Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 36789101112131415161718192023 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    Thank you for your response and good points made.

I think we broadly agree, you seem a decent guy and I trust your stance on "Human Rights" is more against the political 'brand' and use of the term rather than 'the rights of humans'. People are people wherever you go and I'm sure the Arab world is just as excited as any Western hosts, more so since the Saudis beat Argentina today! And yes, love is accepting, hence the importance of calling out but not condemning. Personally I get the impression that whoever hosts the World Cup does so because of money, influence, bribery or deals etc and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but the hosts' expensive newly built stadiums often seem to get abandoned afterwards (this includes the Olympics) but hey that's the way of the world.
    I think Qatar intends to host future sporting events so the stadiums might have their capacity reduced and some of the seating has been designed to enable passing on to poor countries .
    I will try to find the article.

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    When England hosted the world cup �� n1966 homosexuality was illegal and remained so for some years after.
    I also believe there was a pastime in the uk known as gay- bashing in the 70s.
    Yep, the Britain I was born into and grew up in was homophobic and racist. Who knew?!

I think Qatar intends to host future sporting events so the stadiums might have their capacity reduced and some of the seating has been designed to enable passing on to poor countries .
    Here it is
    https://www.thenationalnews.com/weekend/2022/11/18/how-qatar-plans-to-breathe-new-life-into-its-stadiums-after-world-cup/

I saw an article that the Olympic villages, athletes accommodation in London 2012 would be used for much needed housing but that apparently did not happen? The cynic in me would assume that part of making a successful bid is to promise such things.

Quote Originally Posted by fagin View Post
    Grant Wahl is an American journalist who was detained for over half hour prior to kickoff by

security to remove his shirt.It had an emblem of a football on it surrounded by a

rainbow.Think it was only a small emblem.
    Couldn't have been any bigger...

https://amp.tmz.com/2022/11/21/reporter-grant-wahl-detained-wearing-rainbow-shirt-qatar/
    Offender Of The Offended...!!

It`s Better To Reign In Hell, Than Serve In Heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Daffydd View Post
    I think you'll find plenty of people had a problem with Qatar hosting the World Cup simply because it's too effin hot and they are not a footballing nations and didn't have the infrastructure before we even start talking about human rights.
    The disruption of the football season, the heat though offset by air conditioning were valid complaints.

The western world has the infrastructure to host the world Cup as it has large football stadiums. Seems a bit of a waste to build stadiums for a word cup in Qatar when there's plenty of stadiums elsewhere.

Surprised that Big Ibra is playing, I thought he was just a squad player for them.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Sorry there mate !the report i had read gave a totally different impression,basically saying the security staff were being over bearing about nothing.Hence me saying I THINK it was only a small emblem.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    The disruption of the football season, the heat though offset by air conditioning were valid complaints.

The western world has the infrastructure to host the world Cup as it has large football stadiums. Seems a bit of a waste to build stadiums for a word cup in Qatar when there's plenty of stadiums elsewhere.
    One of my main concerns is the way migrant workers appear to have been treated, and the number of deaths that have occurred. Modern slavery has been mentioned in this respect.
    I can only go by what has been reported.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    One of my main concerns is the way migrant workers appear to have been treated, and the number of deaths that have occurred. Modern slavery has been mentioned in this respect.
    I can only go by what has been reported.
    We need to stop going by what is being reported.

Thousands of Iraqis were killed (some estimates 1 000 000) since the USA supported by Britain went on the phantom war in search of mystical weapons of mass destruction.

Apparently, Qatar is the worst devil ever in the history of mankind.