Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Squad comparison 2021/22 v’s 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by CCTV View Post
    I'm guessing the (bracketed) bits are pieces Klopp hasn't said or posted
    What do you interpret it to mean and what other way could anyone possibly interpret Jurgen saying Tuchel, whose side have long played 4231 didn't really have a midfield place in which Gravenberch plays at his best in their system, but fortunately we, who have long played 433 with a LCM and RCM did
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Defensively at this moment as mentioned previously, no change so no comparison required..

This is a revision of my original post, given we now know the make up of our squad at the end of this years Summer Transfer window 2023.

2021/22 SQUAD AND 2023/24 REPLACEMENTS.

MIDFIELD.

21-22 / 23-24

Thiago / Thiago ….Thiago’s selection this season can be more strategic and as result his fitness can be managed better = PLUS

Fabinho / Endo……. Endo’s impact is the most unknown at the moment, so if we assume worst case scenario = MINUS

Henderson / Szoboszlai…..Szoboszlai massive performances and key influence overall so far this season = BIG PLUS

Keita / McAllister…..McAllister being played out of position hasn't helped,but given the low bar set by Keita = MASSIVE PLUS

Milner / Bajcetic ….. Bajcetic is little unknown this season, but last season was better than Milner so = BIG PLUS

Minamino /

Chamberlain / Gravenberch… Gravenberch’s physicality, age, pace, fitness and known pedigree this has to be a = BIG PLUS
    Elliot / Elliot….. Elliott is showing good signs of growth and maturity so he has clearly improved so again = PLUS
    Jones / Jones … Jones has shown even more growth and maturity and is now starting to deliver consistently so = BIG PLUS

Forwards.

Mane / Doak….. Regardless of Doak’s massive potential, at the moment there is no comparison so = MASSIVE LOSS
    Origi / Nunez …. Nunez has is on fire scoring goals, providing assists and continually causing chaos so = MASSIVE PLUS
    Firmino / Gakpo… Gakpo’s quiet start but like McAllister, has been played out of position but still looks great = SLIGHT LOSS
    Diaz / Diaz ….. Diaz is just getting better and better and looks more settled in a red shirt = PLUS
    Jota / Jota …. Jota looks even more settled and happier to come off the bench given the riches we now have up front = PLUS
    Salah / Salah … Salah is just Mr consistent and he is now adding even more assists to his game so = PLUS

So after six league games including Chelsea (A) Newcastle (A) and West Ham (H) one away Europa league game, we are only one poor penalty decision away from seven straight wins, all this despite receiving two red cards in consecutive matches away from home, having to cope with a subsequent 2 match ban for Virgil and having to cope with both Konate and Trent missing 2 games through injury and Thiago still unavailable…

So all things considered, this is a quite magnificent start to our season and long may this continue…next up a revitalised Spurs away, so another big challenge to climb, if we can continue our good form and win this one, it will certainly make the rest of the league sit up and take notice….

It’s all looking goods boys and girls, it’s all looking very good..

Apart from upgrading the comparison of Chamberlain v’s Gravenberch to MASSIVE PLUS.

We are now 9 games in, and despite Referees and Var controversies, we are nicely placed in the league, 3 Europa wins under our belt and the team developing nicely, I have to say that my original belief that this squad is better than the squad we had in our Quadruple near miss season, is proving to be on point.

Being able to make wholesale changes in games with no perceptible drop off in quality is quite some turnaround….

I think we can safely say that Klopp’s summer revamp of our midfield at a net spend of £94M is nothing short of remarkable .. so its safe to say not buying Bellingham is looking like another very good shout by Klopp.

Plus we got out of jail by missing out on both Caicedo and Lavia, so all good.

So excited to see what this team can go on to achieve this season, but what a blast it has been to date..

So far so good, long may it continue :-)

Just thought I would update my original post of 16th July 2023…

Well my last post was after 9 games, we are now after 21 games clear at the top of the Premiership by 5 points, Spurs farce aside we are technically undefeated, nicely placed in a winning position at half time in the Carling Cup semi-final, we have a favourable home draw against Norwich in the 4th round of the Fa Cup, and very nicely placed in the Europa league…

All of the above achieved despite the further incompetence of VAR arguably costing us even more points, significant injuries to key players and the team in general is still clearly in transition and only playing really well in patches.

When all of the above is taken into consideration, you have to say what a remarkable season we have enjoyed so far, it’s no guarantee that we will continue in the same form and go on to win trophies, but I think my original assessment of our squad probably being better than the squad that came closer to any other team in history winning the Quad… was actually not that far off the mark…

So far…. it’s official…if anyone was still under any doubt, Klopp is a fucking genius and the team he has put together is just brilliant, so let's keep it up with more of the same lads, starting with Fulham on Wednesday … we can fucking do this…

LOVE THIS CLUB AND KLOPP SO MUCH….YNWA

Amen