Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where’s your famous atmosphere?

Where’s your famous atmosphere?

It’s a rather tedious chant we often have from away supporters at Anfield, with the occasional ‘is this a library?’…

Full story

Too many tourists

West Ham at 2 o'clock on a Sunday is a bit different to a night game under the lights .

Correct Ian. Pretty sure I’ve never been to a daytime game that’s ‘rocking’, but once those floodlights come on, the place is transformed. Even back in the 80s the atmosphere ebbed and flowed. It depends very much on what’s happening on the pitch.

That said, Sunday wasn’t awful. Sure it was a bit quiet in the first half… we weren’t great and there were plenty of serious hangovers being nursed, but it picked up in the second half.

Pretty sure it’s the pundits, former players and managers that have created the Anfield atmosphere stories, not us. At least we don’t need plastic flags and fucking bubble machines.
    I bet you can squeal like a pig!

Let’s be real folks. The acoustics are on the wane. Can’t blame the fans either. The ground is a complete mess

I get the pride that many of our local fans hold BUT they need to be honest with themselves. Comparing us to the plastic flag wavers is the only defence. It’s a genuine observation made by visiting fans and many locals alike.. There is no conspiracy to belittle our sound.

It will still have the best fans around and will likely still create the best atmosphere going - all down to the quality and passion of the hardcore…

BUT…

The sound is diluting inline with the corporate imbalance inside the 4 ridiculously divided and distinctly different stands. It's like like 4 different communities because that’s what it is. How does anyone expect a unified voice?
    Last edited by Steveo; 26th September 2023 at 07:59 AM.

All this has done is remind me of this nonsense from 14 months ago...where they kept showing us that one corner of the ground. One fookin corner.... The one they felt looked good enough to show as a 3d render. not too many photos of it though today eh.. in almost October 2023..

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/07/9-photos-of-how-anfield-will-look-after-61000-seat-expansion/

To the tune of Guantanamera...

'One fookin corner - you've just got one fookin corner - one fookin coooo'orner....Just the one fookin corner..'

What a mess..

we could only build the stadium a certain way because of restrictions in space. what do you suggest the club does? oh yeah move like you said a while ago?. Unless your some kinda architect and would have done better: Im sure the club employed the best..
    Cleaning up the Scots since the 13th century

There were many ways to have "redeveloped" it to be far more homogenous than it is today.

This was done on a tight budget and to stuff in a massive corporate hospitality section - all in ONE GO - One stand - the new main stand - which has dwarfed the rest of the ground. You don't need to be a designer, like myself - or an architect, with whom I work alongside often - to know that corners have been cut and bad decisions made entirely based on keeping costs to a minimum. It's called ON THE CHEAP. This isn't even close to "employing the best"..and IF by some miracle they really did - it was a complete waste of time because the final design accepted is deeply flawed.

This is Liverpool FC, the most successful football club in the land. I would expect a far more balanced design. Levelling up the ground at least on 3 of the 4 stands. Upgrading every stand (which is what I call a redeveloped stadium - as promised) to achieve the max allocation and leave Anfield with some kind of an identity. A style. At present there is NO STYLE. There is no look that defines it beyond the poor attachment of 4 ill fitting stands! This is before we talk about the effects it is having on the atmosphere.

My hope is that - in the future we will have a mirror of the New Main Stand in place of the Centenery/SKD..This would at least create some cohesion - but that is not happening with these owners and so the chance of some symmetry is not good.

There will be further great nights and we will hear the kop roar as it always did.. but you cannot separate and partition the fans like this and expect to witness the harmony the ground once had. This is a bad design in any language.

Just look at it FFS...! Be objective and tell yourself this is good enough

Last edited by Steveo; 26th September 2023 at 11:00 AM.

Lol

Agree. It's four separate stands/areas. No conformity. Main stand dwarfs everything else. Anfield Road end is lower than main stand but higher than Kop and Kemlyn Road.
    It's a mishmash.