Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Gap to European qualification spots.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    To be honest.
    Does this team deserve to be in the top 4 ?
    Not really, does it.
    Hugely inconsistent.
    And very poor midfield
    Defence exposed as average.
    The team in 3rd lost 7-0 and 6-3 to their supposed rivals. They are not that good. Just sneaked or eeked more win, 2 more as things stand from the team in 5th. So the difference is 2 wins or 3 draws or 2 defeats depends how one argues it.

The imbalance of the top European leagues having 4 teams straight into group stage and not playing each other until QF create perhaps the illusion that 4th maybe even 3rd best teams in those countries had good seasons or that 4th is superior to 5-8.

We have been spoilt with 3, 90+ seasons so that makes us feel unworthy of sneaking into CL with low 70. Well that is the total to getv4th then we're were good enough.

CL should just be top 2 teams and give other nations chance so that we can have a Red Star in thr final or something like that. Money is really killing football anyaway wrong place.

I don't agree.
    Already at international level you have Luxembourg, Andorra etc playing , and the disparity is huge.

Unfortunately the money a long time ago took away the power from Eastern European football teams.

Those days a long gone.

Modern 'fans' want to see Real Madrid Barcelona PSG and the EPL teams .

7 points to CL with 2 games in hand.
    5 points to Newcastle same games.

Next 3 games ;
    Man city Chelsea Arsenal

Could be more or less all over after there 3 games for CL qualification.

We have to win all 3
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    We have to win all 3
    I can understand how it might feel that way, but Champion's League qualification is often a messy, messy business with a lot of dropped points.

We could get 7 points say (2 wins and a draw) while Newcastle get 4 points (1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss) and we would be 2 points behind with 9 games still remaining.

I do think we probably need to get more points from the next 3 than Newcastle do - it's more difficult with Tottenham as we have games in hand.

Newcastle and Tottenham will also play each other before it's all over and if I remember correctly (would need to check) I think both have to play Brighton yet as well - who are still very much in it.

Also have a feeling one of the sides (possibly Newcastle) will play Chelsea on the last day.

If we get a reasonable tally from the next 3 games (5 points or more from the 9 available say) and Newcastle+Tottenham botch a result or two then it might go right down to the wire.

I won't be massively surprised if Champion's League qualification goes down to the Final day - just not sure if we'll be there. Think we have dropped too many points but won't give up until it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I can understand how it might feel that way, but Champion's League qualification is often a messy, messy business with a lot of dropped points.

We could get 7 points say (2 wins and a draw) while Newcastle get 4 points (1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss) and we would be 2 points behind with 9 games still remaining.

I do think we probably need to get more points from the next 3 than Newcastle do - it's more difficult with Tottenham as we have games in hand.

Newcastle and Tottenham will also play each other before it's all over and if I remember correctly (would need to check) I think both have to play Brighton yet as well - who are still very much in it.

Also have a feeling one of the sides (possibly Newcastle) will play Chelsea on the last day.

If we get a reasonable tally from the next 3 games (5 points or more from the 9 available say) and Newcastle+Tottenham botch a result or two then it might go right down to the wire.

I won't be massively surprised if Champion's League qualification goes down to the Final day - just not sure if we'll be there. Think we have dropped too many points but won't give up until it's gone.
    Yes take one game at a time. A stumbling first step is omni-present, much like candy.

Quote Originally Posted by dicko1969 View Post
    7 points to CL with 2 games in hand.
    5 points to Newcastle same games.

Next 3 games ;
    Man city Chelsea Arsenal

Could be more or less all over after there 3 games for CL qualification.
    Think working out roughly what it would take in terms of points and setting relevant targets is the best way to approach it mentally. There are always interpretations as we go along - "that's the result that has finished us off" and "that win has given us a chance" - I always try to look at the numbers - not always easy mind you!

I'd guesstimate that 69 points will squeak 4th-spot this season and that 5th/6th will run it very close - could be something like 68 points and 66 points for example - it will be congested around there.

If 69 points is the target and we have 42 points on the board with 12 games remaining then we are looking at getting 9 wins from the upcoming 12 matches to get the 27 points that will (hopefully!) see us over the line and realistically one of those 9 wins would have to come against Tottenham to help deprive them of 3 of the 20 points they would need.

Needless to say it's looking a massive ask to have a 75% win ratio for the remainder of the season to get 9-of-12 on the board.

Think we're all hoping for similar finish to the 20/21 season.

9 wins from 12 seems unlikely.

By the end of next week, there's half a chance it could be 9 from 9...

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    By the end of next week, there's half a chance it could be 9 from 9...
    Let's hope not.

Gut says we get a win, a draw and a loss from the following 3 matches but we'll find out.

I don't see us pulling off a miracle this season, Jurgen's been too inconsistent in his line ups and done so many things that made no sense whatsoever, in his line ups, chopping and changing of formation, trying to adopt a long since outdated designated playmaker, his subs and his overall loose cannon scatter gun approach and ditching of things that worked brilliantly for us is how we've ended up in this mess and I don't see him getting us out of it, I really hope I'm wrong, I really do, I desperately want to be proved wrong on this, I hope he can pick consistent line ups of our best players and ditch this nonsense of playing Elliott every game from now until the season ends and our lads with the experience of pulling him out of the shit can do so again
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”