Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RiP Queen Elizabeth II

I love history programmes and stuff like that. And I'm not a royalist at all. But to me the queen was a decent human being, and she gave up 70 years of her life for her country, which should be admired.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Sad or scary, these are just different reactions to a sense of loss depending on whether you look back at what was or look forward into the uncertain times we face. A third reaction could be to detach and just not care as a coping mechanism.

For me, I didn't feel sad, but this news added to a sense of uncertainty. Not because I'm a royalist (I'm not) but because we are living in unstable times, and this country is going through a lot of changes. Some people love change and say bring it on, sometimes I'm like that too but right now, not so much. But don't worry, I'll be okay.
    Not sure I understand.

I understand the fear around rising energy costs, inflation, and recession. The choice of heating or eating - is far too real for many people. The dependency on food banks across the country. The future looks bleak.

The part that doesn't resonate with me is how the death of the Queen adds to this uncertainty and fear. I get how people can be sad about her death, whether they are a royalist or not. I don't get how this adds to the fear or uncertainry. I may have got the wrong end of the stick with what you're trying say.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

My daughter works in Royal Hillsborough as its called now, and Charles waved out at her and her work colleagues as he went past.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Not sure I understand.

I understand the fear around rising energy costs, inflation, and recession. The choice of heating or eating - is far too real for many people. The dependency on food banks across the country. The future looks bleak.

The part that doesn't resonate with me is how the death of the Queen adds to this uncertainty and fear. I get how people can be sad about her death, whether they are a royalist or not. I don't get how this adds to the fear or uncertainry. I may have got the wrong end of the stick with what you're trying say.
    The cost of living crisis belongs to the smaller picture, it is a daily day-to-day concern, in sharp focus, constant 24/7. If you pan out to the big picture you see how we are governed, which doesn't affect us day to day in the same way as our immediate needs for food/fuel/shelter but it does affect our lives overall, long term. After all how we are governed is the cause of the crisis in the first place. It is not the death of the Queen in itself that adds to uncertainty but the question of 'what happens next?', what it means for the country, and how it will affect government, the big picture etc.

A new prime minister and a new monarch may not be a big deal, certainly not if you are worrying about basic food or shelter, but perhaps it should be. If you think that the Queen was just a little old lady who lived in a castle with no influence then it's nothing to worry about but we may find that she was more influential than that.

How will her dying in Scotland affect Sturgeon's drive for Scottish independence? What position is Mark Drakeford angling for in Wales as he tries to shape William's coronation? You may be English and struggling day to day and say you don't care, fair enough, but these are bigger picture issues that could affect us all long term.

Prince Andrew: he's Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise

Seen on TV at 4:30 this morning the armed forces guys complete with band practicing for tomorrow. Quite a rarity to see. It was still dark! Their attention to detail amazes me. I am not sure any other country can compete with this.
    The whole shebang has been like preparing for the Olympics but at a moment's notice.
    Sure there will not be a foot out of place tomorrow!

Just watched the plane take off from Edinburgh airport.
    Quite a send off.
    She is called Elisabeth Queen of Scots up there.
    So romantic for me.
    Not Elisabeth II because Elisabeth I was never Queen of Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by fiordearg View Post
    Would you swap your life for his these past 48 hours ?

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Would you swap your life for his these past 48 hours ?
    Are you a Royalist? It's not a loaded question.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"