Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Cody Gakpo

Now, the bigger job awaits, for signing a couple of much needed new physios...

Interesting news indeed. Do you reckon we might convert him to central midfield? I haven't watched him play too often admittedly.

Or is he definitely a forward only? With Diaz/Jota having long term injuries this would make sense. I just hope it's not instead of a midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Now, the bigger job awaits, for signing a couple of much needed new physios...
    Absolutely! Something needs to be done about these constant serious injuries.

He is very good. Thought he was headed to the mancs. Spoiled with wingers we are, need mids though.

Redcafe probably melting down lol
    Last edited by 3underpar; 27th December 2022 at 03:17 AM.

Can’t have too many attacking options imo. Looks a good signing. Slight concern that Diaz’s knee and Jota’s persistent lay offs might have been a factor. Becoming very reactionary of late aren’t we…

Hope Fernandez to the filth hasn’t been made more inevitable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurthers View Post
    Interesting news indeed. Do you reckon we might convert him to central midfield? I haven't watched him play too often admittedly.

Or is he definitely a forward only?
    One of the journos (I think I put a quote up before sleep last night, was drowsy) has suggested he was meant to be a Summer buy (the one to come, not the one just gone) but that action from another Premier League club forced our hand - like Spurs bidding for Diaz.

That doesn't seem unlikely. Then when you consider that Jota is out, Diaz is out and Firmino has an issue - all at a time when we are about to have a lot of fixtures - it makes sense.

We can't play Núñez and Salah for 90 minutes of every match in all comps - imagine losing Núñez while Firmino, Jota and Diaz were out as well. We need goals to qualify for the Champion's League and acquiring strength in depth to try and secure us getting that done seems a reasonable move - and certainly better than the Kabak/Davies/Arthur strategy.

In terms of the 23/24 season it will be nice to enter it with Gakpo having had some time with the side. Hopefully less adjustment required in the Summer - any incoming midfielder would need to gel but we would hopefully be relatively stable in attack and defence.

It looks a good long-term move. Age profile of our attackers will be excellent now. A quick mention on his height as well - we have a few players that aren't the tallest. Having another Giraffe for the defending and attacking of set-pieces is an intriguing prospect. I wouldn't want to be a defending side with Matip, Van Dijk, Gakpo and Núñez all in the box on a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by 3underpar View Post
    He is very good. Thought he was headed to the mancs.
    If he was and we have scuppered their January transfer plans then all the better. If we take the stance that Man City, Arsenal and Newcastle are finishing in the Champion's League spots then we're essentially in competition with Spurs, Chelsea, Man United and maybe Brighton this season. We obviously would rather be challenging for the Title but finishing in the Top Four at expense of rivals can only be a good thing.

I didn't watch any of the WC, but read that Codes van Gakpo was played all along Holland's forward line in their games in Qatar. Can anyone here verify this?
    I've also read this regarding PSV Eindhoven too, and that this season he has sometimes been used as a CAM. Which is good to know...

I don’t think he’ll play as a winger. Think he’ll play centrally for now at least until Diaz gets back and we have to make a choice between him Nunes and Gakpo for 2 positions. I bet we have designs on making an attacking mid out of him. He seemed to play deep at times for Holland

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    I don’t think he’ll play as a winger. Think he’ll play centrally for now at least until Diaz gets back and we have to make a choice between him Nunes and Gakpo for 2 positions. I bet we have designs on making an attacking mid out of him. He seemed to play deep at times for Holland
    I mean, Wijnaldum was a forward for a time. Who knows.

Still think he'll be an attacker but let's see!