Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squad comparison 2021/22 v’s 2023/24

Squad comparison 2021/22 v’s 2023/24

Defensively at this moment in time no change so no comparison required..

2021/22 squad and 2023/24 potential replacements.

Midfield.

21/22 ~ 23/24

Thiago / Mc Allister
    Fabinho /
    Henderson / Trent
    Keita / Elliot
    Milner / Jones
    Minamino / Bajcetic
    Chamberlain / Szobozlai
    Elliot /
    Jones /

Forwards.

Mane / Diaz
    Origi / Nunez
    Firmino / Gakpo
    Diaz /
    Jota / Jota
    Salah / Salah

Given how the above squads compare, please note I have tried to take into account who I think, were relevant, is a like for like replacement…only my opinion 😁.

How do I believe these squads compare.

Midfield.

Thiago is without doubt our most skilful midfielder, but age and injuries are a problem, so McAllister = upgrade.
    Fabinho = unknown
    Henderson has been an amazing Captain, but like Stevie G, time has caught up with him, so Trent = upgrade.
    Keita has been Klopps biggest failure, injuries and lack of presence, so Elliot = big upgrade.
    Milner an absolute legend but like Henderson, time has caught up with him, so Jones = potential upgrade tbc.
    Minamino, technically very good but not strong enough, so Bajcetic = massive upgrade.
    Chamberlain unfortunately a promising career decimated by injuries, so Szoboszlai = massive upgrade

Forwards.

Mane an absolute legend but comparing Mane of today and not yesteryear, so Diaz = potentially as good tbc.
    Origi scorer of legendary goals but overall contribution frustratingly not enough, so Nunez = upgrade.
    Firmino another absolute legend and baller, but like Mane’s comparson, so Gakpo = potentially almost as good.

I appreciate that this is all subjective and moving Trent into midfield is controversial, but Gomez can cover Trents position, but I do believe that a replacement for Matip and cover for Van Dijk is an essential move we need to make, who we decide upon as a replacement for Fabinho is another big call and personally I think we do need another 2 bodies in midfield, more so if Thiago goes along with Henderson….

However, when you compare the squad of 21/22 who almost completed the quadruple, with our current squad as is, without any further arrivals, it is clearly seriously good enough to challenge for the Title and maybe one or two Cup competitions, especially as we have no Champions League to worry about…

I know that potentially we could lose all three of Thiago, Henderson and Fabinho, but if there is a Manager out there who can oversee such a dramatic turnover of our midfield and pull several game changing rabbits out of the hat, it is without doubt our Manager Jurgen Klopp.

Lets not forget, all the Saudi situation has done is just brought forward a conversation that we would have needed to have this time next year anyway, the only difference really is that we potentially will have £50M more in our transfer budget to resolve this issue sooner rather than later.

Personally I am looking forward to this season, tbf I am very optimistic and excited, however the next 2- 3 weeks is going to be really very interesting ….

YNWA

Hey bob, was gonna do a LFC 23/24 thread but this seems a good thread to reply to, so the post is with respect to now and looking to 21/22 the last good season, and the season just gone.

So,
    the squad as it stands in Klopps 433-ish as I see it

Players mooted to move ?

Goalkeepers
    Alisson(c), Kelleher? Adrian?

I'd rather have Kelleher as back up but a move makes sense for his career.
    Alisson captain for me.

Back 4

Rb TAA/Gomez*
    Rcb Konate/Matip?
    Lcb VVD/Philips?
    Lb Robbo/Tsimi

An addition seems needed.. CB the mooted interests.. Philips needs a move most but he is homegrown.
    Ideally we add a RB/CB capable player to our lot and maybe Philips moves on. If Matip is sold he'd need replacing. Gomez has his critics but capable at right back even in 19s estimations and is homegrown.
    Trent has got a new haircut.. so should be back to his best defensively and has enough ability to find a place in a best 11. For now back to his best at rightback is the best result.

Midfield Klopps 33-ish

Dm
    Fab/Hendo/Bajcetic
    2 8s Szoboszlai/Elliott/Thiago/MacAllister/Jones

Presented with what we have on the books, and given Hendos lack of enthusiasm for playing 6 imo, a new 6 is neccesarily a priority.
    Can't see many of these leaving despite the rumoured departures.

But the rumoured wages on offer are enticing. Would you work in Saudi for 4-5 years on 5 times your current salary. Say saving 3 times your usual yearly wage and spending twice as much as your annual income.
    30 grand a year UK
    150 grand a week Saudi Arabia. Saving 90 grand a year for 4 or 5 years. (360k-450k). Would you work/live in Saudi Arabia for 4-5years to save half a million more in the bank? Plenty of people move for wealth.

At 5 million a year UK...
    or Saudi Arabia spending 10 m a year and saving 15 million a year. 60-75 mill saved over 4-5 years. Put 15 million of that to your #Charity and it would seem a more than reasonable outcome. A 20-25 million a year in the UK over 4-5 years, 15 million is a far less reasonable share. Saudis aside.

We have 2 exciting additions it seems.

MacAllister Stats:
    Played 215
    Scored 34
    Assisted 22
    Mins 14,154
    GoalOrAssist per 252.75 minutes.

Played as...Games Goals Assist
    Central Mid .... 57 ...... 4 ....... 5
    Attacking Mid. 70 .... 12 ...... 11
    Defensive M.... 22 ..... 7 ....... 2
    Left Mid........... 22 ..... 5 ....... 2
    Centre Forward. 6 ..... 1 ....... 0
    Left Wing........... 3 ..... 1 ....... 0
    Right Midfield... 2 ...... 0 ....... 0

& Szoboszlai
    Played 226
    Scored 64
    Assisted 73
    Mins 15,338
    GoalOrAssist per 112 minutes.

Career stats to date
    Played as...Games Goals Assist
    Central Mid .... 59 .. 15.....24
    Attacking Mid. 37 .... 9 ..... 6
    Left Mid.......... 33 ... 15 ... 13
    Right Wing...... 27 ... 11 .... 8
    Left Wing........ 26 .... 7 .... 11
    Right Midfield..13 .... 2 ..... 8
    CentreForward. 1 .... 0 ..... 0

On paper, Szoboszlai looks most qualified from midfiled to play in our front 3. Would be the best Salah cover on stats in the squad. Playing rwf and right-mid.

MacA seems more suited to Central Midfield roles.

Front 3:

Lwf Diaz/Jota
    Cf Nunez/Gapko
    Rwf Salah/Szoboszlai*

On paper, its a 433 capable bunch but it needs more freshening up. The attack isn't exactly like for like in nature so more adaptability is also needed. 42X yada yada
    Add a 6, and upgrade on Philips, ideally a versatile CB.

Keita, Ox and Melo leaving has lifted my mood. Only Philips seems certain to be not selected if here.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/fabinho-and-henderson-out-lavia-and-thuram-in-klopp-scrambles-to-rebuild-liverpool-midfield/view/news/424832

^^Talk of Fab and Hendo leaving and Lavia & Thuram coming in, only gossip so far of course

With Hendo gone, Fab 2 dog passports away from a move.. and no one new arrived in the door as of yet, what's your best 11 right now ?

‼️𝗡𝗘𝗪 : Ittihad have confirmed the transfer of Fabinho🇧🇷💼

Imagine thinking a month ago we'd be without Hendo and Fab going into the new season.
    I don't think any LFC fan would have predicted that.

Really wish we’d kept Milly.

Anyone know how long his contract is with Brighton?

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Imagine thinking a month ago we'd be without Hendo and Fab going into the new season.
    I don't think any LFC fan would have predicted that.
    It's kind of nuts

Midfield Klopps 33-ish (minus Fab & Hendo now)

Dm
    ?/?/Bajcetic
    2 8s Szoboszlai/Elliott/Thiago/MacAllister/Jones

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    With Hendo gone, Fab 2 dog passports away from a move.. and no one new arrived in the door as of yet, what's your best 11 right now ?
    As it stands, in Klopps 433 ., I'd line them up....

Alisson
    TAA Konate VVD Robbo
    Sobozla MacA Diaz
    Salah Nunez Jota

Only 6 home-grown in the squad by my count.
    The window is still open....