Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup

And closer to home...
    Stonehenge or any other form of Henge!
    Monuments of slavery imho

Quote Originally Posted by scientificred View Post
    Not sure what it is but something extraordinary is happening.
    International football and the WC group stages have become exciting. Fantastic group games like cup finals happening.
    Edited post
    Sorry! Perhaps more like semi-finals as finals are often quite dull affairs
    indeed. Besides the England vs Iran and Spain trashing Costa Rica, this has been the most competitive WC ever. Only 2 teams have progressed to the last 16 and all are to play on the last day of group games.

For those not watching, you have been missing the most brilliant WC group game that I remember. And I include 1966? Football as I like it?

For interest for you Steveo
    Way back at school in late 60s early 70s our geography teachers had such a focus on China and Russia.
    We used to call them the Commys
    I quite liked their portrayal..
    There was once a time when I wanted to not only visit their countries but actually live there.
    Not now.
    How about yourself ?
    Dear Steveo,
    I await your reply

Dear Steveo,
    I await your reply
    I visited Russia in 1990 - as glasnost was in full swing. Flew from Heathrow to newly renamed St Petersburg… 3 nights then over night on the first leg of the trans Siberian express to Moscow for 5 nights. Ate at McDonalds near red Square - The whole experience was an eye opener. Russians offering me and my mate 150 Rubbles for £10. Exchange rate was about 5 rubbles to the pound I think. We bought about 6 bottles of Russian Champagne (which wasn’t bad) for about 2 Rubbles each.

We met some wonderful people including a group of Norwegian School girls on a floating hotel in St Petersburg. We found the Russian people extremely warm if a little melancholic.

It was a huge eye opener. Coming from London - which we all assumed was the biggest city in earth - Moscow was on another level, totally gigantic, from actual city size to size of infrastructure.

Can’t say I felt like I would have wanted to live there though. Especially at that time the place was in huge transition. It was about to become the wild east just after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I visited Russia in 1990 - as glasnost was in full swing. Flew from Heathrow to newly renamed St Petersburg… 3 nights then over night on the first leg of the trans a Siberian express to Moscow for 5 nights. Are at McDonalds near red Square - It was an eye opener. Russians offering me and my mate 150 Rubbles for £10. Exchange rate was about 5 rubbles to the pound I think. We bought about 6 bottles of Russian Champagne (which wasn’t bad) for about 2 Rubbles each.

We met some wonderful people including a group of Norwegian School girls on a floating hotel in St Petersburg. We found the Russian people extremely warm if a little melancholic.

It was a huge eye opener. Coming from London - which we all assumed was the biggest city in earth - Moscow was on another level, totally gigantic, from actual city size to size of infrastructure.

Can’t say I felt like I would have wanted to live there though. Especially at that time the place was in huge transition. It was about to become the wild east just after that.
    Why are you so pro Russian?
    Do you like Putin?
    Did you like any of his predecessors?
    Did you approve of either Glasnost or Perestroika?
    For myself I always found it terrible to kill a monarch let alone all the family.
    People without leadership run riot and become worse than the thing they revolted against.

Not pro Russian really, just feel compelled to defend what I see as a rabidly anti Russian media feeding the brainwash into most people in the west.

Do I like Putin? Not at all. He is a dictator, but think much of what he says makes sense. It’s clear to me WHY the US military and NATO don’t like him.. he isn’t a pushover. They want compliance.

Initially I thought Glasnost was great, but the net result was one of the most Uber capitalist societies on earth. A disgusting disparity between the haves and have nots that made even the US look tame.

As for the revolution, I don’t like the thought of the murder of the family BUT millions were starving and they took it too far with their lavish lifestyles - even warned to tone it down by their British cousins.

For the record I loathe the regimes in the Gulf though I have defended them over the hypocrisy levelled at Qatar over this World Cup.

And while the morons were belatedly in outrage at Qatars hosting of the WC

Look what they did

You will also notice - it’s all quiet on the Eastern front too. Nothing to see in Ukraine… wink

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Do aliens count ?
    No, they are illegals

I've watched very little of the world cup so far and what I have seen has been very poor.