Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: PL Games 17-19th March

Puts me in mind of that (alleged) childrens TV presenter, peeling a banana on air...
    One skin
    Two skins
    Three skins
    Four skins

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Puts me in mind of that (alleged) childrens TV presenter, peeling a banana on air...
    One skin
    Two skins
    Three skins
    Four skins
    Was that not Zippee/Zippy in Rainbow? Think there was a pay dispute for the presenters so they wrote an on-the-knuckle episode but I could be misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    Hahaha

Skinning? 10 minutes of a player doing the impossible. And it just gets better and better.

in all 5 away games v Spanish opposition under Klopp - we have scored…. 1 goal - Mo Salah in the Bernabeu, 2020 in a 3:1 loss.

This includes games away at Villarreal, and Atletico.

If we add up all 8 games we have played v Spanish opponents outside Anfield - we have scored 3 goals. the other 2 coming via Sturridge v Sevilla in a 3:1 loss and Mané v Real in a 3:1 loss
    Last edited by Steveo; 21st March 2023 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Skinning? 10 minutes of a player doing the impossible. And it just gets better and better.

Stats is the order of the day, but I believe in aesthetics. Modern football is geared towards the attacker, we are basically in a "no tackle" era.

But in my view Maradona and Zidane are the best players ever, Messi is the only player on that level, technical and aesthetically. Cruyff I am too young to have seen him but in old footage, I have seen he was the business as well. Doesn't matter if someone scores 1 000 000 goals now, if these players played in these conditions they would also break records.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post

difference here is.....Every time they try to hack him down he just steams through the foul... today they just go down. I guess he knew when to cheat and when not to...lol

Quote Originally Posted by shminkyred View Post
    difference here is.....Every time they try to hack him down he just steams through the foul... today they just go down. I guess he knew when to cheat and when not to...lol
    Yes, but you might be missing the point. He was so often unstoppable - in an era when you could chop and hack and chop and hack.

take the England game you reference. in the modern game - there are a good 3 red cards before Diego uses his hand. he was literally being assaulted on the pitch. and then he scored the goal of the century.

Messi isn’t making many of those runs. In todays game this player - who was unstoppable even then - without the sickening tackles - is simply unstoppable full stop.

a one off. nobody even close
    Last edited by Steveo; 22nd March 2023 at 09:15 AM.

Absolutely, best player ever to lace up a pair of boots.

Speaking of Messi, always found it mad how similar his goal against Getafe was to Maradona's absolute classic.