Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: Match Thread: Liverpool v Fulham

In terms of goals I think we have managed reasonably well considering the departures of Mane, Origi and Minamino combined with Núñez adjusting to the League, Jota unavailable a lot, Gakpo joining half-way through and Diaz missing half a season.

We're actually the League's 3rd best scorers - only Man City and Arsenal have scored more. Crucially this does need tempered by the fact that 16 of those goals came in 2 games (Man United and Bournemouth) but I would be cautiously optimistic that next season -

- We might get more games with Jota
    - We should get more games with Diaz
    - Núñez should be a little better adjusted and thus potentially get more goals
    - Gakpo will have more months and hopefully more goals

Bolster the midfield (with the right targets the press and counter-press should improve) and we should be conceding less to compliment what I hope will be an improvement in our goal-scoring department.

Don't think we will be challenging for a title in 23/24 but I do feel we could have enough to finish in the Champion's League spots. Then going into 24/25 there would be a change to the Champion's League format including the League having a "Top Five" so qualification for the Tournament (and thus hopefully continued stability) should be that little bit easier.

I'd be much more concerned if we were miles off Newcastle and Man United but I really don't think we are at all.

16 goals arriving via just 2 games - Bournemouth and United. Massively skewing it. Spurs with a similar goals total despite this.

our scoring fell off a cliff over tte season.

Win those 2 games by 2 goals to 0 and our GS is 54

Also with more striking options lately - 10 goals in 2 games v Leeds and Spurs.

4 games = 26 goals scored. Massive anomaly for the season.

win all those games 4 games 2 nil and our GS is 48

Very low
    Last edited by Steveo; 4th May 2023 at 11:35 AM.

As has been said though, lots of injuries and a couple of new strikers bedding in, I would be very optimistic about our goal tally next season, it’s the other end of the pitch I’m most worried about.
    Once we’ve brought in the minimum of two midfielders, will we still look at the defence?
    Not convinced

Agree - Goals should be in better supply going forward. Back line needs urgent attention too - it does look a bridge too far for that and midfield on Jurgen’s watch just now

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Agree - Goals should be in better supply going forward. Back line needs urgent attention too - it does look a bridge too far for that and midfield on Jurgen’s watch just now
    They just need to win the race to land Ndicka on a free, that'll make a massive difference, especially to our defending with 3 back with the Trent tweak

We didn't help ourselves goal wise by throwing the baby out with the bath water AGAIN when starting this season, Klopp needs to learn from this and stop it, he's done it far too often the last 3 seasons, we were fortunate as wrong as it sounds, that Elliott picked up that injury last season or it would have ended up like this one

It's a really simple thing a much better manager than him said "If it aint broken don't fix it" add to it, evolve it while keeping the fundamentals and certain set movements and triggers that are important to other areas and players performing at their best, you can't evolve a team with the sort of drastic mass changes that change almost everything else

I think Jurgen has shown a considerable chink in his armor in his attempts at evolution, it's been the biggest test of him in his career, he's not done it before, we need him to pass this test in his summer recruitment and next season and we pertinently need some of the coaching he's always talking about, there are too many players who have needed it to improve certain aspects that it pertinently hasn't been given to
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    As has been said though, lots of injuries and a couple of new strikers bedding in, I would be very optimistic about our goal tally next season, it’s the other end of the pitch I’m most worried about.
    Once we’ve brought in the minimum of two midfielders, will we still look at the defence?
    Not convinced
    Getting the defence right should help both ends of the pitch - winning the ball back in the right place will lead to us getting attacks and stopping counters will reduce the strain on the defence.

Goes without saying that for the above to be true we need to absolutely nail our recruitment, but IF we do it will help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Sorting out the midfield will almost certainly improve our defending imo