Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Cody Gakpo

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    This is some of the nonsense steveo often comes out with it.. Like he rates Thiago and Thiago can do no wrong. when most of us think hes been less than average since he arrived at our club..
    I for one is really impressed with Gakpo.
    He labelled Gakpo a stop gap poor man's David N'Gog

Our right hand side, that was by far our most potent and inluential last season (21-22) stopped working because of a culmination of 3 things

Jurgen trying to make Thiago designated playmaker rather than the team making the play, which saw almost all other players see significantly less of the ball, and not get it where they previously created from, it also broke down almost all our established movement and positioning off one another which also wrecked our press and counter press ability

Ditching the controller role from LCM and/or RCM with one of them performing it while the other was forward and employing Elliott at RCM getting in Trent's and Mo's space made matters even worse

This isn't the players or those players fault, it's Jurgen's use of them that created the issues.

There's never would have been a problem with Trent at RB if you put the midfield roles back to as they were before Jurgen fucked so many things up with ill thought out changes, he needs to stop trying to be Bayern City and instead further evolve what HE devised that actually won things and best suits our players, something there was still so much left to do of

Even heading into the summer, it's like having a new manager with no proven track record of being successful playing the box midfield system we finished the season playing

Original 433 system all the way for me, with the box tweak and others something we implement for certain games or at certain stages of games
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Let's be honest, he was fucking awful the first 4 or 5 games. Obviously the team were poor during that time but I can't remember which game it was, but he kicked on after it( maybe after his first goal) and does look a decent player.
    But for anyone to say he's been brilliant needs to lower their standards.

Correct as usual Ian, but honesty is pretty thin on the ground for some.

And Gakpo was a stop gap signing. If Nunez shows up with what was expected and the injuries to Jota and Diaz don’t materialise - he ain’t coming: Full stop. Klopp’s weak attempt to defend it when questioned “ sports point of view” highlighting precisely the point I made.

From the Mirror:

Klopp denied that Liverpool's move for the Dutchman was motivated by injuries to key players in the final third. He told the club's website:

"We decided to do something from a sports point of view – without having the green light from the financial side already – months ago if you want, so two or three months ago.

"So that's why it has nothing to do with that. But in the end that we could do it early, that might have been influenced. We worked on it and you never have a guarantee when you find an agreement or whatever, these kind of things".

———————————————-

These signings can come good. Sometimes they work out and it’s great and often they don’t. If Coady can match his form from half a season in Holland across the entire league campaign in England - next season.. he will have proved a truly excellent addition.

But those who want to flip 180 now and say Coady is brilliant (he really hasn’t been that - not yet) are likely to be left with egg on their faces at times next season.

Let’s hope not eh. “from a sports point of view”…at least

I criticised him every bit as much as you did Steveo, think he’s fitted in pretty well since the initial half dozen games or so mind.
    Really looks like he’s going to fill the Bobby role pretty damn well to me. He’ll be better and more consistent next season I’m sure.

Fingers and toes tightly crossed that the knee brace doesn't mean a severe injury such as the ACL - lovely finish today.

He initially carried on so doubt it’s an ACL

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I sincerely hope not. Lucas attempted to walk a few steps after he had done his.

He certainly won't be available for our upcoming couple of games before the international break and Jota will have a suspension to serve, so a front three of Diaz, Núñez and Salah will likely pick itself unless there are injuries.

Hopefully a month or so at a maximum. He looked to be in a lot of discomfort.

Only a one game ban for Jota

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    That doesn't prove anything. The same Liverpool physio, (Chris Morgan) asked Lucas Leiva and Martin Kelly to carry on playing after failing to diagnose their ACL's.