Page 353 of 392 FirstFirst ... 253303343346347348349350351352353354355356357358359360363 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,530 of 3917

Thread: Other games

Quote Originally Posted by teesred View Post
    Two years ago they finished over twenty points off top and in fifth. Nobody had the faintest idea they would do what they have done. Anyone suggesting they did is not being truthful.
    There was no indication at all of the machine they've turned into now.
    Are you sure about this tees?

Not sure anyone has said that they did believe Arsenal would become world beaters back then but many were reminding others that they were playing good football and not getting results their play merited. Also that it might be wise not to laugh as they seemed to be turning a corner.

Like a team of Duracell bunny Kuyt and Suarez running about covering everything. Must be easier to do at this stage when you haven't played 2 games a week mist of the season. Or 4 away games in 10 days as we just have.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    It is rapid but not surprising. Arsenal were strong under Wenger and then took a dip in performance but also competing in the transfer market because of the stadium. Once that 10 year period ended they started to invest again and were paying bigger sums of money. Only issue the fans were no longer behind Wenger not realising they fell behind not on the pitch but because of tight finances.

Emery came cause the supporters wanted Wenger out, it didn't work out Arteta came. The footballing side was put in place with Edu but the finances were there. They have built on a team that was doing well and improving it. They won the FA Cup but dismantled that team ecspecially the core and the leadership group Aubamayang, Xhaka etc. They did it quickly which means they have money. They sent on Saliba but could afford to let him stay in France, because White had come in as well. Last season they brought in Jesus and Zinchenko it improved them. Then Rice for 105m who for me is similar to Van Dijk or a Van Persie to United or Cantona a final piece but yet most important piece. Trossard and Haevertz they spent again not resting on their laurels.

That is the core difference with our owners and what they are doing here, after we won the league by a country mile they didn't bring in that higher quality (Thiago i suppose was an effort) but all the signings were experimental, even Jota who turned out class.

2022 again we did well but the signing are always those type where they hope to make money in the future. I don't think Arsenal signed Rice and Havertz hoping for a profit. They hoped for trophies.

The Liverpool owners are largely the problem, even though we won trophies. Even the Manager coming in is a guy whom they know is grateful for the job, maybe above his experience so he isn't going to say like Mourinh said bring me Drogba etc. He will accept the moneyball plan that they hired Edwards for to make them more money by being competitve sometimes winning stuff but making huge sums of money. Edward knows the brief that is why he came, not for success but to make money for himself. Even the Hughes appointment is so lowkey, United went for the guy at City, there is Monchi and other experienced people with reputation and stronger connections. Again Hughes fits FSG model find us gems and hopeful the Liverpool brand the anfield aura etc will help, win a trophy now and again because they are starved and we are okay.

I wish Liverpool well as I support them, however Klopp's magic is what brought us here. All the players including Vna Dijk whom i think him and Allison and Mane are the 3 best players that were here, but Salah i feel is just okay, Van Dijk is showing he is human has so since coming back from that terrible injury though this season he has been boss (but some people say one of the greats of all time I disagree), Robertson shows it was Klopp in his head that made him, he is very limited. Trent as well. All our players and there are 6 or 7 as a I mentioned a period in time were considered the best in the world. They were for a time. Allison for me is one of the best goalkeepers I have ever seen in all my years. But the point is it was all Klopp and FSG hit the jackpot without actually doing much. Coutinho crying for Barcelona also hid their financial willingness. They are running one of the biggest brands in world football like paupers. Yet they are milking massive revenues.
    A brilliant post that encapsulates precisely the situation now and how we got here.

Arsenal had a severe VAR deficit in 20-21 & 21-22 & missed out on 2 or 3 big wins it was easy to see them coming

I did post about it & ppl here were laughing

Quote Originally Posted by redgold View Post
    Yes, I think us and Arsenal have swapped places. Problematic as we aren't on the way up.
    Arsenal's "rise" and ours as well also shows that it doesn't actually take forever. It is a right Manager, humility, belief and patience from the fans and then it works. United have spend massive but lacked all those components. That is why we all know United are just 1 right footballing decision away from chaleinging City. That is to get a right Manager that plays the United way as they call it so that the faithful get behind him etc. United have the purse strings to compete heavily with City. Their owners have spent massively since SAF went just on the wrong players under too many Managers. If Klopp God forbid went there instead of to us he would have destroyed City.

i abhor FSG

Brighton have gone to shit since February. Currently losing 2-0 in the Battle of the South Coast.

Comms just said not a single booking 76 mins into a derby.

Spurs need a second here to make the game interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Are you sure about this tees?

Not sure anyone has said that they did believe Arsenal would become world beaters back then but many were reminding others that they were playing good football and not getting results their play merited. Also that it might be wise not to laugh as they seemed to be turning a corner.
    Spurs play good football, currently in fifth. There's more evidence to suggest they would finished second next season than there was to suggest Arsenal would at the end of the 22 season.
    I might have missed it but I genuinely don't remember anyone on here or even anywhere saying Arsenal were on the up and would be anywhere near the top.
    Laughing at other teams is sad I guess but it's just what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by HLOGI View Post
    Arsenal's "rise" and ours as well also shows that it doesn't actually take forever. It is a right Manager, humility, belief and patience from the fans and then it works. United have spend massive but lacked all those components. That is why we all know United are just 1 right footballing decision away from chaleinging City. That is to get a right Manager that plays the United way as they call it so that the faithful get behind him etc. United have the purse strings to compete heavily with City. Their owners have spent massively since SAF went just on the wrong players under too many Managers. If Klopp God forbid went there instead of to us he would have destroyed City.

i abhor FSG
    Indeed - scary to think what Jurgen would win with that level of backing, Thankfully he was never drawn to that club - he didn’t fee it enough to leave sabbatical - both FSG and us so lucky he is a social loving human, More interested in the emotion, spirit and the collective than just collecting titles. Klopp is all heart and his wife - to who we all owe so much were drawn to this unique - special club, with its amazing supporters from the unique city of Liverpool.

This is just another part of what we are losing,