Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Gap to European qualification spots.

Man United remain quite far off - win our game in hand and we would still be 8 points behind.

Newcastle are closer - win our game in hand and we would be just 3 points behind.

Tottenham are a little closer - win our game in hand and we would be just 1 point behind.

Getting 6-of-6 points against Newcastle could end up being pivotal come the end of the season.

A long, long road ahead with twists and turns still. 16 League games left and at least two Champion's League matches.

Within 6 days we have gone from being 12 points off Newcastle to being 6 points off. Worth mentioning that their next (League) match is Man City, so we will have to handle our own affairs and hope we can gain further ground to reign them in.

We need to keep winning games. Two matches on the spin is good, but we need far more. If we can take 9 points or so from our next 4 matches (and thus be within touching distance with 12 games left) I think we will kick on, though we cannot assume that we will do it.

Focus on catching Utd, this current slump Newcastle are in, will do for them.

Bookies now have us favourites to finish 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    I hope we can. Without "tainting" the 6pts picked up against Everton and Newcastle - we still look far too open and easy to play through.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Well we have the 20/21 run under our belt and the clubs we're gaining on aren't used to Champions League qualification besides Spurs.

Still think we need 9 points or so from our next 4 League games. Do that and we should have Diaz back (touch wood) with Jota and Firmino fitter, Gakpo better integrated etc

I would be pretty confident in such circumstances but no guarantees. Newcastle were unable to pull away at a key time and will likely regret that in May.

I personally think it's optimistic and I'm not thinking that yet. Next 4 games will be a fair indicator I'd say.
    Palace and Utd will be very tough but the way we are you'd also think the same about Bournemouth and Wolves.
    If we come out of that spell with 12 points then we've got a chance, we really need to go on a good run.

If the defense can sort itself out over the next few games (it won't) we could go on a good run and get 4th. Will definitely need to beat united though (we won't)

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    If the defense can sort itself out over the next few games (it won't) we could go on a good run and get 4th. Will definitely need to beat united though (we won't)
    I think we'll beat them. It's at Anfield, we usually rise to the occasion for the big ones

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I personally think it's optimistic and I'm not thinking that yet. Next 4 games will be a fair indicator I'd say.
    Palace and Utd will be very tough but the way we are you'd also think the same about Bournemouth and Wolves.
    If we come out of that spell with 12 points then we've got a chance, we really need to go on a good run.
    I think 9 will be enough to ensure we are either 4th or within 1-3 points of 4th by the end of that spell.

If that occurs then I think muscle memory will get it over the line.

Tottenham currently the side to chase if Newcastle's slump continues - we would need to win both our games in hand to make it a 3-point gap.

Notably their remaining fixtures look easier than ours and they have won 4 of their last 5 League matches, losing the other. We have won two, drawn two and lost one.

Still stand by the 9-from-12 theory regarding Palace/Wolves/Man United/Bournemouth - the failure to get 3 points against Palace has heaped the pressure on.