Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geography

Geography

Quite extraordinary geographical facts.
    https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/country-size-comparison/russia/united-kingdom
    Russia is 70x the size of UK but has only double the population!
    Some people put this down to the huge male losses suffered by Russia during WWII which was almost 80 years ago! Japan appeared to recover much better but from a different kind of war and vastly different circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Some people put this down to the huge male losses suffered by Russia during WWII which was almost 80 years ago! Japan appeared to recover much better but from a different kind of war and vastly different circumstances.
    I don't think WW11 has anything to do with it mate i think you will find most of Russia is not exactly to everyone's liking with their long winters and of course the Siberian desert.
    Canada is also a huge land mass similar to the USA yet the US has about 375,000,000 mill pop yet Canada has only 38,000,000 mill pop the difference again is the weather plus being a new country i have said on here before we have snow and really cold temps where i am from November through to April so if you don't like outside winter activities it can be quite depressing.We can get 30 inches of snow overnight which is ok because we're equipped for it,but it's also good to know that no matter how much snow one wakes up to,it is not an acceptable excuse to be late for work,and you will be written up.

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    I don't think WW11 has anything to do with it mate i think you will find most of Russia is not exactly to everyone's liking with their long winters and of course the Siberian desert.
    Canada is also a huge land mass similar to the USA yet the US has about 375,000,000 mill pop yet Canada has only 38,000,000 mill pop the difference again is the weather plus being a new country i have said on here before we have snow and really cold temps where i am from November through to April so if you don't like outside winter activities it can be quite depressing.We can get 30 inches of snow overnight which is ok because we're equipped for it,but it's also good to know that no matter how much snow one wakes up to,it is not an acceptable excuse to be late for work,and you will be written up.
    Thank you for your reply Fagin,
    It was not me suggesting that WWII was responsible for Russia's lowly population but some historians.
    I was curious after looking at how far the recent winter Olympics and world cup football had ventured into Russia. Not very far at all, and from studying russian geography at school I was led to believe that it was quite a fertile land, China too!
    I know also too know that Canada is pretty much next door to Russia at some point.
    Mercator's projection map makes it seem like the other side of the world!

Haha no, you're not very clever are you? alot of russia isn't livable in, and they don't have more foreigners for obvious reasons unlike here
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    Haha no, you're not very clever are you? alot of russia isn't livable in, and they don't have more foreigners for obvious reasons unlike here
    My my, you are everywhere tonight kev.
    Are you becoming unhinged ?

Thank you for your reply Fagin,
    It was not me suggesting that WWII was responsible for Russia's lowly population but some historians.
    I was curious after looking at how far the recent winter Olympics and world cup football had ventured into Russia. Not very far at all, and from studying russian geography at school I was led to believe that it was quite a fertile land, China too!
    I know also too know that Canada is pretty much next door to Russia at some point.
    Mercator's projection map makes it seem like the other side of the world!
    I understand you were just quoting mate...With regards to your suggestion that Russia is close to Canada you are correct in fact around 10,000 years ago when the Bering Strait between the two countries was frozen people migrated across the ice from Outer Mongolia to Canada and settled in the far north being then called Eskimo's but over time that name was considered derogatory and the new name is Inuit

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    I understand you were just quoting mate...With regards to your suggestion that Russia is close to Canada you are correct in fact around 10,000 years ago when the Bering Strait between the two countries was frozen people migrated across the ice from Outer Mongolia to Canada and settled in the far north being then called Eskimo's but over time that name was considered derogatory and the new name is Inuit
    Thank you Fagin for that little bit of history! Fascinating too for including Mongolia that seldom gets a mention in anyone's history!

From my research then approximately 1/3 of Russia is deemed habitable as us Europeans deem fit.
    (But still lots of other people live in such excluded extreme areas of Russia either voluntary or otherwise).
    That is still about 20x the area of the UK.
    Doing the simple maths and in summary, then the habitable areas of Russia are about 20x that of the UK but have only about double the population, mostly in the west of the country.

Geography?..Love my geography...I live within the 51st parallel North of the equator...How about any of you lot??...

Quote Originally Posted by Martyboy View Post
    Geography?..Love my geography...I live within the 51st parallel North of the equator...How about any of you lot??...
    Hi Martyboy !
    So somewhere along this line
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/51st_parallel_north
    For me, alternate mostly between 52nd and then 47th.