Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Henderson gone

Quote Originally Posted by redebreck View Post
    Equality for women in sport. Women at Wimbledon play a maximum of three sets compared to men possibly having to play five. And the women want equal prize money/pay for doing less work.
    Don't start me on football, rugby league, cricket and rugby union. Some women wanting equal pay when nowhere near the high standards of the men. They are effectively parasites of men's sport.
    Apologies if this causes offence.
    No offence caused. I am completely in agreement about women's Tennis for example.

Was with McEnroe with his comments about Serena. I appreciate what Andy Murray was trying to say when he said "greatest ever" because of her trophy haul, but McEnroe was absolutely spot on when saying that if she played on the men's tour (added physicality, serve speed, 5 sets) she probably wouldn't be in the top 100. A player like Andy Roddick never won a Wimbledon, but had Serena been his opponent in the Finals he played in ('04, '05 and '09 if I have my dates right, the '09 one arguably his best ever performance) he would have three.

Nineteenx had a very succinct couple of sentences somewhere on here about women profiting directly from the men building up the men's game and the women's game essentially getting a free ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesugw View Post
    Personally, I think it's shit. We're supposed to believe he's going because he's being offered less minutes this season? We're supposed to believe that's some just cause? Seriously? Of course he's going to be offered less minutes because he's thirty-fucking-three.
    Indeed. The overwhelming majority of players should expect to see a reduction in minutes once they reach a certain age. It's called succession and it happens in a lot of team sports, particularly in football.

Gerrard was going to need his minutes reduced at some stage - though he left rather than entertain the idea of coming off after 65 minutes or so / not playing twice a week / not being what would have been an incredible super-sub. Lads like Torres and Suarez would have eventually had minutes managed had they stayed. It will happen to Salah, it will happen to Van Dijk, it (eventually) happened to Milner.

The Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry, Messi side wasn't going to last forever. Mid-90s Chicago Bulls that managed "Threepeat" weren't going to last forever.

It's part of sporting life - plus it's not as if these lads (generally speaking) are on pay-as-you-play contracts.

Oh well. Our club has been guilty in the past of hanging onto players for too long out of sentiment and this move accelerates our progression of the "next" Liverpool side. The Wheel keeps turning.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesugw View Post
    Personally, I think it's shit. We're supposed to believe he's going because he's being offered less minutes this season? We're supposed to believe that's some just cause? Seriously? Of course he's going to be offered less minutes because he's thirty-fucking-three. No loyalty whatsoever - not just to the LGBTwhatever community but to the fucking club. Good fucking riddance. He was massively overrated anyway.
    No loyalty? Good fucking riddance? Not really.

12 years service. Players actually want to play football.

A true legend of this great club
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Good luck Hendo. Thanks for the memories and the trophies. The scenes with his dad after the Champions League win will live with me forever.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    A true legend of this great club
    Yes, he should be remembered as that as the captain that won the LEAGUE after all those years and the CL. The way he has departed is a bit sour but we shouldn't forget what he done as a player and captain of the club.

If Hendo had stayed he'd be getting slated for the "money he's on, and the minutes he's playing" if indeed he was playing reduced capacity here...
    Best of luck to you Jordan. I for one, have no ill will with your chosen career path, and am thankful for all those wonderful years of impeccable service, and above all, the shuffle dance... XXxX

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Not the clubs finest hour.. Apparently Hendo was told he wouldn't be getting many minutes at Anfield this season - so can't blame him, but the club hasn't officially announced this yet and here we see him training in Croatia with his new club..

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/07/jordan-henderson-trains-with-al-ettifaq-before-signing-confirmation/

Regarding Henderson, Steven Gerrard’s Al Ettifaq have struck an agreement worth £12m prior to add-ons to sign the 33-year-old.

Per the Daily Mail, the deal will be through a ‘structured timeline of payment’, rather than Liverpool receiving the full fee up front.

In any case, Henderson has agreed a three-year deal worth an eye-watering £700,000-a-week. The England international passed a medical on Friday and the Daily Mail state he’s now ‘said his goodbyes’ to those at Anfield.

Henderson is in line for a colossal pay rise while in the autumn of his career. However, per the Mail, there’s more than meets the eye with regards to why Henderson is leaving.

Indeed, the outlet state Henderson is set to leave Anfield after talks with Jurgen Klopp.

Henderson’s role would’ve greatly reduced
    The subject of the discussions reportedly centred around how much playing time he’d receive next year, along with his future role within the team. Henderson is described as speaking ‘at length’ with Klopp on the matter.

Henderson primarily operated in one of the two box-to-box midfield roles either side of Fabinho. However, those are the exact positions Mac Allister and Szoboszlai have been signed to fill.

What’s more, Henderson lost his place as a regular starter in the second half of last season and that was before Szoboszlai and Mac Allister arrived. As such, it stands to reason his minutes would’ve been in even shorter supply next term.

Another spanner in the works is the fact Trent Alexander-Arnold has been fielded in midfield at times during pre-season.

Alexander-Arnold was deployed as a hybrid right-back-central midfielder late last season, though lined up in midfield from the off in the 4-4 draw with Greuther Furth on Monday. Rising youngster Conor Bradley took the right-back berth.

Clearly, Henderson’s importance to Liverpool from a playing perspective has diminished and that, as much as the money, is why he’s greenlit a move to Saudi Arabia.
    £700,000 a week in wages plus some serious pr spin.

His reduced role sounds a little exaggerated, at least the Saudis rescued him with an offer to play football. Not sure they leveraged his desperation to play to the maximum.

At least hendos not blaming the fans...

The fans who forced Ginis hand when signing for his boyhood club and dream move to Barca.. that turned out to he PSG on 300k/week

Quote Originally Posted by jr81 View Post
    Yes, he should be remembered as that as the captain that won the LEAGUE after all those years and the CL. The way he has departed is a bit sour but we shouldn't forget what he done as a player and captain of the club.
    As a captain yes... as a player.. that's a stretch. And the league was won by the main men in the squad. Salah - Bobby - Mane - Virgil and Alisson were the absolutely key to both the title and the CL win. Anyone of them missing for any stretch - and we ain't winning either..

Hendo was never more than decent at the absolute most. An exemplary Pro and a great lad by all accounts , but a player that enjoyed plenty of good fortune. Fortunate to be captain as Jurgen arrived - extremely fortunate that Jurgen didn't go with his better judgement and move him on years ago too. And extremely fortunate that Stevie G is in Saudi offering him a salary he could never dream of. I still maintain that with a better player in his place - we are winning double.

Just my opinion - but one many share