Thread: Laws of the game …

Laws of the game …

I understand why VD was sent off, harsh IMHO as he made a genuine attempt to play the ball but just caught Isak prior to making contact with the ball, but ask yourself how often have we seen VD nick the ball off an attacker in similar circumstances and as a result we have all lauded his last minute defending… unfortunately on this occasion it just didn't work out and we got the ultimate punishment.

Thankfully we somehow managed to survive this early setback and come out with a truly remarkable result…

However, I do think incidents of this kind raises an opportunity to rethink the laws of the game, i suggest that in a situation like this were a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity has been denied, this should result in a penalty regardless if the incident happens inside or outside of the box and the offending player only receives a yellow card.

Before you react with an open mouth just bear with me, i think this will put a stop to all of the out and out deliberate fouls on players who are clean through on goal and the defender has decided its worth a red card as denying them a goal with only minutes remaining it the PROFESSIONAL thing to do….if this law change was in place, I believe the defender is actually better placed to let things be and trust your keeper in a one on one, rather than give away a penalty…

At least this way, it puts a stop to players being sent off like VD on Sunday which is not great and also the attacking team get a penalty…thereby ensuring defending team don't benefit from the foul…

It does create a whole new raft of subjective decisions for Referees and VAR to make and given how incompetent most of them appear to be atmo, it opens another can of worms, but tbf if I was Newcastle on Sunday, or the boot was on the other foot, I would have been much happier with this scenario and the game itself would have probably been a better spectacle for it, with both teams having 11 players on the pitch going at it hammer and tong…

I don't think a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity was denied, for that to be the case you'd have to be certain of him controlling it in a way that made it one and being able to do so before the keeper was on top of him to smother, none of which Brook could possibly predict so it wasn't a red
    "If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, i'd close the curtains”

I totally understand your point, but ask yourself if that foul was on Salah, I am sure we would in that instance bith argue like Newcastle, that this was a clear goal scoring opportunity, but I have to agree that the interpretation as to what constitutes a “ clear goalscoring opportunity “ is clearly up for debate..

However, imho surely every tackle attempted is by its very nature, is an attempt to deny a goal scoring opportunity, so to me a red card should only be enforced if the tackle was a clear and deliberate attempt to foul the player with no attempt to play the ball… rather than apply to any genuine attempts to win the ball..

Last man back. No one on the cover, getting back. Central area of the pitch.

Bit stupid on Virgils part, though I've not seen it back.
    Not sure it was a foul, but if that was a foul it's a red card.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBPAISLEYFAN View Post
    I understand why VD was sent off, harsh IMHO as he made a genuine attempt to play the ball but just caught Isak prior to making contact with the ball, but ask yourself how often have we seen VD nick the ball off an attacker in similar circumstances and as a result we have all lauded his last minute defending… unfortunately on this occasion it just didn't work out and we got the ultimate punishment.

Thankfully we somehow managed to survive this early setback and come out with a truly remarkable result…

However, I do think incidents of this kind raises an opportunity to rethink the laws of the game, i suggest that in a situation like this were a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity has been denied, this should result in a penalty regardless if the incident happens inside or outside of the box and the offending player only receives a yellow card.

Before you react with an open mouth just bear with me, i think this will put a stop to all of the out and out deliberate fouls on players who are clean through on goal and the defender has decided its worth a red card as denying them a goal with only minutes remaining it the PROFESSIONAL thing to do….if this law change was in place, I believe the defender is actually better placed to let things be and trust your keeper in a one on one, rather than give away a penalty…

At least this way, it puts a stop to players being sent off like VD on Sunday which is not great and also the attacking team get a penalty…thereby ensuring defending team don't benefit from the foul…

It does create a whole new raft of subjective decisions for Referees and VAR to make and given how incompetent most of them appear to be atmo, it opens another can of worms, but tbf if I was Newcastle on Sunday, or the boot was on the other foot, I would have been much happier with this scenario and the game itself would have probably been a better spectacle for it, with both teams having 11 players on the pitch going at it hammer and tong…
    Interesting musings, I find your proposal objectionable. A gut feeling mainly.

Virgil makes a mistake, he concedes the foul.
    If people want to make the case it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity, all the bigger a mistake by Virgil

The punishment, seems fair. Those are the rules. There's no guarantee the penalty is scored when awarded. The punishment of a red card I believe is the better punishment. It carries a certain cost, playing with 10 men for sure is worth 2 missed Salah penalties in the bush.

Games been mucked up by constant rule changes. Not sure more experimenting is the answer.