Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Midweek fixtures May 24th 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    "I’m totally devastated. There’s absolutely no excuse for this. We had everything we needed to make it to next year’s Champions League and we failed. We are Liverpool and qualifying to the competition is the bare minimum. I am sorry but it’s too soon for an uplifting or optimistic post. We let you and ourselves down"

- Mo Salah, via Twitter
    Mo is right, i don't blame him, or any of the players for that matter, the ones i disagreed with the use of, just doing what was asked of them, i think the attempted evolution was got very wrong, it didn't ever work, Jurgen desperately wanted it to and maybe the closest and most influential coaches too, and it seemed like they couldn't or wouldn't accept it wouldn't ever work until it was too late with too few games left and even then, the tweak did really underline how badly they lost their way, unable or unwilling to see that what had worked prior to them trying to implement their grand idea would still work brilliantly if they returned to it, that it was their changes that broke it

These are the dangers of status quo and what frequently becomes a small echo chamber off the back of success, especially success against such incredible odds
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Still the awful possibility that FA PGMOL stitch up ends up having sealed it, if we win and Chelsea beat Newcastle, as big a fuck up as our coaches made of this season, our late run has been incredible and a season is 38 games, it would be the second season running FA PGMOL robbed us in the run in, last season of the title
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

It's not the players who let us down this season. It's the players who didn't play, and the players we didn't even have to begin with!

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    It's not the players who let us down this season. It's the players who didn't play, and the players we didn't even have to begin with!
    I blame the very very high expectations of 19x on the matchday threads. Expecting to bum all around him, score NOW !! and get a quick second here.
    It was all too much pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I blame the very very high expectations of 19x on the matchday threads. Expecting to bum all around him, score NOW !! and get a quick second here.
    If you can't live under the pressure, you shouldn't be anywhere near LFC Ian...
    It's the difference between being perennial octuple trophy winners every season, and being eternal losers....

I know which one I'm choosing....

KLOPP OUT! NineteenX IN.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    Do it NOW!
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

We are obviously in a much better general squad position than when Klopp rolled into Anfield, my concern is, the biggest difference was made when we sold Coutinho and reinvested in the squad. We can’t repeat that particular trick and the midfield in particular needs major investment, plus CB and a replacement for Salah.
    This lot won’t put a penny of their own in, they’ve shown that from day one.

I feel cautiously optimistic for next season.
    If we can recruit well, and the tight-wad, cigar-smoking wrinkle-dick can put his hand in his pocket and give us some funds to bring some decent players in, we should do OK.
    Bung PGMOL a few shillings and we're sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by miller0863 View Post
    We are obviously in a much better general squad position than when Klopp rolled into Anfield, my concern is, the biggest difference was made when we sold Coutinho and reinvested in the squad. We can’t repeat that particular trick and the midfield in particular needs major investment, plus CB and a replacement for Salah.
    Completely agree on the squad - Klopp's first match day pick leaves a lot to be desired.

......................Mignolet

Clyne......Skrtel......Sakho....Moreno

.................Lucas........Can

.....Lallana......Coutinho......Milner

..........................Origi

Bogdan
    Toure
    Sinclair
    Teixeira
    Randall

As to the "Coutinho trick" - it would certainly be a nice bonus if we had someone to sell, though I don't think it's necessary. The midfield trio that arguably yielded the most success for us in recent years was that of Henderson, Milner and Wijnaldum - a £20m lad already at the club, a free transfer and a £25m lad that came from a relegated side. Whilst I'm not suggesting that we try to replicate that exactly, I also think that there are enough footballers out there within our budget (estimate we will spend around £100m this Summer) to compliment what's already here.

We also are in a good position in terms of not feeling we have a lot of "dead wood" to shift (often expensive to replace) and we have some decent younger talent to supplement that. There isn't a terribly long list of "we absolutely MUST replace him ASAP" - so that's another plus.

As for finances, we are not at all far from the 24/25 season which will have FIVE Champion's League spots up for grabs, plus the increased stadium capacity (which will continue to bring in money long after the owners are gone) will be a top-up.

We also have players who know they can and must perform more consistently over the course of the upcoming season. That's on them and they are more than capable. Hopefully the absence of Champion's League football could even prove to be a wake-up call for anyone who was getting complacent and taking it for granted that they would play in that Tournament indefinitely.

If we fail to qualify for the Champion's League 2/3/4 seasons in a row then we will have major cause for concern, but I don't foresee it at the moment. A good pre-season for our attackers (Diaz was injured, Gakpo arrived in January, Núñez was stop-start) would help and the option of the Box Midfield set-up with tweaks may keep some lads on their toes.

Get a couple of midfielders in that are young, fit, healthy, intelligent enough to respond to coaching instructions and can press to the desired level - we'll look at least 10% better (if not more) and actually play to something resembling our potential and we should be on for 75+ points and a Champion's League finish unless we're very unlucky. Then continue to add to the squad.

Klopp can absolutely build a second-cycle side and the attacking unit of it is already well under way, with Salah our only forward over-30 now. Hopefully improve the midfield this Summer and the defence the following Summer - we'll be headed in the right direction all the way if we play our cards right - and we can.