Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: PL Games 17-19th March

Im not sticking up for Man-united.. horrible shits.. but kavanagh is obviously a Man-city fan. how he didnt see the handball to begin with was ridiculous and secondly he was the twat that denied Everton a clear penalty for handball. he was looking at it in the VAR box. thirdly he managed to see a penalty against Trent from 30 yards away. Got it wrong went to check the screen after he was told too. and still didnt over turn his decision.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Didn't want to open a thread, nor is it dig at them, but it sprang to mind as a result of the weekend El Clasico.

Real Madrid. They won La Liga in 88/89 and again in 89/90 - well, think they had won it in 86/87 and 87/88 as well but you'll all see where I am going with in a sec.

They won it La Liga 06/07 and 07/08 as well.

Now. They have won La Liga LOADS of times of course, but considering that (most years) their only "real" competition is Barcelona, I am a little bit surprised to see they have only had a successful title defence ONCE in the last 33 years.

Just seems a little mad to me that a side that can win the Champion's League 3 seasons running struggles more often than not to defend their League title.

One of those weird little anomalies - and particularly weird to me given their rampant success.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Didn't want to open a thread, nor is it dig at them, but it sprang to mind as a result of the weekend El Clasico.

Real Madrid. They won La Liga in 88/89 and again in 89/90 - well, think they had won it in 86/87 and 87/88 as well but you'll all see where I am going with in a sec.

Now. They have won La Liga LOADS of times of course, but considering that (most years) their only "real" competition is Barcelona, I am a little bit surprised to see they have only had a successful title defence ONCE in the last 33 years.

Just seems a little mad to me that a side that can win the Champion's League 3 seasons running struggles more often than not to defend their League title.

One of those weird little anomalies - and particularly weird to me given their rampant success.
    They went an age without winning the European cup too before the 2000s.
    I think La Liga is a non event for them, all they care about is the CL and they have an unassailable lead over everyone anyway.
    Last edited by teesred; 20th March 2023 at 06:12 PM.

hmmm...Or maybe the other great club in Spain - Barcelona - have just shown why nobody needs to be concerned for their wellbeing.

It's a much higher quality game over there. Real Schooling us is no barometer of their ability vs opposition that is technically superb
    Last edited by Steveo; 20th March 2023 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    hmmm...Or maybe the other great club in Spain - Barcelona - have just shown why nobody needs to be concerned for their wellbeing.
    I still think all the "economic levers" nonsense could come back to haunt them long-term but we aren't going to know for some time yet - could be 5 years, could be 10.

State ownership could get them out of any further trouble at a later stage I suppose. Time will tell.

I still think all the "economic levers" nonsense could come back to haunt them long-term but we aren't going to know for some time yet - could be 5 years, could be 10.

State ownership could get them out of any further trouble at a later stage I suppose. Time will tell.
    They have an ocean of a following. They can turn a profit with relative ease on that basis alone. Obviously it can have ramifications in the shorter term, but I just don't see them struggling anything like as much as we will.

We are headed for lock out.

It is interesting. 5 CL wins and 4 league titles in the last 9 years. Maybe they prioritised the CL? The clear star that is yesterday slips on a banana peel.

Fyffes UEFA Champions League

[IMG][/IMG]

Oh that BotStrap is a right skin sometimes 😂