Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1013141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Cody Gakpo

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    How was our losing his fault? It was strolling pace for far too much of the game overplaying playing too slow & casual from start to finish, like we followed on from Sparta thinking we would stroll through it like that

I always think having a game like that Sparta one in which you can stroll & spend 80 plus minutes not getting out of 1st gear and still thrash the opposition are dangerous

Where & how Nunez & Elliott gave the ball away for their last 2 goals was absolutely criminal
    He doesn't have great footballing ability or intelligence. His first thought is always his can I be the hero. So he shoots from the moon, the toilet everywhere. He passes only when he can't shoot, makes slow and wrong decisions. Couldn't recognize that the pass was on to one of his 2 attackers preferably Nunez because he was ponderous and carrying it too long cause perhaps he was trying to hold it until he could shoot. He thrn played a bad pass to Elliot. He was sloppy on the ball, he carried no threat, has no pave, guile, finishing, link up play.

Where & how Nunez & Elliott gave the ball away for their last 2 goals was absolutely criminal
    That’s the only bit of sense posted about the game. Ironically.
    VOTE JOCKY tae fix this fiasco.

Small margins.

The mix-up between Elliott (wanting to blast it) and Endo (wanting to clear or keep possession) leads to their winning counter-attack.

In another World neither of them hesitates, the passage of play continues, we continue to bite our nails, penalties happen, Gakpo scores a winning pen and everyone makes jokes about a contract extension.

Today was awful and there were LOTS of individual errors and sloppy performances. We win together and we lose together - and we haven't been losing a whole lot.

Wallow in it for today but wake up tomorrow, dust it off and hopefully by the time the evening of March 31st comes around we have beaten Brighton and (right result permitting) are top of the League with 9 left to play and opportunities for individuals to redeem any indifferent patches or performances.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    He doesn't have great footballing ability or intelligence. His first thought is always his can I be the hero. So he shoots from the moon, the toilet everywhere. He passes only when he can't shoot, makes slow and wrong decisions. Couldn't recognize that the pass was on to one of his 2 attackers preferably Nunez because he was ponderous and carrying it too long cause perhaps he was trying to hold it until he could shoot. He thrn played a bad pass to Elliot. He was sloppy on the ball, he carried no threat, has no pave, guile, finishing, link up play.
    You could easily be describing Diaz in every game he plays, Elliott & Nunez at times Jota & Mo too

I’ve warned for a long time the overplaying has been severely blunting our once legendary ability on the counter, that we were forgetting how to take the shortest & right most direct path to goal with confidence & here we are

You could easily be describing Diaz in every game he plays, Elliott & Nunez at times Jota & Mo too

I’ve warned for a long time the overplaying has been severely blunting our once legendary ability on the counter, that we were forgetting how to take the shortest & right most direct path to goal with confidence & here we are
    Diaz I have my views. Elliot as well. Salah as well. Nunez as well. But the thread is about Gakpo. You may have seen on sone match threads I have tried to defend him and Elliot but in my heart if hearts I am convinced Gakpo is never going to be good enough. I am not seeing 1 strength of his that I can say right he can thrn improve on others. Nunez fir example pace and industry so the area he could eork on finishing, he is starting to chalk up/improve his finishing, also he has good passing range and vision that us why his assist are so good. Gakpo us selfish, slow in thought and pkay. I want him to work out but he gives me relegation/mid table level Dutch quality.

Agree. Quite a few instances today where could have made clear chances but it was over though,slowed down and just ponderous.
    We didn't work Onana as much as we should have considering the possession.

Done absolutely nothing when he came on, Its either up the middle or nowhere with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Done absolutely nothing when he came on, Its either up the middle or nowhere with him.
    When Gakpo first came he played kind of like a Bobby rype of roll, coming deep linking play and did lots of unselfish rings like how Bobby used to do. It seemed like he could be a straight Bobby swap. I think however he has regressed or as time has gone his ability or quality is showing. Also his greedy selfishness I feel is not helping him. He could be racking up assists and he would be appreciated but I feel he is so desperate to force his way in by scoring goals that often makes the wrong decision. He is tense when he plays. I think he should just be okay with scoring 8 or 10 and work for the team and when he hits a purple patch then all good. He should offer what is his game and not worry about Jota/Nunez/Diaz. He should try to get into the tram doing Cody Gakpo things but not he is just thinking about scoring and rifling things from verywhere. The counter today I can forgive him but I am not happy in how he just shoots aimlessly and thrn just looks away. As soon as he is around the box outside or inside no matter thr angle or proximity of defenders he wants to shoot. And if you watch closely some of his shots actually lead to counter attacks because of how high we are and involved in attack then a richochette leads to a counter cause the fullback was in space but he shoots instead of shifting the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Out the door back to holland would be the best.
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

I feel sorry for the lad. Seems like a really nice bloke and I hope he comes through this turgid spell.

I was shocked though that Klopp couldn't find anyone else to see out the last 13 minutes. The one player in our attack who looked out of his depth v a championship outfit at Anfield - chosen to play - and seemingly through the middle at Old Trafford with a 1 goal lead.

I am Klopps biggest fan but anyone who has seen Cody live in the last few months knows - he is the last resort right now. Doesn't hold it up - doesn't move into space and is dispossessed so so easily.

Confidence on the floor. Badly needs goals. Would play him in games that are comfortably won or ones we don't care about. Get his head out of wherever it is,
    Last edited by Steveo; 18th March 2024 at 12:22 PM.