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It's genuinely rarely as bad as it seems. Lads being low on confidence or in bad form makes it all seem worse. Throw an injury crisis in, it compounds things. No need for 7/8/9 transfers or anything though.

Look at the midfield. Milner and Keita are 4th/5th choice, Ox honestly about 8th pick. Let them leave at the end of contracts. When Ox leaves, give his spot to Morton.

Henderson still can contribute, but give him that Milner-esque role. Get one lad in who can go into the starting XI (let's say, Bellingham) and one who is able to rotate for a starting position, ie 4th/5th pick (let's say, Laimer) for the starting front three. Ensure the lads coming in are 26-or-younger.

With those 2 incoming transfers alone (those names given are only examples, doesn't have to be them*) you drastically improve the picture. Hypothetically -

Thiago
    Fabinho
    Bellingham (much younger than Henderson)
    Laimer
    Henderson (good bit younger than Milner)
    Elliott
    Jones
    Morton (much younger than Ox)

Much of our quality in the centre isn't always available - not will it ever be - but we can definitely improve on the tally of accumulated minutes missed and improve on the average age of the midfield.

Fresh energy and enthusiasm will have an impact on other players that is infectious, so effort levels likely go up as well.

With the more attacking lads I think most would be reasonably happy with Núñez or Jota being flanked by Diaz and Salah. We'll say it's Núñez starting with Jota as cover. Then it's Firmino and Carvalho. If average squad age is a concern (and let's face it, Firmino rarely scores now) then Carvalho can get more minutes via Firmino's departure and Gordon could get promoted to that 6th spot, leaving us (hypothetically) with -

Núñez
    Diaz
    Salah
    Jota
    Carvalho
    Gordon

- meaning only Salah was in the over-30 bracket. We could of course use the transfer market at some stage too if we feel there aren't enough goals there, but in this example I prioritised the midfield.

The above example featured -

- letting 4 lads go at end of contract (Ox, Milner, Keita, Firmino)
    - buying 2 midfielders
    - promoting Gordon and Morton

You'd be left with a younger squad that could collectively miss less games through injury and it would be a good platform upon which to build further in future windows.

Just an example - don't think we need to rip everything we have built up. Perhaps a season (maybe even two) of no title and/or no Champion's League win as we transition a bit, but certainly not (in my opinion) one that bombs out of the Champion's League spots.
    I think we'd all be ok with this. Just think most are surprised it hasn't happened this season.

I will still be amazed if another midfielder isn't brought in before the end of the window.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoD12 View Post
    Analysis aside we can tear into each other on here, we aren't prevy to the day to day sessions etc.
    But u can tell a team are lacking in belief individually and as a collective, our collective spirit is our best strength.
    Trent having no competition is a problem now, mo carries all our attacking burden and it shows.
    Diaz seems devoid of game intelligence.
    Sadio best trait was to inject real pace into an attack at exactly the right time.
    Diaz hasn't got thst yet.
    Very good analysis

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    All we can do is comment on what we see.

For me it shouldn't surprise people that united targeted our right side.
    We have Elliot playing most advanced, a young rwf playing rcm.
    Trent looking like he needs the bench to sort his head out.
    And Gomez our 4th choice centreback.

The game before manu we did this with Philips our 5th choice Centre back.
    In both these games to the left of our 6 were Milner, VVD & Robbo. That's not a well balanced side defensively on paper.

Elliot playing rcm encapsulates a strategic error as I see it, and his selection at rcm exemplifies the change in our shape with Hendo playing similarly to Elliot.
    Bombing on positional with little end product.
    Commenting on what we see is very different to the intent of this thread.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Waiting for an overpriced player like bellingham is something we cannot do.

Our midfield with klopp was never based on quality and has been on the downhill since gini left.
    It was clear we simply lacked legs/energy/power in midfield.
    I mean milner was basically henderson 5 years ago. Hendersons all action is on the wane and I don't think we have anyone else who can compensate.

As much as 19x will disagree, fabinho starting would have still been miles better than milner.

While Nunez is likely to be a good striker I don't think we can spend that money on one player and if we do the same with bellingham, there will be another area we will be short in. Perhaps full backs.

40-50 mill is our sweet spot in the current market for someone like gabriel jesus, and the other 30 spent on a bisouma or similar.
    I'm glad we got Nunez but it should have only been done if we could also get a cm.

Also not sure what all the Diaz criticism. Is about, he's about as close a player to mane you can get. Full of running, guile, fight. Yes he's not complete yet but looking at the team this season, even vvd has been rather lethargic and is to blame for a few goals. What has Robertson done?

@Toshin.
    Agree fully. The midfield needed attention before the attack, we would have been short by not replacing Mane but we still had goals in there with Salah and Jota.
    I personally think Klopp will have been told he can have both but on the proviso that Keita or Ox are moved on.
    We have far too much deadwood picking up heavy wage packets, we've shifted plenty of it out but some hasn't been replaced, it doesn't have to be in like for like areas either.
    We might see a difference on the right side when Ramsay is fit.