Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 World Cup

Looks like Sadio is set to miss out. What a nitemare for some players this WC is.

Quote Originally Posted by reddownunder View Post
    I used to love watching the world cup.

The first one I watched was USA 94 as a 9 year old which included some great matches. I watched 63 out of 64 matches in 2002 given the friendly time zone and only didn't watch the 3rd place play off.

I excitedly got up in the wee hours of the morning to watch Australia at their first world cup in my lifetime in 2006 and did the same in 2010 and 2014.

I didn't realise it at the time but 2018 will probably be the last one I watch. The circumstances under which Qatar was awarded this world cup means I will make a point of not watching and from 2026 there will be 48 teams competing. This will mean every 3rd or 4th country in the world will be there which is just ridiculous and ruins the competitions prestige in my view.
    My first was the 1966 World Cup. I loved watching Portugal - Eusebio in particular.
    Korea - was it North or South? - were a breath of fresh air.
    Living in Liverpool at the time I watched the games on TV even though matches were played at Goodison.
    Was really chuffed England won it, even though it was dodgy, mainly because of Roger Hunt and Cally being in the squad. I was 13 years old at the time!
    Today I have absolutely no interest in the England side!
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

You must be as old as me Redebrek!
    I think it was North Korea.
    Pak Du Ik
    They put out Italy in the group stages.
    Eusebio was fantastic at that tournament and I was hoping Portugal would win.
    England to win it was fixed in my opinion. Only got through the quarters due to two Argentine players being sent off. The ref said afterwards he sent one of them off because of the look in his eye. In the semi final Nobby Stiles kicked lumps out of Eusebio with impunity and Jack Charlton caught a goal bound shot on the line with his hands and didn't even get a red card (can't have him missing the final).
    And in the final itself..let's face it that second Hurst goal that bounced down off the crossbar would never survive goal line technology today. And the final goal..the famous commentary..there are people on the pitch, they think it's all over. Well the rules say if spectators come on the pitch you have to stop the game.
    Germany had a fantastic team and were robbed. Russia and Portugal also great.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    You must be as old as me Redebrek!
    I think it was North Korea.
    Pak Du Ik
    They put out Italy in the group stages.
    Eusebio was fantastic at that tournament and I was hoping Portugal would win.
    England to win it was fixed in my opinion. Only got through the quarters due to two Argentine players being sent off. The ref said afterwards he sent one of them off because of the look in his eye. In the semi final Nobby Stiles kicked lumps out of Eusebio with impunity and Jack Charlton caught a goal bound shot on the line with his hands and didn't even get a red card (can't have him missing the final).
    And in the final itself..let's face it that second Hurst goal that bounced down off the crossbar would never survive goal line technology today. And the final goal..the famous commentary..there are people on the pitch, they think it's all over. Well the rules say if spectators come on the pitch you have to stop the game.
    Germany had a fantastic team and were robbed. Russia and Portugal also great.
    Portugal were close to being knocked out by North Korea, but Eusebio pulled them through.
    I can also clearly remember the 1970 World Cup. West Germany "revenge" against England with Gordon Banks out and Bonetti in goal.
    The final won by a magnificent Brazil team against Italy.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62712350

1974 World Cup - I wanted Johann Cruyff and Holland to win against Germany.
    Didn't England fail to qualify for this one? - knocked out of qualifying by Poland if my memory hasn't completely gone.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63177677

What's the difference between England a teabag? a teabag lasts longer in the cup
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

@redebreck. Englesi didn't make 74 or 78.

boom boom .......lolol

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    What's the difference between England a teabag? a teabag lasts longer in the cup
    Nice.

I like watching England get beaten by teams in penalty shoot-outs, though can't this year on account of not watching the Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Nice.

I like watching England get beaten by teams in penalty shoot-outs, though can't this year on account of not watching the Tournament.
    Why won’t ya watch it. At least dip in and out the odd time

England midfield looks poor on paper.