Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool set sights on Mount

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Time will tell on that one. To be fair the club had to act to prevent the front line running up too many miles and going stale, mirroring the middle.

Let’s say we don’t buy Nunez and used that cash to buy a top class mid or even 2 very capable ones. Does that mean we are better placed now? Quite possibly.

I believe the club has access to the finer details on the stats and they seem to have been most occupied with ensuring the front line is in the best shape it can be at the detriment to other areas.

I have suggested before, that the front line was the catalyst for everything Klopp set in motion. Coutinho - Firmino - Mané - Salah. The Fab 4..

That was when people started to take notice. Ok we had a shyte back line and joke keepers BUT that devastating threat was there. Possibly this is the thinking. To get that back.

not easy
    100%

It's certainly a juggling act.

To me it all changed when we brought VVD in. We had that frightening attack a few seasons before him but we really kicked into gear when he and Alisson were brought. To me they were the game changers.

The 4-1 defeat at Spurs was the absolute turning point. We were/are a different animal after that game.

I can see why both Gakpo and Nunez were brought in but we could have used that £80m for Nunez to bring Bellingham in and retained Origi. To me the money hasn't been effectively used.

The Coutinho money was. VVD, Ali and Fab...
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by eggy81 View Post
    We’ve gone from wanting Tchoumeni and him only to waiting for Bellingham to mason mount sid. The excuse for signing no one after failing with Tchoumeni was we only sign the players we really want. Imo we could have signed mount at any time we wanted over the last few years but his value is low enough now that we’ll go for it. It’s a money ball signing again which rather than expecting to work we are hoping it works. It most likely won’t.
    Paul Gorst who writes for the Echo has said fans have every right to be questioning things.
    They're just full of shit, they've got pretty much no credit in the bank anyway with most fans but to make the club look completely laughable again will be the final straw for most.
    They're not in this to win it and this was a chance to show they are. For that they need to just fuck right off. I'm fed up of "business models' when we are in the top three earning clubs in the world. Just ditch it for once to bring in the player everybody wants.

Klopp has been had like all of us and it may very well lead to him bring sacked which is something they won't hesitate with if the shits hit the fan in the first few months of next season.

Well the way it looks is we most of the time shop at Aldi and sometimes we get that bargain but mostly in this world and in any walk of life you get what you pay for, yes sometimes you can buy that expensive item and it's not worth it but we can't keep throwing darts at the board and somehow we hit the bullseye. I want FSG out of our club and hopefully, it will happen because if it doesn't we're in big big trouble.

Some reports saying he wanted the move and it's there to be done but poor Liverpool couldn't afford him because the big baddies City and Real have driven the price up.
    That couldn't sum up FSG any better. Naivety in pure form. Like they thought they'd get a free run at him and have no obstacles at all.
    Henry probably said "Hey Jurgen maybe with you being an ex employee we might get some discount?"

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    100%

It's certainly a juggling act.

To me it all changed when we brought VVD in. We had that frightening attack a few seasons before him but we really kicked into gear when he and Alisson were brought. To me they were the game changers.

The 4-1 defeat at Spurs was the absolute turning point. We were/are a different animal after that game.

I can see why both Gakpo and Nunez were brought in but we could have used that £80m for Nunez to bring Bellingham in and retained Origi. To me the money hasn't been effectively used.

The Coutinho money was. VVD, Ali and Fab...

I think the club would have a very hard job arguing this point. All the experts and their big salaries would tie themselves in knots trying. Be a fun watch.. Ultimately.. it should have been like this. Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing.. but I think we all know this would have given us a far bigger chance to at least make Champions league football a reality next season.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Some reports saying he wanted the move and it's there to be done but poor Liverpool couldn't afford him because the big baddies City and Real have driven the price up.
    That couldn't sum up FSG any better. Naivety in pure form. Like they thought they'd get a free run at him and have no obstacles at all.
    Henry probably said "Hey Jurgen maybe with you being an ex employee we might get some discount?"
    Where's the limit? At what point does the fee become to much?

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Where's the limit? At what point does the fee become to much?
    It's not the issue here.
    The issue is how they have had everyone over. Our season has gone to shit on the back of this and that is without question.
    The issue is for me that they have made the club and Klopp look utterly ridiculous. We are a laughing stock and to blame City and Real for hiking up the price, Jesus man.
    There's a naivety about it all. They must be the only ones who didn't think BvB were going to utterly rinse the club that gets him. They're famous for it and I don't blame them at all.

I've said for months now that they simply had to sign him because they made it so public that he was the target, the one the sacrifices have been made for and to back out is damaging. It makes us look weak. We've missed out on CL football for nothing and that is having a big effect now but the fact he wants the move even though we aren't in it and they're still walking away is unforgiving for me.
    Klopp was all cocky in the summer about our midfield and it's now made him look a plum.

I don't expect them to do this often but just this once I'd like them to go all out for the player the fans want. The club's not going to go bust over it.
    Imagine the optimism from that? Whereas now it's the opposite.
    I get the rational thinking over getting three players over one, it's sensible but that's not the issue for me.
    Last edited by teesred; 12th April 2023 at 11:05 AM.

Saying all that I'm still hopeful it'll get done.

Weren't we close to new investment according to media sources last week?

Did that fall through?

It's all a mess. But as some have pointed out. If we sign three midfielders - let's say Tielmans, Mount and Nunes (or Madison)- surely that's going to improve the midfield. Does it makes us contenders again? Probably not. Would Bellingham have done that on his own? Probably not
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    It's not the issue here.
    The issue is how they have had everyone over. Our season has gone to shit on the back of this and that is without question.
    The issue is for me that they have made the club and Klopp look utterly ridiculous. We are a laughing stock and to blame City and Real for hiking up the price, Jesus man.
    There's a naivety about it all. They must be the only ones who didn't think BvB were going to utterly rinse the club that gets him. They're famous for it and I don't blame them at all.

I've said for months now that they simply had to sign him because they made it so public that he was the target, the one the sacrifices have been made for and to back out is damaging. It makes us look weak. We've missed out on CL football for nothing and that is having a big effect now but the fact he wants the move even though we aren't in it and they're still walking away is unforgiving for me.
    Klopp was all cocky in the summer about our midfield and it's now made him look a plum.

I don't expect them to do this often but just this once I'd like them to go all out for the player the fans want. The club's not going to go bust over it.
    Imagine the optimism from that? Whereas now it's the opposite.
    I get the rational thinking over getting three players over one, it's sensible but that's not the issue for me.
    No, I get it from a fans view and it's not just about bringing in 3 players for the same money.

If JB is the main target and we're willign to spend big then, I'm ok with that, but there has to be a limit as to what we're willing to pay. If City offer £150m and Real come in and offer £180m are you genuinely expecting the club to come in and say 'fuck it - £200m!'?

Dont get me wrong, i'll be as pissed as everyone if he rolls up at any other club for £80m.