Thread: The goal would have been called offside anyway.without var .is just crap..

The goal would have been called offside anyway.without var .is just crap..

The comment that if VAR was not in place it would have been given offside anyway is utter nonsense, VAR now provides linesman and Refs with a “ get out of jail free card “ so whereas before VAR, the linesman would assess the situation in an instant and make a call, and tbf history has shown that they got most of these tight calls in the past correct which tbf is remarkable all things considered, on Saturday this by that standard wasn't even close to being offside and so I believe the linesman would have genuinely kept his flag down and the goal would have stood, but now VAR removes the need for such excellence because they can just keep putting their flag up after the goal is scored regardless whether they believe it was offside or not, because it makes sense to not make a definitive decision and just let VAR check it….

Simon Jordan and Alan Shearer have played this line and it shows no respect to the now obvious quality of the of linesman we all used to watch before Var… total respect to those guys… we can now all see what a good job they actually did… the current VAR operators who have consistently shown themselves to be incompetent should hang their heads in shame.

Come on… there was some horrendous offside decisions given before VAR.

The linesman was level with play yet still gave it so he must have been pretty sure or looking at the wrong player.

Quote Originally Posted by LFC-DPG View Post
    Come on… there was some horrendous offside decisions given before VAR.

The linesman was level with play yet still gave it so he must have been pretty sure or looking at the wrong player.
    I never said they didnt make mistakes far from it, but on the whole they got most right and yes we can all cite painful examples they didnt… Sterling against City 2013 is one that springs to mind, but tbf any mistake in these circumstances is understandable, but this tbh offside decision in terms of difficulty was probably no more than a 5-6 / 10, hence why I believe most linesmen in this instance would have got this decision right.

Yes, remember the Mane goal. I dont recall who it was even against, just how comically offside it was.

My only issue with var is that it can increase corruption. Var get way more time to make decisions and thus consider what can easily be passed as a mistake or 50/50, intervene whenever they feel, otherwise take the onfield decision if it favours what they 'want'.

Other leagues have had corruption scandals, why would england be any different?

I thought with VAR it was the job of the linesman not to flag for offside unless it was blatant. This issue was the root cause of the verbal shitshow that developed. Change the wording at the end of VAR analysis to ' check complete goal' or ' check complete ' for no goal would also be a simple improvement

VAR was introduced to football by governance that saw cituae win a CL title they had been banned from competing in, only for CAS etc, cituae would have had 2 years out of European football. Serious financial impacts. In the end 10 mill fine.

In rugby the VAR process is open to the public. Comms and video feed. That makes a massive difference and would improve performance. As the guy on the armchair you've great tech to assist. Make it public and performance improves.

It's only because of this large human error, I've heard PL officials were officiating in UAE before our games. After the weekend it's not a good look.