Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fa cup 27th-30th jan

Fa cup 27th-30th jan

Watching city v arsenal here an I’m struck by how little explosiveness city have. They still have class players that play good football but I can’t help feeling they are in decline like us, though not as severe. Arsenal do look like they can stay at the top this reason and seem to have more to spend. They need a serious striker and options in midfield but they have a nice nucleus of players. Hopefully they equalise and drag city through a replay.

City never look convincing against a good technical team that will try to play football against them. That is why we have been considered a bit of a bogey team for them in recent years, and probably why they have struggled in Europe.
    Thought arsenal looked better tonight.
    Maybe City have the same problem we have with mental fatigue. De Bruyne looks to have gone past his peak, although he can still have brilliant moments. But we saw him complaining at the world cup that he was beginning to feel too old.

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    City never look convincing against a good technical team that will try to play football against them. That is why we have been considered a bit of a bogey team for them in recent years, and probably why they have struggled in Europe.
    Thought arsenal looked better tonight.
    Maybe City have the same problem we have with mental fatigue. De Bruyne looks to have gone past his peak, although he can still have brilliant moments. But we saw him complaining at the world cup that he was beginning to feel too old.
    One thing that bothers me about city is they seem to be bringing through a couple of good youngsters. I’d be hoping given the squad they have and money they have that at least we could usurp them in that regard but we really are misfiring in that regard too. Hopefully Bajectic can be a mainstay going forward but we have really dropped off in recent years in this regard imho. We can’t produce a de ent attacker at all seemingly.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    Watching city v arsenal here an I’m struck by how little explosiveness city have. They still have class players that play good football but I can’t help feeling they are in decline like us, though not as severe.
    I don't watch them closely, preferring to avoid witnessing what always feels like an inevitable win for Pep's Decepticons - but I would imagine Haaland's goals are masking a lot of issues and that their 2nd/3rd highest scorers don't have high totals.

Would imagine it isn't necessarily a decline as such, but moreso the long fixture list last year, particularly when including internationals. I think ourselves, Man City and West Ham had some of the highest numbers of fixtures for individual players and quelle surprise all 3 sides aren't looking quite right.

Certainly not researching it in detail this evening though as I have a boat trip tomorrow, but just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    One thing that bothers me about city is they seem to be bringing through a couple of good youngsters. I’d be hoping given the squad they have and money they have that at least we could usurp them in that regard but we really are misfiring in that regard too. Hopefully Bajectic can be a mainstay going forward but we have really dropped off in recent years in this regard imho. We can’t produce a de ent attacker at all seemingly.
    That Rico Lewis looks like a great player at just 18. Very tenacious and comfortable on the ball in a midfield full of chaos. Don't know much about him, he might be a bellend, or maybe he is a good guy. City seem to have an above average number of utter dicks in their squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I don't watch them closely, preferring to avoid witnessing what always feels like an inevitable win for Pep's Decepticons - but I would imagine Haaland's goals are masking a lot of issues and that their 2nd/3rd highest scorers don't have high totals.

Would imagine it isn't necessarily a decline as such, but moreso the long fixture list last year, particularly when including internationals. I think ourselves, Man City and West Ham had some of the highest numbers of fixtures for individual players and quelle surprise all 3 sides aren't looking quite right.

Certainly not researching it in detail this evening though as I have a boat trip tomorrow, but just a thought.
    I’m gonna be honest here and most will laugh at me for this opinion but I think Haaland overall has been a negative on their football.
    Laugh away😂😂

I understand what you are getting at. He is a big beast rather than a very technical player. He scores a lot of goals but maybe they have changed their way of playing to accommodate him. Longer balls. Less tippy tappy possession. So in a way maybe that makes them easier to play against. Any top quality striker would score goals in that team, because of the amount of chances they create. Imagine if Harry Kane had gone there. He would have scored tons of goals, and actually might suit their style better. And he is techncally a better player than Haaland. (Although i don't like either of them)

Quote Originally Posted by faridtoxteth View Post
    I understand what you are getting at. He is a big beast rather than a very technical player. He scores a lot of goals but maybe they have changed their way of playing to accommodate him. Longer balls. Less tippy tappy possession. So in a way maybe that makes them easier to play against. Any top quality striker would score goals in that team, because of the amount of chances they create. Imagine if Harry Kane had gone there. He would have scored tons of goals, and actually might suit their style better. And he is techncally a better player than Haaland. (Although i don't like either of them)
    They’re not getting to create their overloads on either side nearly as much because he stays central all the time. I mean look at how peps way of using small half forward style players made Sterling look so good. He’s stank at Chelsea so far. Tbh I think pep is a great manager. He really rose to the challenge of klopp and I reckon is missing some motivation this year cos we aren’t challenging. I actually can’t stand arteta. But he seems to have Arsenal highly motivated this year. They’d have won with their first 11 imo.

Tyler Morton with an assist as Blackburn come from behind to lead Birmingham 2-1

He got one last week too I think.