Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dominik Szoboszlai

Quote Originally Posted by vin View Post
    I knew when i opened this thread that 19x would be the most critical
    What? I was saying he'd improved

More head on swivel from him and Mac more directing of others from Mac

His goal was great, i think they'll all show more with more games and what's currently great promise could well turn into something concrete (of the non 70's variety) and consistent

He looks very encouraging, a lot of it is 'nearly' right now
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

Quote Originally Posted by Nineteenx View Post
    What? I was saying he'd improved

More head on swivel from him and Mac more directing of others from Mac

His goal was great, i think they'll all show more with more games and what's currently great promise could well turn into something concrete (of the non 70's variety) and consistent

He looks very encouraging, a lot of it is 'nearly' right now
    Thoughts on his pressing, counter pressing and automation station?

Quote Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
    Thoughts on his pressing, counter pressing and automation station?
    Improved last time out with some direction from Mac

Needs head on swivel more and to also be directing and communicating, ideally in the press and counter press you want the entire team communicating and helping direct each other or alert each other to danger if a player is having the odd lapse and ball watching

In 19-20 when we did it best we had practically every player joining in, making sure each other were all switched on and consistently well positioned, we can get back to those levels now we have 2 or 3 mids to use at No6 who communicate, are suitably versatile to easily interchange positions with each other and have their head on swivel

No6 not doing those things nearly well enough themselves let alone helping and directing others to was a major weak link for too much of the last 3 seasons
    Last edited by Nineteenx; 6th September 2023 at 01:40 AM.

A reminder that Szoboszlai is -

- Younger than Trent
    - The same age as Jones
    - Only a couple of years older than Elliott and Quansah

What a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

- Younger than Trent
    - The same age as Jones

What a player.
    Yup,if fit he'll be first name on the teamsheet unless being rested. Its now up to the other mids to aspire to his level and versatility. Not sure there's gonna be a defined starting midfield 3 anymore once gravenverch and bajteic are up to speed. What are the possible permutations sid for rotation/subs etc?

Quote Originally Posted by sydenham red View Post
    What are the possible permutations sid for rotation/subs etc?
    There appear to be loads of combinations, particularly if we are persisting with the right full-back stepping in for the possession phase to bolster the midfield, or if we are going to use the set-up from the second half yesterday where Jones and Szoboszlai dictated from slightly deeper.

We've seen Mac Allister used as a 6 (not that I like it) and Szoboszlai used deeper in that formation yesterday as well as the right-sided 8 sort of role. Gravenberch may have been bought for a specific task, or may be another we plan to use for "versatility" who can cover multiple spots.

In terms of the players -

- Thiago
    - Endo
    - Mac Allister
    - Szoboszlai
    - Jones
    - Elliott
    - Gravenberch
    - Bajcetic

- there's a few lads we have seen deployed further up and deeper back already. There are past uses I haven't likes (Thiago as a sort of 10 was not for me) and I don't like the idea of Mac Allister as a 6 anything like as much as the idea of him as an 8, but I think the plan going forward is for most lads to be able to be used in any of the midfield positions for maximum options, with perhaps the exception of Elliott who I'd like to think won't be used as a 6 or DM or Endo as I don't think he will be used as an 8, even though he probably would have done fine there in a more "ball-winning" set-up like that of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Milner.

Lots of possibilities, some of which will be more potent than others and certain ones will be weaker. Much as I like what we have I wouldn't want to see a midfield three of, let's say, Elliott+Bajcetic+Mac Allister - but I am absolutely fine with those 3 players participating in midfields that contain one or two of Szoboszlai and Jones, who I think is going to quietly impress this season in that understated way that Wijnaldum or Lucas would have great games for us that would totally pass over the heads of a Match of the Day viewer.

Really pleased with our options. The next step is to replace Thiago with a quality player who is 21-25 and with a good fitness record. I want the average age to stay reasonable and the average appearances to go up - players being "good enough" for us should be an obvious prerequisite.

He was different gravy 2nd half. Also thought Jones stepped up in the 2nd half along side him.

I think we're a real top end DM away from having an excellent midfield, with good options to rotate. We have good options now for all the midfield positions, except that starting DM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insidious View Post

- Younger than Trent
    - The same age as Jones

What a player.
    And sexier than us all
    #FSGOUT

we are liverpool football club, not fucking norwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev0909 View Post
    And sexier than us all
    you speak for yersen!
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

Quote Originally Posted by jozza800 View Post
    He was different gravy 2nd half. Also thought Jones stepped up in the 2nd half along side him.

I think we're a real top end DM away from having an excellent midfield, with good options to rotate. We have good options now for all the midfield positions, except that starting DM.
    We haven't had a DM since Can left