Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool set sights on Mount

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I think the club would have a very hard job arguing this point. All the experts and their big salaries would tie themselves in knots trying. Be a fun watch.. Ultimately.. it should have been like this. Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing.. but I think we all know this would have given us a far bigger chance to at least make Champions league football a reality next season.
    Agree with this but BVB weren't prepared to sell Bellingham at that point. I thought was it was Tchoumeni then a bid for Bellingham in January or the summer window. Even then looking at the fees involved, it seems like this was spin. I'm not sure why we signed Nunez. I like him as a player but he didn't really fit the model. Whereas Diaz and Gakpo do..
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    No, I get it from a fans view and it's not just about bringing in 3 players for the same money.

If JB is the main target and we're willign to spend big then, I'm ok with that, but there has to be a limit as to what we're willing to pay. If City offer £150m and Real come in and offer £180m are you genuinely expecting the club to come in and say 'fuck it - £200m!'?

Dont get me wrong, i'll be as pissed as everyone if he rolls up at any other club for £80m.
    Imagine him going to man Utd. What a sickener that will be.

I'm not expecting 200m no but I'm also not buying that they didn't know how much he'd be. They could have shut all this down long ago if that was the case.
    That's why I'm still hopeful. why walk away?
    The press were all briefed the same thing at the same time. It has a "staged" element to it.

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    Weren't we close to new investment according to media sources last week?

Did that fall through?

It's all a mess. But as some have pointed out. If we sign three midfielders - let's say Tielmans, Mount and Nunes (or Madison)- surely that's going to improve the midfield. Does it makes us contenders again? Probably not. Would Bellingham have done that on his own? Probably not
    It was Pearce who mentioned the investment at the weekend.

Weren't we close to new investment according to media sources last week?

Did that fall through?

It's all a mess. But as some have pointed out. If we sign three midfielders - let's say Tielmans, Mount and Nunes (or Madison)- surely that's going to improve the midfield. Does it makes us contenders again? Probably not. Would Bellingham have done that on his own? Probably not
    I would say bringing in 3 very good midfielders would certainly get us up and running again. As good as Bellingham his him on his own wouldn't. In the same way Gerrard couldn't.

Cos, if we have the same situation as this season and Bellingham gets injured, we'll be stuffed.

If we bring 3 in and a couple get injured, we'll certainly be hampered but no where near as badly as we have been this season.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    It's not the issue here.
    The issue is how they have had everyone over. Our season has gone to shit on the back of this and that is without question.
    The issue is for me that they have made the club and Klopp look utterly ridiculous. We are a laughing stock and to blame City and Real for hiking up the price, Jesus man.
    There's a naivety about it all. They must be the only ones who didn't think BvB were going to utterly rinse the club that gets him. They're famous for it and I don't blame them at all.

I've said for months now that they simply had to sign him because they made it so public that he was the target, the one the sacrifices have been made for and to back out is damaging. It makes us look weak. We've missed out on CL football for nothing and that is having a big effect now but the fact he wants the move even though we aren't in it and they're still walking away is unforgiving for me.
    Klopp was all cocky in the summer about our midfield and it's now made him look a plum.

I don't expect them to do this often but just this once I'd like them to go all out for the player the fans want. The club's not going to go bust over it.
    Imagine the optimism from that? Whereas now it's the opposite.
    I get the rational thinking over getting three players over one, it's sensible but that's not the issue for me.
    I agree with everything you have said.

If we bring 3 in and a couple get injured, we'll certainly be hampered but no where near as badly as we have been this season.
    Given our injury record. We'll sign three midfielders and four will get injured.
    "...and my inch is like a freight train, so I only use it in self defence"

Given our injury record. We'll sign three midfielders and four will get injured.
    Brilliant. And we know it's true too..

The most important signings will be an entirely new medical staff.

Where's the limit? At what point does the fee become to much?
    It's a big issue that - with all potential transfers, not just Jude.

Let's say our evaluation is £100m and theirs is £150m - we can't get into a habit of paying 150% of our evaluation on players.

If we do, then our £20m youth targets become £30m, our £40m expenditures become £60m and any "big" outlay transfer in the £80m region becomes £120m.

Bellingham is worth more to us than our rumoured £84m bid but if the rumours of Dortmund wanting UPWARDS of £135m are true then I think you have to walk away.

We should be aiming to get the talents that Brighton/Porto/Napoli/Southampton/Dortmund dig out before they do and investing in Academy level Homegrown players so that a couple of Academy lads break through simultaneously. There is a wealth of talent out there and we need to be better at recruitment and coaching at all levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    It's a big issue that - with all potential transfers, not just Jude.

Let's say our evaluation is £100m and theirs is £150m - we can't get into a habit of paying 150% of our evaluation on players.

If we do, then our £20m youth targets become £30m, our £40m expenditures become £60m and any "big" outlay transfer in the £80m region becomes £120m.

Bellingham is worth more to us than our rumoured £84m bid but if the rumours of Dortmund wanting UPWARDS of £135m are true then I think you have to walk away.

We should be aiming to get the talents that Brighton/Porto/Napoli/Southampton/Dortmund dig out before they do and investing in Academy level Homegrown players so that a couple of Academy lads break through simultaneously. There is a wealth of talent out there and we need to be better at recruitment and coaching at all levels.
    You're not wrong but why did they make it so known that they were literally holding off for him? It's been another very poorly thought out plan.
    And why would they think 84m is acceptable when the rumours have been north of 100m for over a year. They surely know that so why did they even bother entering into negotiations and end up looking so pathetic. That was my fear in all of this .
    Something doesn't add up, especially when you add that to the press leak.

I'm genuinely hoping it's a ruse to get him to force the move. It's also out of character, we don't walk away unless it's a situation like Fekir, medical related etc.