Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squad comparison 2021/22 v’s 2023/24

I understand post losing both Henderson and Fabinho there are significant concerns about who we are currently being linked with, Lavia (limited experience and cost) Andre (No PL experience but good value) and now I have seen us linked with Dewbury Hall of Leicester ( plenty of PL experience but not a high profile player)…

Now I am old enough and ugly enough to know from painful experience, that all signings are a gamble and past form is no guarantee of success, Keita is a classic most recent example..£58M + wages for what exactly….��, but how many of us as supporters , me included …could have forecasted how amazing Andy Robertson and Gini would turn out to be…. bang for our buck was off the scale tbh, the same could be argued for 85/90% of Klopps signings to be fair.

So, If we all are truly happy to trust Jurgen Klopp, then now more than ever we really need to show that support and trust because rest assured he really does know better than all of us about whats required.

It is frustrating that LFC as a buying Club seems to believe that we have a God given right to pull everyones trousers down when it comes to Transfers in and out… Due diligence is one thing but as mentioned earlier ( Keita ��) there are no guarantees some you win and some you lose, my take on this is that if we had bought Mac For £50M and Lavia for £35, no one would raise an eyebrow at those deals, throw in Dom for £60M …

I must say though, getting £52M in for Hendo and Fab and not putting that to offset the purchase of Gvardiol is a big opportunity missed because once again, like the midfield last season our defence this season needs a statement signing and I just think he would be a massive step forward for this season going forward and the future…

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    As it stands, in Klopps 433 ., I'd line them up....

Alisson
    TAA Konate VVD Robbo
    Sobozla MacA Diaz
    Salah Nunez Jota

Only 6 home-grown in the squad by my count.
    The window is still open....
    I can't tell if this is a serious line up...

Trent would still be getting pelters despite being left one on one from every attack...

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    I can't tell if this is a serious line up...

Trent would still be getting pelters despite being left one on one from every attack...
    Well, it could be our best 11 presently without any more addition

Well, it could be our best 11 presently without any more addition
    We're going to find out tonight! Very similar line up tonight. 4 defenders / 6 forwards!

Think the addition of Endo & 19s stated generational talent Gravenberch has really filled out our midfield.
    I'm much happier with it than last year.

Think the addition of a player who could play CB & RB would have topped off the window for me.

To me the squad looks well set to play with a double pivot, and selections relative to opponents.

How do you see it now Bob ?

To me the squad looks well set to play with a double pivot, and selections relative to opponents.
    Mostly 433 On signing Gravenberch one of the things Jurgen said was pretty much "With their set up (4231) Bayerm didn't have a position for him, fortunately for us we do"

I would like to see us go back to the future, ie 433 as we played it in 19-20 without Fab, now we have the 3 quality versatile mids to do that.

Get Trent back to doing what Trent does best making play from deep with switches, balls over the top and long diagonals and creating with his crossing, switches and through balls further forward, still use the tweak now and then, with RCM or RFWD keeping the width deeper for Trent to come into midfield inside and work on drills for them to do that seamlessly over time, how i wanted it to be evolved since 18-19 pretty much

With Gravenberch likely to be in a LCM controller role from Jurgen's comments get thatonce lethal LB/LFWD partnership we needlessly ditched post 19-20between Robbo and Diaz back on with avengeance, Trent, Szlobo and Mac's switches and other passing could potentially make that more potent than ever too with the greater service

Plus we'll have Gravenberch's driving the ball forward Jurgen spoke of and his, Mac's and Virgil's service better supplying our right

Going through footage of the 15 game run in Fab's absence in 19-20 and drilling the mids, forwards and full backs in combination to absolutely nail the press and counter press, consistent brilliant positioning, fluidity and communication in it will be key
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

We need a double pivot because of Trent. Getting back to his best defensively at this point is wishful thinking.

Think the addition of Endo & 19s stated generational talent Gravenberch has really filled out our midfield.
    I'm much happier with it than last year.

Think the addition of a player who could play CB & RB would have topped off the window for me.

How do you see it now Bob ?

The additions of Endo and Grav is interesting…

TBF Endo has had a baptism of fire with his first two games to date, but our win percentage when he plays is brilliant tbh lol!!

But seriously, i think what we have seen that is encouraging for me is the chemistry and spirit of the squad, to go down to ten me and get a win against Bournemouth is great, but to then go and do that away at Newcastle after surviving for almost 80mins with just 10 men and then pinch the result in the manner we did, is off the scale good, and the squad and subs reaction on the bench was especially great to see.

Grav hopefully will add even more quality, youth, vigour and hunger to an already vastly improved squad, I am sure Jurgen would have liked a refresh of his defensive options, but on the whole and Systems aside, I think Klopp is going to really enjoy moulding this squad with all of its potential and so given his track record to date, I think we are going to have another rollercoaster journey this season, challenging for the title is a big ask but we are definitely going to be in the conversation for the top four and all of the domestic Cups.

The Europa draw was very favourable and so as City and Real Madrid are no longer an issue lol !!! I think we have to be one of the favourites ….

In Klopp we trust …..

We need a double pivot because of Trent. Getting back to his best defensively at this point is wishful thinking.
    Sorry to disappoint you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurgen;
    Thomas Tuchel said today in the press conference in Munich I think, the position he is best at, they don’t really have in their system (4231). We have that (433) – that’s good
    Trent will be far better played where he is best and supported in that by a high functioning team press and counter press
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you

Trent will be far better played where he is best and supported in that by a high functioning team press and counter press
    Trent is majorly or solely responsible for our goals conceded and goals against ruled offside this year.

I'm guessing the (bracketed) bits are pieces Klopp hasn't said or posted
    Klopp and pep played the same 433 and yet both hadn't a berth for the others midfielder types. Same again last year when Klopp went and copied pep/arteta at the end of the year, different preferences for Midfield.

Trent will be better when he plays better and loses his shit attitude. He's not been helped by people like you trying to blame Salah for trent being unable to receive a pass to him, or intercept a pass to him from Salah