Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Champions League last 16 draw Monday 7th Nov 11am

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    0-2
    THE stat.
    Anyone can say this about any game if they choose.

We could ignore "THE stat" v Leicester City when we won 2:1 at home - despite the fact they outplayed us at Anfield for good spells and scored all 3 goals.

However some of us who were watching suggested, based on everything else apart from "THE stat' felt that if we played the same way - we would get beat at Brentford DESPITE them being without their main man.

And that is precisely what happened..in that particular case.. "THE stat" was 3:1 to the mighty Bees

Beyond that simple and obvious stat Kiopp was right.. we had better overall stats than we did in the 2:2 draw there last season. I would say Brentford played like we did in the CL final..

Who knows dicko, maybe you have stumbled on the formula..
    Last edited by Steveo; 10th January 2023 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    We were poor, but we were so desperate to put right the defeat to Real...we got that soft pen and hung onto it. We played like a lower league team against a title candidate in truth. The UEFA stats are kind too - all others give Spurs 65% of the ball and almost 3 times as many completed passes. Alisson making 8 saves - Loris.. just the 1.

Make no mistake we were hanging on for a long long time, Thoughts of Klopp's final record spinning through the minds of millions of Reds...Origi the saviour in the end because I am pretty confident Spurs would have got a goal back. Then we would have been in the mire. Thank the good lord for that penalty and Poch's crazy decision to play an unfit Kane.

I have watched it back a few times since.. on the night I just remember the game taking what seemed like 300 minutes to play out. Torture
    It certainly was torture. Our desperation as fans made it worse. We just couldn't lose, I was just saying to pals at work yesterday about that game that whoever lost was knocked out. Spurs have never recovered and I think we would have been the same.

Absolutely - this is football. So much can hinge on a Mark Robbins moment.

Has to be said about the final.. Although Spurs dominated those possession stats and passing stats -they really didn't trouble us much defensively. But that is likely because we took such an early lead and we were so much deeper. Virgil was like a wall at the back. YOU could see how we were going to be ready for another title push. Mane and Mo looked RAZOR sharp on the ball..despite us barely having a kick in that final.
    Last edited by Steveo; 10th January 2023 at 03:07 PM.

To be honest my recollection of the game was we were in control.
    Perhaps those passes were made at their backline.
    The chances weren't big.
    I never thought we'd lose the game.
    Felt confident.
    Those stats lie imo .

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    To be honest my recollection of the game was we were in control.
    Perhaps those passes were made at their backline.
    The chances weren't big.
    I never thought we'd lose the game.
    Felt confident.
    Those stats lie imo .
    I felt exactly the same. I was as about sure as you can be for any game that we would win. After the final the year before, the pain for the team. After that game against Barcelona, I just thought we would do whatever was necessary to win, having been given a second chance. I think Spurs were happy just to be there, but we were there to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Absolutely - this is football. So much can hinge on a Mark Robbins moment.
    Or a Naby Keita 'moment' volley in cl final 2022 😂

I wonder if both yous two felt as certain we would beat Real last Summer too..

The reality is - it doesn't matter how much anyone thinks we will win, before or during a game. Stats are stats and the stat that says we never got that same team out before or since is valid - as are the stats that show we didn't play very well with that lineup...and that we had the game all but handed to us courtesy of a very soft penalty after 25 seconds.

Last summer no.
    We had a 50/50 chance .
    Probably stats on that game show us better , like Spurs did in 2019.
    Courtois had the game of his life.
    Liverpool outdone by Ancelotti (x2 now 2007 and 2022) .
    A bit of quality from Valverde , vvd didn't get the block and TAA caught ball watching forgetting the man behind him free.
    We were hardly outplayed by Real Madrid.
    Liverpool were the better team.
    Before the game I didn't think that we had to just turn up and win .
    Real knocked out PSG, Man City , another too big team ? To get there.
    And all those talking about revenge are stupid.
    Football never works like that.
    On the contrary, when you talk about revenge it kicks you in the teeth even more.

The only moment I got twitchy in 2019 was the Erkisen free kick left side, of 18yard box.