Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global fan base of different clubs.

Global fan base of different clubs.

Just wonder what are peoples thoughts on the so called story about Newcastle's 25 million shirt sponsor.
    As i understand it the shirt sponsorship would be approximately commensurate with the size of the fan base world wide. The two biggest global fan bases are Liverpool and ManUtd, and I think their shirt sponsor deals are between 40 and 50 million. So Newcastles deal of 25 million, it's a bit inflated for such a nouveau riche club, but they are in the Champions League now, so..ok maybe. City's shirt deal is about 75 million which is obviously ridiculous, compared to their city rivals Man Utd who have fans all over the world. This super inflated deal is probably just one of the 115 that will be looked into no doubt.
    It kind of begs the question, why City don't have a much improved global fan base. Which they don't, let's face it, despite being in the Champion's League now for quite a few years. I think it is because their games are not exciting to watch. There is no sense of 'jeopardy' when they play. They have a bench which is better than most other clubs first eleven. So what is the attraction of watching them play out an inevitable win. Keep the ball for 30 mins and then score a goal and then keep the ball til the end of the game. (That is a simplistic generalisation, but you all know what i mean.)
    Games like the Barcelona four nil, or the Gerrard cup final, or Istanbul, they are nerve racking for us, but the world wide audience can't look away, and they fall in love with the club. The slight down side is that you see alot of tourists nowadays at Anfield watching the game through their phones. But our fan base is globally huge, and I like that. Funny to hear a crowd of thousands in the far east singing 'you'll never walk arone' (sorry for that slightly racist joke, not meant with malice).

If they keep winning the champions league they will as All kids want to follow the champions. So it's up too the mums and dad's to put them on the right path !!
    Which let's be honest ,will be hard if City are winning everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    If they keep winning the champions league they will as All kids want to follow the champions. So it's up too the mums and dad's to put them on the right path !!
    Which let's be honest ,will be hard if City are winning everything.
    Indeed.

I can honestly say I have seen about 4 Man City shirts (total) on people over the age of 18 here and maybe 10-12 (total) on lads under the age of 18 - that is since approximately 2008.

I expect I will see more Man City shirts in the next single calendar year than the previous 15 years combined.

Last night was probably the least amount of 'genuine' football fans celebrating the winning of the EC/CL ever....

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Last night was probably the least amount of 'genuine' football fans celebrating the winning of the EC/CL ever....
    Said to my pals before kick off there are as hardly a genuine fan made flag amongst the lot of them. That's their fanbase in a nutshell.
    Imagine being a club like that, they can have all the success they want. It's as hollow as an Easter egg.
    We're a different level of club and they know it and they'll never get there.

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Said to my pals before kick off there are as hardly a genuine fan made flag amongst the lot of them. That's their fanbase in a nutshell.
    Imagine being a club like that, they can have all the success they want. It's as hollow as an Easter egg.
    We're a different level of club and they know it and they'll never get there.
    I can't speak for all of them and there will be "genuine" Man City fans out there (even if few and far between) but the impression given by the internet is that they enjoy "nah nah nah nah nah, we're rubbing it in your face" more than the actual winning.

I know the incredible mix of ecstasy and relief that was Origi finishing Tottenham off. I just don't picture their fans having that feeling often - particularly due to the lack of jeopardy in absolutely everything that they do. They don't have to carry a situation like a midfield compromised of lads that aren't in their peak like when Ox and Keita didn't work for us due to injuries - they just go to the sweet shop again and buy more.

Having not had to work for it in the same way they won't appreciate it to the same extent. Next season they will almost certainly be the first side to win the League 4 times in a row and they'll take more pleasure from saying "4 in a row" online than from the actual day they mathematically can't be caught - I just don't understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post
    I can't speak for all of them and there will be "genuine" Man City fans out there (even if few and far between) but the impression given by the internet is that they enjoy "nah nah nah nah nah, we're rubbing it in your face" more than the actual winning.

I know the incredible mix of ecstasy and relief that was Origi finishing Tottenham off. I just don't picture their fans having that feeling often - particularly due to the lack of jeopardy in absolutely everything that they do. They don't have to carry a situation like a midfield compromised of lads that aren't in their peak like when Ox and Keita didn't work for us due to injuries - they just go to the sweet shop again and buy more.

Having not had to work for it in the same way they won't appreciate it to the same extent. Next season they will almost certainly be the first side to win the League 4 times in a row and they'll take more pleasure from saying "4 in a row" online than from the actual day they mathematically can't be caught - I just don't understand that.
    Plastic fans innit mate

Quote Originally Posted by darrenpotter View Post
    Plastic fans innit mate
    The "absolute scenes" as they win a Treble.

https://twitter.com/fbawaydays/status/1667664643722997760?s=46&t=6Hh4IObPGoSUXjIssjMYSQ

Just wait for their parade around the entire city with 100's of thousands lining the streets
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

100% Sid. They've become a bunch of entitled cunts in such a short space of time, short memories n'all tha.
    Their title wins now are just "meh". That last night didn't seem like a tram who needed to win it like we did in 2019. We had to do it or there were consequences.
    There are no consequences for them. They were just going to spend until they got there. That's a shit way to achieve anything in life let alone football.