Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer failures..

Transfer failures..

Am i upset / disappointed that the likes of Bellingham, Mount, Caicedo and now Lavia have all chosen alternate clubs to Liverpool FC…

Upset no, if you dont want to play for LFC thats fine, if you prefer a specific Club, Country, Lifestyle, Champions League footy or just want as much money as possible etc thats all good, and I will certainly not be losing any sleep over you thats for sure and ultimately now you mean nothing to me.

However, it is disappointing but its certainly not the end of the World, like Klopp has said on many an occasions we want players to push the train, not just ride on it. For example, we desperately wanted Keita and did everything possible to get him, got him in the end and look how that worked out, lets be honest does anybody believe his heart was actually in it..he certainly didnt push himself… never mind the bloody train and he just walked away on a free transfer after costing the club probably in excess of £80M+ without a backward glance… a very expensive failure.

So as good as all the above players clearly are, and they all would have improved our starting eleven, we really should only want and target players who are first and foremost motivated footballers who are committed to the cause and who get LFC… rather than their bank balance and lifestyle.

On a final note, I hear some comments that Lavia feels like he was second choice and as such felt unloved, and on that basis now prefers Chelsea.

Well Chelsea conducted their transfer dealings exactly the same way with Caicedo as we did with Lavia, they too baulked at paying the players valuation and only stumped up the required amount + £15M more once LFC made their move…

It will be interesting to see how Lavia will fit into Chelsea’s first team when they have paid £106M and £115M respectively for Enzo and Moises, he may well get some game time but I have a sneaky feeling he could be getting splinters in his arse, but never mind eh, clearly the pay and lifestyle offered is more than enough recompense it seems… hey ho rant over.

Nah, Caicedo was alway Chelsea’s number 1 priority and we just forced their hand.

Lavia was our priority (so it seemed) and we fannied about for £2m until we thought Caicedo was obtainable.

Can understand why he was pissed and chase Chelsea over Liverpool.

Alternatively, we were never interested in either, just wanted to make Chelsea pay an extra £40m than what they would have picked them up for?

I'm not really pissed off as both players by the looks of it never really wanted to sign for us. And both seem to be over priced. The problem I have is why the powers to be at Anfield decided to go for both when they only wanted Chelsea.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlfc View Post
    I'm not really pissed off as both players by the looks of it never really wanted to sign for us. And both seem to be over priced. The problem I have is why the powers to be at Anfield decided to go for both when they only wanted Chelsea.
    "Due diligence".

Seriously though.. it's true - we don't want anyone here who isn't 100% committed..

As you say a major issue is centred around... who is steering this ship..? It isn't great to see two youngsters choosing Chelsea over us however. We might not want the players.. but it is symbolic that we are now on that side of the Klopp bounce
    Last edited by Steveo; 16th August 2023 at 05:30 PM.

I'd take Lucas Leiva and/or Emre Can from Klopps early era as our 6s at this stage

And I agree, the amount of media spin including from players is ridiculous.

Apparently Caicedo felt wanted by Chelsea who'd made the early bidding, unimpressed with our late bid.
    But Lavia felt wanted by a late bid from cfc and unwanted by LFCs earlier bidding.
    Oh and Gini never felt loved by our fan base when making his dream move to Barca before ending up at PSG. Not sure he found the love he was looking for from PSG fans

Fairly sure all 3 found the biggest wage packet on offer

Fairly sure everything in the press is 99%BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    "Due diligence".

Seriously though.. it's true - we don't want anyone here who isn't 100% committed..

As you say a major issue is centred around... who is steering this ship..? It isn't great to see two youngsters choosing Chelsea over us however. We might not want the players.. but it is symbolic that we are now on that side of the Klopp bounce
    A factor, potentially - sure.

But I think it's worth reminding ourselves that Chelsea won the -

04/05 Premier League
    05/06 Premier League
    09/10 Premier League
    14/15 Premier League
    16/17 Premier League

and the -

11/12 Champion's League
    20/21 Champion's League

whilst also being pretty consistent with FA Cup wins as well -

2006/07
    2008/09
    2009/10
    2011/12
    2017/18

- plus some League Cups - so there is a younger generation of lads (fans and players alike) who are very accustomed to Chelsea lifting trophies, which makes them desirable. Plus money, plus London.

They have lifted the Champion's League the same number of times as us (twice) since (and including) 04/05 which is a nearly two-decade spell now and won the League 5 times in that spell compared to our one - whilst we were always the "bigger" club and will be for some serious time yet, there's a lot of that period of time from Rafa's tenure through to some of Klopp's time where Chelsea were sadly the more "relevant" club between the two.
    Your hobbies are rollerblading and you're also a bit of a rat-hound? Steel Wool
    Sid knows he's crazy and he likes it. Balinkay

True Sid.. this would back that up to a degree