Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Ahh - the days when a clear right hook - just about got you in the book

Two players were sent off in that game, iirc. Think it may have been Keegan and Bremner.
    Also, iirc, it was Brian Clough's first game in charge of "the damned United".
    Charity Shield - a friendly.
    There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief

Burnley and Sheff utd running away with it.

Just looking at the 24 clubs.

If I'm not mistaken only 5 never been in the Premier League.

Only 1 never been in the top flight.

(Off the top of my head)

Without looking at the league table ; can you name them... ?

7 in league 2 have been in the top flight.
    Interesting 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    7 in league 2 have been in the top flight.
    Interesting 🤣
    I occasionally keep an eye on whether a club from League One or League Two looks likely to get promoted as I think stories of clubs climbing are fascinating - especially back-to-back promotions.

Poor old Swindon Town won't see the Premier League for a long time!

Cardiff City tried to insure Sala for £20m the day after his death - court.
    Very sad story.

Rotherham btw.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    Burnley and Sheff utd running away with it.
    Both still look comfortable now we are in April.

Wonder who the 3rd side to join them will be?

Luton Town are up there - don't recall them ever having been in the League in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Both still look comfortable now we are in April.

Wonder who the 3rd side to join them will be?

Luton Town are up there - don't recall them ever having been in the League in my lifetime.
    Whats your age?
    They have been in the (old) first division.
    With a plastic pitch, if I recall correctly.
    (Without using Google)

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Whats your age?
    They have been in the (old) first division.
    With a plastic pitch, if I recall correctly.
    (Without using Google)
    I'm in my mid-30s, which (tangent coming, sorry!) I think probably shapes my perspective in certain discussions, particularly with regards to us and winning the major trophies. All of my League-following experience would be the Premier League era really and for my first few footballing years I would have been as invested in Serie A as Liverpool on account of my Italian-based Uncle regularly sending me knock-off kits and the odd footie mag - which would be in Italian so mainly it was the pics I studied.

For the vast majority of my Football-following existence the status quo was that Man United win the League most seasons (then Chelsea's money and Man City's even sillier money came along) and we won the Champion's League once prior to the Klopp era while I was alive.

I'd have been too young to remember/appreciate a League win as a child. So if we think of 29 of those seasons (in the context of the 30-year wait) and the two biggest trophies (League, Champion's League) then I saw us win one of the biggest in our 58 attempts (29 x 2) which was Istanbul - and someone very close to me had what I guess would be called a "cry for help" that night so my mind wasn't as fully invested in the football as it otherwise might have been.

So when people (I imagine 50+) say things like "we're Liverpool, we should be winning the League every season" for example, I admire and appreciate the sentiment but likely don't "get it" or buy into it in the same way as I have simply never experienced us being serial winners.

This probably contributes to my being relatively philosophical about our position during seasons when we aren't doing as well as I was always looking for things to enjoy in our play as my young Brain just assumed that Man United would (rather annoyingly) continue to win the League almost every year for an indefinite period. Whereas I imagine if folks grew up with Liverpool winning all the time it would breed a certain expectation, much like what Man United fans of my age group probably feel and hearing things like "we're Man United" from fans and "this is Man United" from Neville and Keane likely holds a mirror up to that in some way, albeit the fanbases have totally different mentalities.