Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Henderson

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    For that to be a useful stat you need to put it in context. How many minutes could he have played and how does it compare to the rest of the team.
    Not sure I follow, correct me if I am way off - you want me to work out how many minutes all 25 of our lads could have played this season and cross reference it against their form and/or performance levels?

I don't see the merit of that to be honest. I think two important (and linked) contextual factors, if you want to look at context, would be his age and who we might be bringing in for the midfield - I would always lean towards rotation where possible (particularly of older players) and would always look to the future, ie we shouldn't want/need/aspire towards starting a 32(?)-year old mid match after match after match.

As an aside, age doesn't always tell the story. Casemiro is older than Fabinho but has played 21,000 or so career minutes to Fabinho's 27,000 or so, which could suggest some of Fab's apparent burnout. Think of lads like Rooney for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Not sure I follow, correct me if I am way off - you want me to work out how many minutes all 25 of our lads could have played this season and cross reference it against their form and/or performance levels?
    You told us Henderson played 1900 minutes. How do we know if that's good or bad? For it to be useful you need to compare it with total number of minutes available so far to him (and therefore eveyone else) and also how many of those total minutes other players have played. Form and performance levels don't matter for this particular stat.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    You told us Henderson played 1900 minutes. How do we know if that's good or bad? For it to be useful you need to compare it with total number of minutes available so far to him (and therefore eveyone else) and also how many of those total minutes other players have played. Form and performance levels don't matter for this particular stat.
    Cheers for the clarification.

I'd need to sit and go through the appearance numbers etc and they don't necessarily show whether an "appearance" was a start or from the bench. But I can see what I can dig out at some stage - easier done from a PC than phone.

He played a ridiculous amount of minutes last season (something like 3800, really mad) a d I think that extent of accumulative wear and tear naturally leads to wanting to manage someone's minutes to me.

He was given 30 minutes today to turn things around. In seasons past he would've especially against a team bottom of the league. Either keep him as a squad player or move him on.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    He was given 30 minutes today to turn things around. In seasons past he would've especially against a team bottom of the league. Either keep him as a squad player or move him on.
    I think he will be kept, 100% - he'll just be gradually getting less minutes akin to Milner.

If Keita and Ox were trusted and the youngsters further in their development he would probably have already played less minutes.

Next step is to get two mids in (some want three etc, no issue with those opinions even if I disagree) that can take the Lion's Share of midfield minutes so that we can use Hendo more sparingly and plan for the future.

He probably starts 30+ of the League games this season by the time we're done - whereas next season it should probably be closer to 19-24 while the incoming lads get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I think he will be kept, 100% - he'll just be gradually getting less minutes akin to Milner.

If Keita and Ox were trusted and the youngsters further in their development he would probably have already played less minutes.

Next step is to get two mids in (some want three etc, no issue with those opinions even if I disagree) that can take the Lion's Share of midfield minutes so that we can use Hendo more sparingly and plan for the future.

He probably starts 30+ of the League games this season by the time we're done - whereas next season it should probably be closer to 19-24 while the incoming lads get the chance.
    Yeah, I'd go with that as well mate.

We have to find someone better than him first, he was our best midfielder v the filthy and our best today even though not especially great, he at least managed to release Milner to cross for Jota's header that won the pen, which is more than our other midfielders managed, and provide some cover and assistance for our defence, which is also more than any of our other midfielders managed

One of the reasons I really want to see Hendo at No6 with Bajcetic at LCM is for Hendo to help him get into and educate him as to the requirements of the LCM controller role, because the lad was simply woeful again today, he did absolutely nothing all game and only Fab was worse and he needs some help and by continuing to play him alongside no hopers like Fab, Jurgen is doing the lad no favours whatsoever

This is the issue with limiting Hendo's minutes, we need to do it, but currently, he's still our best midfielder, none of them play well in my opinion when we try and pretend we're a possession football team, all their positioning is woeful and they let teams play through us and counter us far too easily
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Spam is good for you.

No, no it really isn’t.

When he doesn't play we suffer