Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes afoot for trip to West Ham?

And these are all lies I suppose.

For the record.

In Thiago’s first season - our title defence. A lockdown… A season defined by that crazed January tweak where we ended up playing Hendo and Fabinho at CB for a long stint.

However - before that disastrous tweak and without Thiago…our best form over any 10 game period was 22 points.

Yet deep in the mire, facing the need for title form to make top 4…minus any senior CB including the absence of Virgil, and minus the captain..Playing a mixture of Kabak, Phillips or Rhys Williams, we went on to take 26 points from the last 10 games. Anyone can go back and look at which players were missing for that period.

This was then followed up last season which saw us miss out on a treble by minutes and a quad by another 90! That’s the 35 games and 92 points I highlight.

And worse. Looking at last season - the form with and without. We can see clearly.. That had Thiago been able to play more (his biggest issue) we would easily have taken the title.

How anyone can attempt to ignore these facts and continue to tell us that black is white… is simply beyond reason. I shouldn’t need to defend the fact that I rail against it either.

Thiago, has never shown anything other than average for us..I don't get the hype. I would be happy if he stays but not first choice.
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

To some extent you are both right, however in your equally vain attempts to win the argument, you both exaggerate the importance of your relative pin up boys way beyond reality.

Can’t argue with that miller. why? Because it’s the simple truth.

And Justme is also right. Thiago has never been great. He has shown quality but he hasn’t had the players at his level to work with. At least imo.

Its not that, he just cant handle the pressing of the opposition. In Germany a lot of teams play 4/4/2 or more attack minded. He gets away with it. because there's only 2 midfielders. In England teams squash the play in the middle.He has less time to react. hence how much he gives away the ball when he passes forward.

Well that’s fine but then please attend to the issues I have highlighted. The only season he has played in over here where we didn’t have an injury crisis. Despite the fact that Mané was AWOL for the first half a season and Mo AWOL for the second half - we almost win a quad..?

That’s before we mention the last 10 games of the title defence season that allowed us into the CL at all.

He hasn’t been great - but if a certain individual labels him as the cause of our demise, when he so clearly isn’t, I will defend the point.
    Last edited by Steveo; 26th April 2023 at 09:37 AM.

Last season it was our forwards that got us into the position. we scored a hell of a lot of goals.. The title winning side was our defence that won us the title. We were very close to the quad last season. But it didnt materialize Going back to Thiago i stand by my opinion. hes been nothing but average for us.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Last season it was our forwards that got us into the position. we scored a hell of a lot of goals.. The title winning side was our defence that won us the title. We were very close to the quad last season. But it didnt materialize Going back to Thiago i stand by my opinion. hes been nothing but average for us.
    Agree to a point. Diaz's introduction was also crucial as was the form the games both Mane and Mo missed while away at AFCON. Your view that Thiago has been average is perfectly reasonable. He certainly has not been great. My argument is against the narrative that he has been the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    To some extent you are both right, however in your equally vain attempts to win the argument, you both exaggerate the importance of your relative pin up boys way beyond reality.
    Im standing up applauding this right now. Spot on, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Does anybody actually read said two lads comments? Because (same as eggy81), I'm flicking past everything with their names on....
    I read and contributed there recently, but its beyond my interests now.
    There are a few of us who you can skip over, I do it with Sid sometimes when he was talking about uefa coefficients or repeating his points on fsg and reality of financing. 19, Steveo, Taksin and myself other shouts.
    Sid makes some good points but I've addressed the short sightedness of his outlook as I see it. Like the costs involved of keeping players here and getting no fee whilst wasting money on wages.
    I myself can be skipped too, and more than Sid in general tbh