Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: #fsgout

So if we have overtaken Man U financially..Where's the money we don't spend on the squad going?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-record-figure-manchester-united-24922043

Reminds me of Last of the summer wine when it comes to FSG.. In aunty wainrights window theres a sign 1000 bargains.
    And someone asks where are the bargains then? and she says 1000 bargains are for me. Thats FSG in a nutshell the money is theres no one elses. Even though the club has made all the wealth itself
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    Good and fair points.

But they are owners of one of the top 3-5 most supported clubs in world football. So the money in because of this is huge. They are responsible but it is beginning to bother on stingy rather than prudent.
    They're certainly "tight" with funds. Our average net spend over the Klopp years hasn't been very high.

If we had a sliding spectrum chart of what I would consider to be "right" in terms of how they go about the releasing of funds for squad development, I'd have them as just a little short of where I'd want us to be. Each Summer the sense is usually "we're one player off" - though (personal opinion) that is definitely massively preferable to the scatter-gun approach of Man United or Chelsea.

On a larger point I hate the way Football is "spend the most, you'll likely win" - I don't really subscribe to the philosophy of "if you can't beat them, join them" in life - I want to outsmart our rivals, not copy-and-paste their strategy. But I appreciate that that's subjective.

I was pleased to hear (relevant posts in our transfer thread) that we went for Laimer and Caicedo at the end of the window - assuming the info is true. I'd have much preferred us to conduct business earlier rather than whatever our post-Tchouameni decision-making process was, which would be worthy of a bit of an inquest if we knew what conversations went on at Board and recruitment level - we definitely messed up a bit when it comes to midfield recruitment this window.

The counter to that is the sheer volume of mids we have - I can imagine a conversation where someone says "Man City can manage with Rodri, Phillips, Gundogan, Bernardo and De Bruyne - you can definitely get by with having more options than that until next Summer" and it's not an unfair point - we sadly just have too many injury-prone midfielders.

Keita, Ox and Milner should go next Summer and two mids should be brought in - I'd happily promote from within for the 3rd option (Morton or Bajcetic for example) if the two coming are robust lads.

A lot can change quickly. In a period of five/six months 3 attack-minded players left (Mane, Origi, Minamino) to be replaced with a younger trio (Diaz, Núñez, Carvalho) to help future-proof the squad. A section of our midfield getting a similar overhaul would solve a lot of problems and potentially for a lengthy period of time if two of them are young.

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    So if we have overtaken Man U financially..Where's the money we don't spend on the squad going?

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-record-figure-manchester-united-24922043
    The ANE stand - that should have been built a decade ago is being paid for by the club. Like the new main stand was and still is.

I personally find it hard to credit the owners for any infrastructure improvements when we fund that ourselves. Liverpool FC pays for it - increasing the value of their asset. You could say it amounts to our net spend ability being impacted by their desire for profit.

Or another way. The asset (Liverpool FC) they paid so little for "going for a steal", is being weakened in the market to pay for a stadium cited as in desperate need of replacement or upgrade, by Moores/Parry in 2003!
    One of the main reasons presented for selling the club from day one.

Now we havent had a team like Klopp has built for eons..no argument...but since then 2003 we have won 2 European Cups... One still with Moores as owner and one with FSG. We made a second CL final with Hicks and Gillett in 2007 (only a few months in tbf) and were superb in 2009 when we took United to the wire. Rated number 1 in Europe for a few years and schooled Real Madrid Home and away! Don't forget..

This is a great club - it hasn't become one exclusively under FSG - in my humble opinion it has got back on the horse chiefly because of Klopp. FFS Rafa nearly did it in his time too, but was up against Romans Roubles, Fergie's genius AND possibly the worst owners in history.

We got so badly treated by Hicks and Gilett (Hicks mainly) that we have afforded FSG plenty leeway despite some dubious concepts. The baseline was so low they couldn't really lose.

Let's imagine FSG payed for the stadium upgrades and the move from Melwood to an upgraded Kirkby - EVEN if we ignore the money they got from selling Melwood (undisclosed ahem) that's less than £250 million combined. 1/4 of the net profit Henry personally made last year! Relative to what they (FSG) have made already on the club - (and this can be used as collateral to buy plenty of Penguins) it is a pittance. The value of their asset has increased beyond 10 times what they paid. So when you see Jurgen with a sell-to-buy model - it's a little rich to see folk crediting the owners for our recent success.

They need to pull their finger out and help and we will be fighting City on every front again this season and next. Klopp is the best - by a mile... back him and we win so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

I personally find it hard to credit the owners for any infrastructure improvements when we fund that ourselves. Liverpool FC pays for it - increasing the value of their asset. You could say it amounts to our net spend ability being impacted by their desire for profit.
    This is such strange, cramped Marxist thinking .

Firstly, 'ourselves' includes the owners of the club - or are they come kind of entity that floats, disconnected from the club? They have the right to run the club into the ground, disenfranchise the fans and sell the assets as real estate if they wish. There is no ourselves without them. That has always been the situation.

Secondly, all stadiums are funded by the club except those gifted by the local council like West Ham and Man City, which may or may not be part purchased by the club - 'themselves'

Arsenal and Tottenham have paid for their stadiums with the help of the banks - they have to pay the banks 'themselves'. It's a model with some advantages and some disadvantages but it does not evade the necessity of being paid for.

Being debt free is one way of doing it. You may think it's a travesty today but all you have to do is imagine a tomorrow where it becomes an advantage and then your banging the drum for debt looks short-sighted.

Man U need to pay for a new stadium if Gary Neville is correct. They are currently going deeply into debt to catch up with our squad building and the owners are taking out £134 million in share dividends each year, making the stadium upgrade look more onerous each year.

The other option is foreign investment which you like to imagine as being a gift. But nothing comes for free in this life. When that happens, all of 'ourselves' have to such the cock of the big Arab prince and we become his harem to be played with to his hearts content.

It's an option but you can lead us to that utopia if you wish - I won't be following you, thanks very much.

It worked then.. my Thatcher loving Red... Now there's irony

I put Milner in a different camp to Ox and Keita.

Milner has been class for us, we shouldn't having playing as much as he does. He took a pay cut to stay. He's a good leader within the squad. I'd have him as a coach all day long.

I have sympathy for both Ox and Keita, no player wants to be injured. They were at Liverpool during this amazing time and probably both feel they haven't contributed as much as they could/should have. Ox had a spell of being brilliant for us until the injury v City. Keita was an important squad player last year. Time to move on for both.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I put Milner in a different camp to Ox and Keita.

Milner has been class for us, we shouldn't having playing as much as he does. He took a pay cut to stay. He's a good leader within the squad. I'd have him as a coach all day long.

I have sympathy for both Ox and Keita, no player wants to be injured. They were at Liverpool during this amazing time and probably both feel they haven't contributed as much as they could/should have. Ox had a spell of being brilliant for us until the injury v City. Keita was an important squad player last year. Time to move on for both.
    Millie left people standing in that pre-season training that involved long-distance running. Not sure what that was all about. I thought our pre-season training was a bit poor. Agree that Millie is still a valuable asset!

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Millie left people standing in that pre-season training that involved long-distance running. Not sure what that was all about. I thought our pre-season training was a bit poor. Agree that Millie is still a valuable asset!
    Milner has won that test each season that he has been here now. His powers of endurance are insane.

Unfortunately for him (and for us) his explosiveness, top speed and acceleration are limited. The Premier League has become particularly quick and with time standing still for nobody while the game continues to evolve, his limitations will become more glaring.

I love the man. Top professional, a winner, competitive, full of nous and knows when to take a cynical yellow. If Football ran on sentiment I would sign him up forever.

I do hope he can join our coaching staff in future. I do however think this should be his last season.

I think we dropped his wages from £150kpw to £120kpw or £100kpw. We'll assume it's the latter.

Releasing him, Ox and Keita would free up around £340,000-per-week. We could definitely put that to better use than what we are currently getting from it - mainly down to Ox and Keita having Croissants in their legs rather than muscles.

Laimer at Leipzig is on £47k a week. Give him an increase to 80k and he would actually play all season compared to OX and Keita. Money left from those two leaving would fund another mid or go into the “Bellingham kitty” lol