Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Injury+suspension list and updates.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    I do wonder if Klopp is trying to keep a little bit in reserve till after the World Cup.
    Possible.

Also we have had more possession in games I would imagine, thus the opposition would potentially have to run a bit more to keep their shape as we pass it about with reasonable accuracy to each other in spells of possession.

Also been integrating new lads in.

Also could be deliberate instruction to try and ensure nobody ends up out with a hamstring injury during an injury crisis.

Also some of the sides we have played know they can run more as they don't have European football.

It's a small sample size. If it turns out we end the SEASON as the worst side for running, that will concern me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Possible.

Also we have had more possession in games I would imagine, thus the opposition would potentially have to run a bit more to keep their shape as we pass it about with reasonable accuracy to each other in spells of possession.

Also been integrating new lads in.

Also could be deliberate instruction to try and ensure nobody ends up out with a hamstring injury during an injury crisis.

Also some of the sides we have played know they can run more as they don't have European football.

It's a small sample size. If it turns out we end the SEASON as the worst side for running, that will concern me more.
    Dear Sid,
    Don't we already have a hamstring injury or two?

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Dear Sid,
    Don't we already have a hamstring injury or two?
    Yes, hence me me mentioning the injury crisis - as in, we don't want MORE - so we might actively be trying to avoid reducing the number of high intensity sprints for individual players - admittedly speculation on my part.

Hendo out three weeks now. Guess Arthur is going to find out what the PL is like rather quickly.

Steve Nicol reckons that Arthur won't even play, that he has been brought in just to have enough players to make the training sessions work. Someone else on ESPN says that he is a technically excellent player, but he doesn't advance the ball. Just maintains possession sideways, and so hardly suits the Klopp system.
    Maybe we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Steve Nicol reckons that Arthur won't even play, that he has been brought in just to have enough players to make the training sessions work. Someone else on ESPN says that he is a technically excellent player, but he doesn't advance the ball. Just maintains possession sideways, and so hardly suits the Klopp system.
    Maybe we will see.
    Apparently all you have quoted is correct.Originally signed by Sarri but Sarri was then fired and Pirlo took over but Arthur got injured so didn't play.Then Allegri took over whose playing system was totally different from both Pirlo and Sarri. Apparently he wouldn't conform to Allegris playing style so didn't get selected and became surplus to requirements along with Zakaria.
    Last edited by fagin; 6th September 2022 at 04:06 AM.

Maybe we will see.
    If he can maintain possession and is relatively press-resistant then I'd be quite happy to have him and Thiago (when they're both fit) brought on for the closing 20 minutes of games to whittle the clock down a bit and maintain some control.

We mainly just need bodies back. The international break used to be something I would curse due to PTSD of Nando going off with Spain and getting injured, but I will welcome it with open arms this year.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Dear jr81,
    I do not have the data but I have a perception that we pick up quite a large number of niggling and persisting preseason injuries from Jurgen's preseason training which seems to undermine the reason for such training. I am deeply skeptical as to the cost/risk benefits of these low-key tournaments in continents where we do not plough our trade.

Hey scientifcred, I don't have data on injuries due to pre-season. From memory though I don't recall us having many injuries going into the start of a season (maybe Ox and Keita at some point I would guess). I could be completely wrong. This season has been a disaster for injuries. But the majority have happened in season, but potentially caused by the intense pre-season.

My own opinion from what I have read is that preseason was shorter (due to the world cup) but it was still intense. We played friendlies 2 days in a row maybe twice? That was so all the players could get minutes on the pitch. I think putting together our long season last year, the shorter break, intensity of pre-season and last season, it has all contributed to the injuries. Don't forget a lot of these players also played international games at the end of the season.

It should be noted that Jota and Kelleher were both injured on international duty.

Konate and Jones both injured in the last pre-season friendly? A game that was the day after the charity shield. Was there a need for that one? That would be my only main concern with pre-season.

Ox was injured in pre-season but again, isn't he always injured and I'm not trying to be flippant but I'm always waiting for him and Keita to break down.

All the others were injured in the league but some were injured after 1 or 2 games.

Ultimately we have to trust the professionals that are planning pre-season that they have know what they are doing. But we all know that it is scheduled around making money in some way or form so those guys have to plan to the best for travel, pitches, matches, climate, etc.

Have we simply broken our players from the last 5 years of intense play?

Maybe we will see.
    I think Nicol is wrong on this one. He will play.

He has been criticised for not playing the ball forward. Apparently Suarez had a pop at him while he was at Barcelona.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Yes, hence me me mentioning the injury crisis - as in, we don't want MORE - so we might actively be trying to avoid reducing the number of high intensity sprints for individual players - admittedly speculation on my part.
    Sid - I'm in agreement with this. I think Jurgen and the team are trying to manage the players for injuries and for the disjointed season.

Klopp removed both full backs 2 games in a row. He has never done that no matter how poorly either have played.
    And we were always a team that ran and all of a sudden we are ranked 17th in the league for the amount of ground covered. We have fewer sprints. Im thinking this is a strategy. But as you say, pure speculation.