Page 13 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213141516171819202363 ... LastLast

Thread: General Transfer Thread Summer 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    Those clubs should never have been able to spend like that in the first place.

I do think an alternative system should be in place to give clubs that don't have a history of success more of a chance. Perhaps certain players could be excluded from sale or something to keep the balance - almost every side in the League in chunks of the 90s and early 00s had at least one really good player.

Clubs hoovering up good players just so other clubs couldn't have them has been very bad over the years.
    Talking about hoovering up players. Chelsea apparently in advanced talks for caicedo. Another 100mil midfielder to go with Enzo?

If they get him that could sort their midfield for a while.

I do think an alternative system should be in place to give clubs that don't have a history of success more of a chance. Perhaps certain players could be excluded from sale or something to keep the balance - almost every side in the League in chunks of the 90s and early 00s had at least one really good player.

Clubs hoovering up good players just so other clubs couldn't have them has been very bad over the years.
    Totally agree. Just think that ffp has been brought in to keep the big clubs at tbe top and was introduced after City / Chelsea / PSG had gate crashed that party.

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    Totally agree. Just think that ffp has been brought in to keep the big clubs at tbe top and was introduced after City / Chelsea / PSG had gate crashed that party.
    We'll FFP has been replaced by FSR since June of 2022 so we will see how that goes. I'm never confident as power corrupts but will continue to take pleasure in the smaller things when it comes to us and see how that goes.

Struggle? Man City?

They'll get bigger sponsorships that "represent the pull of a side that totally legitimately won a Treble" and win the League again at the very least, likely Champion's League win again as well.
    That is true. Hope springs eternal though. Like how a few of their support whined that not replacing Kompany in summer 2019 allowed us to start the 19/20 at a tremendous win rate and clinch the PL title.

The NFL in the USA has a draft system whereby the least successful teams have a first pick on the top-rated rookies/ college graduates.
    Don't know how this would work in the Premier league but there might be some way. Perhaps limit the amount clubs are able to spend during the window?

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    The NFL in the USA has a draft system whereby the least successful teams have a first pick on the top-rated rookies/ college graduates.
    Don't know how this would work in the Premier league but there might be some way. Perhaps limit the amount clubs are able to spend during the window?
    I have always liked the idea of implementing something similar to the draft system actually - just not entirely sure how it would be practically implemented within the footballing Pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by Creator Supremes View Post
    That is true. Hope springs eternal though. Like how a few of their support whined that not replacing Kompany in summer 2019 allowed us to start the 19/20 at a tremendous win rate and clinch the PL title.
    We'll see. They might miss Gundogan for example but I think they will just buy a ready -made replacement.

Main thing for me is to get back into the Champion's League and ideally stay there - and also to win the Europa. Winning a European Tournament in Dublin would be bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Talking about hoovering up players. Chelsea apparently in advanced talks for caicedo. Another 100mil midfielder to go with Enzo?
    Enzo's fucking quality and we could have signed him for 9m last summer had we been willing to replace Fab with him, it's painful to watch him make the play so brilliantly for them from No6, even moreso when you see the positions he finds their players in ours are so much better from, Trent, Mo, Robbo, Diaz, Nunez, Bobby, Gakpo would all have benefited hugely from having a player who can find them in the areas they've always created from

People try and blame everything that was got wrong last season on our not buying a mid, when our insistence on persisting with certain 'favourites' has long ruled us out of signing better players to replace them
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 17th June 2023 at 04:30 AM.
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Enzo's fucking quality and we could have signed him for 9m last summer had we been willing to replace Fab with him, it's painful to watch him make the play so brilliantly for them from No6, even moreso when you see the positions he finds their players in ours are so much better from, Trent, Mo, Robbo, Diaz, Nunez, Bobby, Gakpo would all have benefited hugely from having a player who can find them in the areas they've always created from

People try and blame everything that was got wrong last season on our not buying a mid, when our insistence on persisting with certain 'favourites' has long ruled us out of signing better players to replace them
    That last bit I would disagree with. Our insistence on not spending the required money has long ruled us out of signing better players to replace them.

You have mentioned we could have gotten Enzo for 9million about 9 million times at this point. I remember some other posters pointing out that his preference was always benfica. But who knows really. Not any of us that's for sure.

But back to the original post and it looks like Chelsea could have their midfield sorted for a good few years of they get caicedo. Ridiculous money of course. But it shows how hard it is to compete these days unless your scouting is spot on.

Martin Titler or Tyler is leaving Sky.
    Not that I care if he transfers to another station. It's just great fucking news.