Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Conceding goals.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Harvey is a easy target, but the biggest problem is the form of Virgil this season. We put it down to not getting injured for his last world cup. But let's be honest, he's been awful and can't seem to organise a back line.
    Not sure he can be blamed for any of the goals last night.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Harvey is a easy target, but the biggest problem is the form of Virgil this season. We put it down to not getting injured for his last world cup. But let's be honest, he's been awful and can't seem to organise a back line.
    I know he has a lot of credit in the bank but he has got away incredibly lightly for what he’s dished up performance wise this season. Needs a spell on the sidelines. Klopp needs to find a way of mitigating out obvious weaknesses until we can sort them. Change of personnel and system. Whatever. He’s shown little appetite to do it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Not sure he can be blamed for any of the goals last night.
    A couple of seasons ago attackers were scared of coming up against him, now they fancy their chances. Something has changed.

I imagine that injury from Prickford...

He has never got back close to the levels before that. He would have the odd game in 2019 and 2020 where he would be less than stellar but 8 or 9 games in 10 he would be imperious. We just don't see it, not even 1 or 2 games in 10 now. That mountain of solid rock at the back that marshalled everything in front of Alisson with such calm - has crumbled to a degree.

That's why the talk about midfield has - imo - been belated and right now is overblown. YES we are now desperate for new first team blood in there BUT we have needed that for years... as Virgil has lost his mojo it has become more apparent - that's all. As I said even with our midfield. from 2019-2020 - this squad in this season - isn't getting involved in a title challenge. Not a prayer. This team now is failing in almost every department of the pitch apart from in goal. I dread to think where we would be but for Alisson.

VVD was back to his best for 3/4 months at the end of last season. I just think his form is poor like most of the team. Because behind the scenes a lot is going on. The club is gonna be sold. And the owners want their cake and eat it.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

That does have an effect for sure. we can't ignore that - manager & players will have been aware of things going on. It's an awful situation of flux, the worst background to keep that focus. Look at Chelsea's form the minute they were forced to sell. But still don't think I have seen Virgil ever quite the same post Prickford.

Personally think some players in the team that have won everything don't have anywhere near as much motivation too

everything has gone stale, has been for a while replacing Mane with Nunez doesn't solve that

New midfield Konate + new CB in a season or so is the future

but yeah no chance
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Think Virgil has a long term chronic injury that he can often just play through. There was a moment last night towards the end of the first half when he had a race back to his own goal with one of their strikers,. He looked like he was going to get done, but then just managed a recovery on the six yard line. Shortly after that he had to go off.
    He never used to get done for pace by anyone. I remember how he dealt with Adama Traore back in the day, when every defender was terrified of him.
    With regard to Harvey..think he was always seen as a sub for Mo salah. Right side attacking player cutting in on his left foot.That position gives him time and space to use his skills. But in midfield he just gets overloaded.
    Last edited by faridtoxteth; 3rd January 2023 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    Think Virgil has a long term chronic injury that he can often just play through. There was a moment last night towards the end of the second half when he had a race back to his own goal with one of their strikers,. He looked like he was going to get done, but then just managed a recovery on the six yard line. Shortly after that he had to go off.
    He never used to get done for pace by anyone. I remember how he dealt with Adama Traore back in the day, when every defender was terrified of him.
    With regard to Harvey..think he was always seen as a sub for Mo salah. Right side attacking player cutting in on his left foot.That position gives him time and space to use his skills. But in midfield he just gets overloaded.
    End of the second half ?
    VVD off at HT hamstring issue.
    “We have to change, from doubters to believers—now.”

Yeah I meant first half. Shall I edit it?
    But do you remember that moment in the game?