Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Gap to European qualification spots.

Henderson
    Fabinho
    Milner

is our best midfield line-up going forward.
    If they are available..
    (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Henderson
    Fabinho
    Milner

is our best midfield line-up going forward.
    If they are available.
    (IMO)
    Agreed but this is a sad indictment of our recruiting that this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    I don't see us pulling off a miracle this season
    Nor me, but will of course be watching with crossed fingers.

We haven't had enough matches this season where we have been up against it and turned things around, so that level of self-belief ("we'll get the goal we need!") is unlikely to be at the forefront of the minds of this group of players when things aren't going well.

Really need quite a major jolt so as not to flat-line. If we did something like win 2 of the next 3 games with one of those 2 games being a dramatic late winner (let's say a loss to Man City, beat Chelsea, win 2-1 against Arsenal with our second goal coming in the 93rd minute as an example) then we might be appropriately re-energised but I'm not seeing it just now.

Sides around us WILL be dropping points so hopefully the players don't give up until it's mathematically impossible.

I too don't see any miracles. I won't be shocked to see us take 6 points or more from the next three games though, it's not the big games we have much of a problem with.
    It's going to be a bitter pill not being in the CL but hopefully we can use it to our advantage next season. The Europa should be used to give younger players experience but it won't be that way, we'll try to get as far as we can I'd think.
    Personally wouldn't be arsed if we didn't make it for that and that's a sad indictment of what football has become

One small detail…

They aren’t really miracles if they are expected.

It is a very long shot now, we all know it and feel it. The only surprise for me was last season. I still don’t know how we managed that. Sadly it has cost us more than many could have imagined,
    Last edited by Steveo; 31st March 2023 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    I too don't see any miracles. I won't be shocked to see us take 6 points or more from the next three games though, it's not the big games we have much of a problem with.
    Despite how massively underwhelming we have been against "the rest" this year, I would back us to improve in the final stretch IF (if if if if if!!!!) we did get 6 points or so from the next 3 matches.

The remaining 9 games would all be played under the heat of a highly pressurised "if we don't win this, we aren't in the Champion's League next year" situation and I think (hope!) the lads would respond accordingly as we get closer to the finishing line.

I imagine that at the end of the season we will mostly point at the large collection of points we missed out on prior to April as being a failure, rather than dwelling on a likely already-Doomed run-in.

I do hope we win those 6 points. I'll stick to my guesstimate that 69 points will (just about!) be enough and if we did win 2-from-3 then we would need 7 wins from the 9 left, which, whilst incredibly difficult, would not be impossible.

Losing the next 3 and leaving ourselves needing 9 wins from 9 games though - no chance.

Only scored 47 goals in 26 games this season. 16 of those came in 2 home matches, so 31 from the other 24. Averaging just over 1 per game,and in so many of those going behind. Is it chance conversion thats poor or chance creation? Plus only 1 pen awarded i think (and then missed!)

Quote Originally Posted by sydenham red View Post
    Only scored 47 goals in 26 games this season. 16 of those came in 2 home matches, so 31 from the other 24. Averaging just over 1 per game,and in so many of those going behind.
    Yeah that doesn't make for great reading it must be said.

It's such a shame we can't get ourselves together, really is. So many points will be dropped by sides around us. Tottenham alone still have to play Newcastle, Brentford, Brighton and ourselves so the jostling for positions is going to be mad - we sadly just aren't good enough/consistent enough to capitalise on these opportunities at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sydenham red View Post
    Only scored 47 goals in 26 games this season. 16 of those came in 2 home matches, so 31 from the other 24. Averaging just over 1 per game,and in so many of those going behind. Is it chance conversion thats poor or chance creation? Plus only 1 pen awarded i think (and then missed!)
    We have looked utterly toothless all season bar 3 or 4 games where we scored a hatful.

Let’s be honest, it was never going to be easy to deal with losing Mané or Mo… but it’s the loss of Bobby too.. Too much change in that crucial zone… Effectively our front 3 is down to 1. Nunez is as raw as they come. Jota has not looked the same for over a year and Diaz - Superb in his first stint has been on the treatment table too.

So much stemmed from the fear we could engender in the opposition via our ability to rip teams to shreds. We see it return in glimpses when we get 3 or more goals ahead - then it’s easy again for the remainder of that game. But with each game it just gets further away and harder to replicate.

We have been living on reputation alone this season. Now that has gone, we could plummet.

Top 4 not going to happen.
    Can't remember how badly we were in 2021.

But this feels very different.
    The team is lame.
    Tame.
    Feeling sorry for itself.

Too many ket areas , aged, and dinterested, and not hungry.

Age, high wages, won everything, just disinterested.