Thread: Thiago and Hendo double pivot

Thiago and Hendo double pivot

I've been loving it, two very positionally astute, highly experienced midfielders who both read the game incredibly well, are both very capable of creating in their own style and who both know how to work the space and to support each other and the other players in doing that

They absolutely bossed the midfield in the first half v Arsenal, of course there were teething troubles, because it was only the second time we played that system. In the second half Arsenal were able to press onto both and stop them dictating the play as they did first half because A It was their first game together as a pair in that system B It was a few other players first game in that system and only the second for any other player

So the movement off and around and support of each other was in its absolute infancy and the movement of the four players ahead of them and our full backs to support them with options when pressed was obviously lacking also

I absolutely loved the performance of both in that first half tonight, their movement off and around each other and support of each other was simply class, almost seamless at time. Changing the angles for themselves and one another, changing positions with one another throughout, one more forward one deeper, one left one right, one central at times, I thought it was glorious and exciting and offered so much more variety to our passing with the pairs different type and style of passing from the different positions, now we need another No6 in January who can pair with either of them for the rest of the season in doing that

No offence to Fab, but when he's paired with either, he remains very slow and ponderous and in his fixed DM position he's used to, he doesn't offer anything like the freedom of movement and support of it or changing of angle through position the Thiago/Hendo pairing do in combination - It's the same thing as with what became a fluid 3 in his absence in 19-20 unfortunately - Fab staying in his fixed slot makes the type of position to try and release a player Thiago or Hendo can get into far more limited and makes it incredibly predictable the forward pass trying to create will come from Hendo or Thiago when it goes to them, making it easier to defend

Early days and very VERY encouraging signs for me at least
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Dear Mr Ward and FSG

THIS is our man, make sure he is signed sealed and delivered on 1st of January, no fuck ups this time like with the Tchouameni transfer

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”